Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I had surgical management of miscarriage today - I want to reassure anyone who is worried like I was

nettersrunboulder86 · 23/03/2022 17:36

Hi to anyone who is looking for a bit of reassurance around surgical management of a miscarriage in their first pregnancy.

I had my 12 week scan Wednesday last week and it showed my baby had stopped growing at 9 weeks and had no heartbeat. I had been bleeding lightly and had had some pain for a week previous. I was given an appointment at the EPU the following Tuesday and given information on surgical and medical management. After initially not wanting the surgical option I read some accounts of medical management on here and decided I'd rather have someone else take care of things for me.

My booking appointment was yesterday, the nurse discussed my options with me with no pressure to do either one, it was completely my decision and she answered all questions I had. My partner was welcome to come into the appointment with me. She was really friendly and I already felt more confident in my choice last night and felt I knew what to expect. As expected they ask you lots of questions and you have to sign some consent forms. I could get an appointment for the surgical management the next morning so I went for it so I wasn't sat waiting and getting anxious.

We got to the hospital at 7.30am and went straight to the ward. I had a private room with my own toilet and my partner could stay in there the whole time. The nurses took my blood pressure, oxygen levels and temperature and told me again what to expect. We were a bit delayed as someone else was in more urgent need of the operating theatre. An anaesthetist came to see me ask me questions and tell me what would happen. I was worried about the cannula and he said they would do their best to distract me I was also told when I was asleep they may put a breathing tube in the top of my windpipe. At 9.15 I was told to put my gown on given ibuprofen and paracetamol to take orally and the nurse inserted 2 pessaries into my vagina which was fine and done under the covers to preserve my dignity. Later the surgical team came to explain to me what the surgery entailed and again I could ask questions. At 11.15 they came to take me down. I was wheeled down to theatre in my bed and had to hop off onto a bed where they prepare you for the anesthetic. I was really nervous about being put to sleep but the were really nice and had a chat to distract me. I had some sticky things on to monitor me, a blood pressure cuff and a cannula put in which was fine! They have me some medicine to relax me and then they injected the medicine to put me to sleep. The next thing I knew I was waking up!

I woke up in the recovery ward, sitting up and feeling really awake an lucid with cover over me and a pad between my legs. They checked I wasn't in too much pain and got me a heated pad. After a little cry (relief) and checking my blood pressure, oxygen and temperature, and a check and replacement of my pad they sent me back up to the ward to see my partner within a few minutes.

I could have a drink and eat something straight away. I had 2 cups of tea, a sandwich and a donut. I had to wait for 2 hours and if I had eaten, dunk and had a pee I could leave. I felt a bit tummy achey for the two hours. It's now 2 hours later and I have very little in the way of tummy ache and my bleeding has been minimal.

I feel tonnes better, I felt better than I have done for weeks in the recovery room. It was a long day but it was absolutely fine. I was so scared this morning but I am so happy I chose to have the surgical option as they said it went perfectly. I hope this helps someone else feel a bit better than I have done over the last week. I'm happy to answer questions about what happened if I missed anything xxx

I

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotADressPerson · 11/04/2022 07:26

Thank you for this OP. X

Please
or

nettersrunboulder86 · 11/04/2022 09:02

@NotADressPerson pleased you found it helpful Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotADressPerson · 11/04/2022 16:08

@nettersrunboulder86 I did thank you, I've got mine this week. It has to be a General Anaesthetic because of the size of the gestational sac.
Similarly to you, I had my 12 week scan and found out the baby died at 10w 3days.

When does it stop being so devastating? :(

Please
or

nettersrunboulder86 · 11/04/2022 17:13

@NotADressPerson so sorry for your loss. I struggled to really accept what had happened until after the procedure as I was so worried about it and I still haven't really fully processed it. Sending hugs to you x

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotADressPerson · 11/04/2022 18:06

@nettersrunboulder86 Massive hugs to you too x

Please
or

Gelasia · 11/04/2022 18:18

I'm so sorry to those of you who have suffered this loss. OP, thank for sharing this and wishing you all the best.

Please
or

mais · 11/04/2022 21:39

Thank you for sharing @nettersrunboulder86, I am due in to hospital in the morning for this and found your post really reassuring.
Grateful hugs to you for sharing and wishing you all the best.

Please
or

NotADressPerson · 12/04/2022 07:14

@mais So sorry you're going through this too :(
Will be thinking of you today.
Mine is tomorrow.

