Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

40s and miscarried

Mara2017 · 07/02/2022 00:02

Hi,

I miscarried the week before last on my birthday. Previous week I had a private scan to reassure me and they couldn't see a pregnancy so referred me to epu. Epu scanned me and baby measured 6 weeks yet was supposed to be 10 weeks. The scanner said I'll probably start to bleed soon unless I'd got my dates wrong. Cue hubby and I working dates and thought it was definitely possible.

Three days later, on my birthday afternoon, no idea how I kept it together but just about managed and then after everyone had left my home after cake and dinner, contractions began:(. I took paracetamol and told my husband to make me a hot water bottle and that I need to prepare for a loss.

I'm in shock with what what I saw and the blood. My husband was trying to put our son to sleep and then we had to call my dad so that hubby and I could go to the hospital.

Pregnancy was a surprise but welcomed and just couldn't believe my luck. Just turned 44 and wanted a sibling for DS but thought it was impossible, maybe it is:(..

My son's birth was traumatic as he was injured badly during delivery(disability). I thought this was my chance to have a normal pregnancy and I feel so lost now.

The bleeding started lightly and then my body expelled it all on my birthday. It lasted 6 days in total. The scan confirmed that I miscarried and so no need to have medication or surgery.

I'm hoping this is therapeutic. I was under extreme stress at work too. The grief comes in waves. Is this it for me ie too old, no further chance? How soon will I get my period.Worried I won't. Was I being foolish to continue at my age, high bmi?

The baby gave me so much hope and light at a dark time.

Is it possible for me again? I had normal periods every 28 days, is it possible for me to get pregnant again and keep it? I'm on levothyroxine, mild thyroid problem and that's about it with my health. I have fibroids which are not in my uterus which is a good thing I've been told.

I've had no complications since but using opk sticks. Time is not on my side of itSad

Feel alone as not told family, hubby is supportive at least ❤️ . I've asked hospital to pass me remains after tests - how long does this tend to take to return?

Love to you all, it's heartbreaking and hope we can all recover and feel OK soon.

Just very lost, sorry this is written so confusingly.

OP's posts:
Please
or

blyn72 · 07/02/2022 00:32

I'm so sorry, that must have been a blow to you, Mara. Miscarriages are horrible, painful and frightening.

Is there any reason to doubt you will become pregnant again? Many people do after miscarrying and everything goes smoothly next time.

Right now you need to nurture yourself and try not to think too much about becoming pregnant. In a couple of months you will feel a lot better.

Flowers

Please
or

sandgrown · 07/02/2022 05:37

So sorry for your loss but just to say my surprise baby was conceived at 44 yrs and 4 months and all was fine so there is hope. Fingers crossed for you x

Please
or

Mara2017 · 07/02/2022 11:16

Thank you Blyn, appreciate your response and kind words. l mean that very sincerely.

No real reason to think it can't happen apart from feeling like I have a lot of bad luck in general.

I think we will wait until after my first period to try again. Didn't plan it so taking better care of myself now too. Xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mara2017 · 07/02/2022 11:19

Thanks Sandgrown. How lovely to hear that you managed it just fine at our age!

That gives me hope which I really need. Was that your first if you don't mind me asking and were you in very good health just before? X

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.