My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Trying again after medical miscarriage

11 replies

herewegoagain123456 · 13/11/2023 12:22

So I had a missed miscarriage diognosed at my 12 week scan last week. No sign nothing.
Anyway I chose the medical management route and it's all gone smoothly as far as I'm aware.

Anyway just wondered if I can start trying again as soon as the bleeding stops? Has anyone had experiences with this and conceived and all gone okay?

I was a nervous wreck this time due to loosing a baby at 23 weeks but now I'm going to be even worse as this was a missed miscarriage for 4 weeks.

Thanks

OP posts:
Khanga27 · 14/11/2023 17:58

I'm so sorry you've experienced this and for your journey so far.

The hospital should have told you that you need to take a pregnancy test 3 weeks after the medical management. Unfortunately I had a positive test 3 weeks later leading to a scan confirming there were retained products of pregnancy (so still producing hormone), and needed further medical management then medical management.

I do know people who after medical management have fallen pregnant a few months later without similar happening. This will be a difficult time for you so be kind to yourself and allow yourself to recover.

herewegoagain123456 · 02/12/2023 08:24

@Khanga27

I'm still testing positive 3 weeks later......shall I ring up to get checked?

OP posts:
Khanga27 · 02/12/2023 09:10

@herewegoagain123456 Ah I’m sorry you’re still experiencing this. Yes I would ring the EPU department if you can (one at my hospital is unfortunately closed on a weekend) so that they can arrange a scan to see what is going on. For me it was retained products, but hopefully it could also be the hcg hormone taking its time to settle down. If it is retained product they will need to do further management to prevent infection.

herewegoagain123456 · 02/12/2023 10:38

Yea I think I will have to ring Monday.

Thankyou for your help xx

OP posts:
HerbaceousPerennial · 03/12/2023 20:09

Hi @herewegoagain123456, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Just to say I was testing positive 3 weeks post medical miscarriage, same situation with a missed miscarriage diagnosed at 12 weeks. It was retained tissue for me but a very small amount and they’ve basically said it’ll go on its own. They’ve just kept an eye on me and my Hcg has gradually come down. I’ve been having weekly blood tests to monitor and the nurses check on me to see how I’m coping each time, which has been very comforting. Thought it might be useful to share in case that’s what it is for you too.

herewegoagain123456 · 03/12/2023 20:30

@HerbaceousPerennial

Oh god. What a nightmare for you? How long do they say it will pass?
I'm not bleeding still? Are you?

OP posts:
HerbaceousPerennial · 04/12/2023 12:02

No, no bleeding past those initial couple of weeks, although I had a bleed over the weekend which I thought might be a period. Unit seem to think not though and it’s my body trying to get rid of the last of it. It’s been 7 weeks since the medical miscarriage and the nurses think my Hcg will come under the limit this week and I’ll be done, finger crossed. Sorry, I know that doesn’t sound ideal and I wasn’t trying to worry you, quite the opposite! My point is actually it’s been ok. Frustrating, but fine. I’ve not needed any interventions other than the blood tests, and scan at the start to see what was going on. Have you spoken to you EPU? Hopefully they’ve been helpful

herewegoagain123456 · 04/12/2023 15:42

Yea I went for a scan today and yes I have retained products. They thought I may even be pregnant again for a second which is impossible.
So going in for surgery tomorrow as just want it all done

OP posts:
HerbaceousPerennial · 04/12/2023 18:34

Ah I’m sorry to hear that. Glad you’re able to get in quickly for surgery tomorrow, hope it all goes well and you can get some closure. It’s very difficult.

Khanga27 · 04/12/2023 19:00

I’m really sorry to hear, but it’s good you are getting in quickly. I needed surgical management in the end too, as second lot of medical didn’t work. I found the recovery for it easier than the medical management. Hope everything goes well.

herewegoagain123456 · 04/12/2023 21:42

Yea I'm wishing I went the surgical route to start with now as would all be over now. Live and learn I guess.

What a rollercoaster. Roll on a years time

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.