Please
or

onelostsoulswimminginafishbowl · 12/04/2022 09:28

Thanks so much for sharing and I am so sorry for all of you that have had losses. Mine stopped growing at nearly 6 weeks but hasn't come out naturally yet so I have been referred for surgery, I should hopefully receive a call tomorrow from the hospital. I am in NZ so it's slightly different as I am a 8 hour round trip to the nearest hospital and we still have some covid rules in place. I am hoping the experience is not too bad.

Thanks for sharing and wishing us all a gentle recovery.

Please
or

nettersrunboulder86 · 12/04/2022 18:31

@onelostsoulswimminginafishbowl so sorry to hear about your loss. @mais I hope today went as well as it could do for you

OP's posts:
Please
or

mais · 12/04/2022 22:11

Hi all, well that went as well as could be expected. The hospital side of it was all fine and I’m very happy that I chose the surgical option.
Some details in case it helps anyone.
I had two tablets to take this morning at 6am at home (3 hrs approx before surgery) to help cervix soften and dilate so procedure would be easier. I didn’t expect that it would start things off very quickly (within 30 mins) I was bleeding quite heavily, this did upset me to be honest - I think it would have been appropriate for someone in the hospital to let me know this was a possibility.
I was in hospital before 8am and admitted, checks done etc and up in the ward just before 9am. I didn’t have long to get gowned up when they were ready to take me down to theatre. They prioritise this surgery and try to have them down first in the day.
The procedure went fine, I had very little pain, and bleeding is light. I was back from recovery by about 10:30am I think.
I left hospital at around 2pm once I felt ok and had tea, toast and been to the bathroom and had no problem with pain etc.
The doctor said they scanned me after the procedure to make sure everything was gone so I don’t have to go back for a follow up appointment just check in with my gp in about 6 weeks.

My only pain that I didn’t expect are my legs! They are seriously tired/sore - I expect from being in stirrups for procedure. I haven’t needed any painkillers since but I might take something before I go to bed tonight just for my legs.
Thinking of you tomorrow @NotADressPerson and if there is anything you like to know just ask & I’ll try and keep an eye on thread.
Thank you again @nettersrunboulder86 for starting this thread and sharing, it was very timely for me and lovely to talk with others going through the same thing. I hope you are doing ok.
Thinking of you too @onelostsoulswimminginafishbowl and wishing you all the best.

Please
or

NotADressPerson · 13/04/2022 06:29

@mais Thank you for letting us know how it went. I'm sorry the hospital didn't inform you that you may start bleeding once you've taken the tablets :(

How are you feeling this morning? How are your legs?

I know this is probably stupid with everything else I've got going on. But I'm a bit worried about everyone seeing me naked because I'm overweight flabby and I just imagine them laughing at all my cellulite legs whilst they're in stirrups... I've had two children via c section but I was awake then and it felt different. I really don't want to be worrying about this as well as the procedure but it is planing on my mind and I feel really embarrassed about it :(

Please
or

nettersrunboulder86 · 13/04/2022 12:42

@NotADressPerson this is probably a bit late but please don't worry. Everyone at the hospital was really lovely and very respectful and I'm sure they will all be super professional while you are under anaesthetic. The surgeons will be gynaecology surgeons and the anaesthetist and nurses more general I think so I'm sure they've all seen a plethora of different looking bodies. When I woke up I was back in my bed with my covers on and felt like I'd been looked after x

OP's posts:
Please
or

nettersrunboulder86 · 13/04/2022 12:42

@NotADressPerson hope it has all been okay today x

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotADressPerson · 13/04/2022 14:21

Hi all,

Thanks for the reassurance. Although I still worked about that aspect, it had to be done so nothing I can do about it now!

Everything went really well, I feel good now. Relieved it's all over. Not in pain at the moment anyway. Glad it's done xx

Please
or

Indianna2006 · 15/04/2022 08:34

@nettersrunboulder86 hi can I enquire with you was your partner allowed in day care unit with you or not?

And also as you were technically and inpatient for a day. Did you have to do a PCR test before the procedure to prove you were covid free?

Please
or

nettersrunboulder86 · 15/04/2022 14:00

Hi @Indianna2006 yes my partner was allowed in and we had a private room. I had a PCR test when I got there which came back about 20 minutes later.

OP's posts:
Please
or

mais · 18/04/2022 21:05

Hey @NotADressPerson sorry I disappeared and wasn’t around to reassure you, I hope you are still doing ok. I kind of hibernated for the last week, rested as much as I could and spent time with family.
Thinking of you and everyone else here x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.