My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

2nd miscarriage in a row

5 replies

Luby34 · 03/11/2023 16:10

Hello,
I am 40, slim, fit and otherwise healthy. I had a missed miscarriage back in April after we noticed it at my 12 week scan, I had a small peanut in there but had to have a medicinal miscarriage at it had no heartbeat and seemed only 6 weeks in size when i was just over 12. I fell preganant again in August and I had to have a scan yesterday at 11+4 weeks as I had a bleed - there was no embryo, I think it's called a blighted ovum. This second pregnancy I had no implantation bleeding, unlike the first, and I was wondering if, there was no implantation bleeding because there was either no actual embryo? Unless it had disintegrated...

I know my age isn't helping but I have no children (I didnt want them in my 20's as i was too immature and wanted to see the world) and I'm worried my oocytes etc are unhealthy and if anyone else my age has had the same, changed their diet or done blood tests etc, which has helped them to develop a baby and give birth? I do know it's kinda pot luck and everyone is an individual but surely there is at least something I can do to get some answers or help.

Thanks

OP posts:
Rainwind65 · 05/11/2023 13:27

I had a MMC when I was 39, discovered at the routine scan. Then went on to conceive to give birth when I just turned 41. Have you had any fertility testing yet?

Good news is that you seem to get pregnant rather quickly so keep at it. I was also quick to fall pregnant despite my age. I think sadly it is the decline of egg quality at our age so unless there is no genetic / health concerns, just keep healthy lifestyle and try.... Good luck!

Luby34 · 05/11/2023 16:42

Thank you, that's reassuring. I'm just feeling blue at the moment but hopefully there are still some good quality eggs left in me!

I've not been offered any fertility testing, I was looking at kits online, like the hormone blood tests, AMH I think it's called.

OP posts:
lollytribe · 05/11/2023 17:14

I had two miscarriages in the first trimester when I was your age. It turned out to be an underactive thyroid. It might be worth having that tested? You can check to see if you have symptoms on nhs app.

Threeboysadogandacat · 09/11/2023 01:01

I had an early miscarriage at 32 when my ds2 was a baby and then two more at 40. The first with twins at 12+ weeks after seeing heartbeats and the second at 7 weeks which was little more than a very heavy period. I think that the older we get, the less good our egg quality is. I went on to to have a healthy baby at 42. Whilst miscarriages are very common (10% - 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage) so are people having healthy babies in their 40’s. In my very small team at work 3 out of 4 of us had a baby in our 40’s. Whist I agree with @lollytribe, it would be worth checking that your thyroid is ok, I think there’s a good chance that things will work out for you in the future.

Mangotango39 · 10/11/2023 21:44

So sorry your dealing with this.
hope this info helps in some way.

miscarriage 1 (11+6) no other bleeding in pregnancy apart form the MC starting including no implantation.

miscarriage 2 (MMC blighted ovum) no bleeding or implantation bleeding. Went for d&c option.

pregnancy 3 (now over 26 weeks) implantation bleeding followed by spotting in first trimester. Continued bleeds until recently!!

consistently very low symptoms, never been sick in a pregnancy etc.

it's rotten luck but this time I found acupuncture helped my anxiety (whether it made a difference to the pregnancy continuing I have no idea!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.