Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Another missed miscarriage.. erpc advice.. scared

Hayley220 · 28/11/2021 21:51

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I am going through my 2nd missed miscarriage. I am very lucky to have a 19 month old son who is my absolute world. He is my rainbow baby. Started ttc number 2 but unfortunately this baby wasnt meant to be. I am sheduled to have an erpc on Friday. I feel sick with worry, i hate hospitals, im scared to be put under as I havent been since I was a child. But I have to get this over with, my first miscarriage I waited for it to happen naturally and ended up losing too much blood and being rushed to hospital for help anyway.

Very anxious and wondering other peoples thoughts on erpc/d&c.

Also.. I heard about progesterone now being offered to women in future pregnancies so this gives me hope now. I dont know if there is an issue for me.. but after 2 miscarriages and my son was a twin (an empty sac was found at early scan).. i am worried I wont have another.

X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunbird24 · 28/11/2021 21:57

Hi @Hayley220, so sorry you’re going through this. I had an emergency ERPC in August, as I tend to haemorrhage too. Happy to chat about it if it helps you 💐

Please
or

Hayley220 · 28/11/2021 21:59

Yes, thanks for replying! How was the erpc? I am a little worried they wont remove everything properly and I will still end up with the haemorrhage. X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Shortmamashortcycles · 28/11/2021 22:03

Oh love, I'm so sorry. I had my erpc in September and you'll be totally fine. I much preferred it to medical management as the chances of having retained tissue are much lower. In my case, the MMC was late enough that medical or natural management would have been much higher risk.

Being put under does carry a small bit of risk, but honestly it's very very safe. I've had to have several general anaesthetics and they're not scary - you just feel woozy before and after. They'll take excellent care of you.

In terms of preparing for the time in hospital, there's a recent thread here which has good advice: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/miscarriage/4409029-Surgery-for-MMC-tomorrow-advice-please?msgid=112742214

I can't advise on progesterone, but I don't think it would help for missed miscarriages. It helped me to think about it like my body was so keen to carry the baby that it kept going even after it was clear the baby wasn't meant to be. Progesterone is more helpful when the womb isn't supporting the pregnancy well.

I don't know if it helps but try to remember that your body did everything it could to look after your little bean. You did nothing wrong and your body did nothing wrong. Look after yourself xx

Please
or

Shortmamashortcycles · 28/11/2021 22:05

P.s. I actually haemorrhaged during my EPRC and I believe I would not have survived if it had happened at home. Being in a hospital was completely the right call and much less traumatic for me as I was unconscious for all of it (gave the surgeon a scare though!)

Please
or

Sunbird24 · 28/11/2021 22:34

The ERPC was the easiest bit of the whole experience for me. They’ll talk you through the risks, which sound awful but are really remote. The Med staff will be lovely and kind, you’ll go to sleep and when you wake up it’ll be done.
I had some spotting for a week to ten days, but it was light. I’d lost over a litre of blood in the 4hrs I was in A&E, drip, blood transfusion, the works. The ERPC was the only way to stop the bleeding, so it did what it was supposed to, and they even cleaned me up while I was under.

Ref the progesterone - I was on it for that pregnancy but they tested baby and found a major chromosome defect so it would never have helped. I had another embryo transferred on Friday and am on it again, hoping for a better outcome this time.

It’s completely natural to feel anchois about all this stuff, but trust in the medical professionals, they will look after you.

Please
or

Sunbird24 · 28/11/2021 22:35

Sorry, the spotting was after the procedure, not before, realised that was a bit confusing.

Please
or

Hayley220 · 30/11/2021 19:39

Thanks all, is the tablet they give you first painful? Had my blood tests and swabs today in preparation.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Shortmamashortcycles · 30/11/2021 20:04

@Hayley220, do you mean the misoprostol pessary beforehand? No, not at all. It's just meant to encourage your cervix to start softening to help the procedure to go smoothly. You pop it in like a tiny tampon and the most you might get is a cramp or two before you go under.

If you have any nerves or worries, definitely ask the nurses, the surgeon or the anaesthetists, they should all be looking after you on the day. Everyone was very kind to me so hoping you have the same experience.

Hang in there ❤❤

Please
or

RedQueen81 · 01/12/2021 14:48

I am so sorry you have to go through this OP, and I hope you will heal quickly. Wishing you a successful next pregnancy if you decide to try again.

I had ERPC recently for MMC, as Sunbird24 said it was the easiest part of the whole ordeal for me. Hospital staff were lovely including nurses, doctor and anaesthetists. I had GA which I was really grateful for, it was all painless and I have no recollection. I was sad but relieved afterwards.

Try to relax and distract yourself with something before going in theatre and it will be all over quickly.

Please
or

AdrianeMole · 02/12/2021 21:44

Hi @Hayley220 hope all goes smoothly tomorrow x

Please
or

Sunbird24 · 03/12/2021 13:29

How are you @Hayley220?

Please
or

Hayley220 · 03/12/2021 19:42

Hello,

I went in for 7.30 this morning and I was the 2nd one going down about 9.30. It was fine and not as scary as i thought, my main worry was the ga but i just closed my eyes and its the best way, much better than my natural miscarriage. I havent had loads of bleeding just really light, so i am not sure whats normal? They said to take a test in 3 weeks which is christmas eve, so it could make my christmas rubbish if i have retained products, but it sounds like that is rare?

I havent had any clots or anything yet. I dont think i should expect these if all went well? They said i only lost 20ml of blood that sounds tiny. I do just have period cramps.

Thanks for caring everyone. Xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunbird24 · 03/12/2021 19:50

Glad it was better than you expected! You shouldn’t have clots now i don’t think. For me, I had some light bleeding/spotting for about 10 days, and think the HCG tests were negative by about 2 weeks. Next period took about 6 weeks to turn up though so don’t worry if that takes longer than you expect.
Hope you’re being looked after nicely tonight x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.