My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Follow up appointment

9 replies

Lithgow2000 · 12/11/2023 18:40

For anyone who has tests done at the hospital after a loss. How long did you wait for your follow up appointment?

Did you wait until afterwards to try again?

TIA x

OP posts:
Pumpkinspice13 · 12/11/2023 22:49

All depends on which test you have had done. Blood tests you can get results from gp or bereavement midwife so no need to wait for follow up appointment. I waited about 6 weeks for a follow up after my first loss. 2nd will be longer as I’ve had placenta tested and the results take 9-12 months currently.

Lithgow2000 · 13/11/2023 06:10

Pumpkinspice13 · 12/11/2023 22:49

All depends on which test you have had done. Blood tests you can get results from gp or bereavement midwife so no need to wait for follow up appointment. I waited about 6 weeks for a follow up after my first loss. 2nd will be longer as I’ve had placenta tested and the results take 9-12 months currently.

I don't think my health board works like that. My gp said my consultant will be in touch with the blood work. I'm hoping this doesn't mean we need to wait for the placenta as they never mentioned a long wait like that.

OP posts:
clhiu · 13/11/2023 09:27

Hi OP, I only ever had bloods done privately whilst waiting for my recurrent MC consultant appointment so I can’t advise about that.
My initial appointment ended up being around 7 weeks after the ERPC, only as I managed to call and have this brought forward, it was originally scheduled for 6 months later. At the time of having that appointment the results on POC genetic testing hadn’t come back yet although I was advised they should take 6-8 weeks, they took almost 12 and had to call every week from 6 weeks to chase. The second time I had a MMC and ERPC, the POC testing took about 10 week I believe so still longer than what they quoted.
It depends on the tests you’re doing and which hospital you’re with.
Inhad thrombophilia bloods done privately and that only took a week to come back.
I hope you get the help you need x

Lithgow2000 · 13/11/2023 10:39

clhiu · 13/11/2023 09:27

Hi OP, I only ever had bloods done privately whilst waiting for my recurrent MC consultant appointment so I can’t advise about that.
My initial appointment ended up being around 7 weeks after the ERPC, only as I managed to call and have this brought forward, it was originally scheduled for 6 months later. At the time of having that appointment the results on POC genetic testing hadn’t come back yet although I was advised they should take 6-8 weeks, they took almost 12 and had to call every week from 6 weeks to chase. The second time I had a MMC and ERPC, the POC testing took about 10 week I believe so still longer than what they quoted.
It depends on the tests you’re doing and which hospital you’re with.
Inhad thrombophilia bloods done privately and that only took a week to come back.
I hope you get the help you need x

Thank you! I had a second trimester miscarriage so luckily (silver lining I guess) the hopsital did the tests there and then. It was only blood tests as we opted not to have a post mortem since the baby was fine and well when it started.

OP posts:
clhiu · 13/11/2023 11:20

@Lithgow2000 I am so sorry for your loss ❤️
I had 6 losses now in total, however all 1st trimester, the latest one was diagnosed at a 12 weeks scan after we already had 2 scans showing everything was fine, it’s super heartbreaking.
I’d advise you contact the hospital department or consultant who did the tests and ask for a timeline. When the time they quoted comes up, unless they have already contacted you with the results, if you can bear it and have time, chase them every week, I find with all matters of NHS it’s the best way to move things along as quickly as possible

MizzMarple · 13/11/2023 11:24

I’m so sorry. In my hospital they aim for 10-12 weeks after and that includes post- mortem results. I think it was a bit longer for me but that was because the consultant was on leave.

Lithgow2000 · 13/11/2023 11:26

MizzMarple · 13/11/2023 11:24

I’m so sorry. In my hospital they aim for 10-12 weeks after and that includes post- mortem results. I think it was a bit longer for me but that was because the consultant was on leave.

Thank you. I hoped for my blood results a little quicker than that 😞 I also didn't opt for a full post mortem. 12 weeks is a stressful thought as I want to try again.

OP posts:
MizzMarple · 13/11/2023 11:27

Also, have you been given the details of the bereavement midwife at your hospital? (might be called different things). They will know timelines and can guide you through it.

Lithgow2000 · 13/11/2023 11:29

clhiu · 13/11/2023 11:20

@Lithgow2000 I am so sorry for your loss ❤️
I had 6 losses now in total, however all 1st trimester, the latest one was diagnosed at a 12 weeks scan after we already had 2 scans showing everything was fine, it’s super heartbreaking.
I’d advise you contact the hospital department or consultant who did the tests and ask for a timeline. When the time they quoted comes up, unless they have already contacted you with the results, if you can bear it and have time, chase them every week, I find with all matters of NHS it’s the best way to move things along as quickly as possible

Thank you so much. I will do that.
I wish you the best of luck and so sorry you've gone through all that heartbreak xx

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.