Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

EPU won’t offer surgical option - is this normal?

Luckyme30 · 24/09/2021 12:45

Hi all

Ive just found out that my my baby has no heartbeat, after bleeding for 5 days there is still no sign of a big bleed or me passing the pregnancy.

The EPU have advised there is no option for surgical management due to Covid. I understand this to some extent but without going too much into my past history, I have had previous terminations where having used the tablets they give have not worked and have ended up needing surgery anyway.
Ive suffered past traumas that have made me very anxious of having any type of hospital treatment and so explained my situation to the nurse (whilst hysterical having just been told my baby has no heartbeat) only to be met with a rather cold response that absolutely no they can not offer the surgical procedure at the moment because of Covid.

Ive asked to speak to a consultant and I’m waiting for a call back to discuss this further but I wondered if it’s normal not to be offered surgery to begin with?

Thanks all in advance x

OP's posts:
Please
or

cultkid · 24/09/2021 12:46

How many weeks did this happen at

That is awful

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 24/09/2021 12:56

Baby measured around 8 weeks. By my dates I should be 10 weeks, but they are saying I’m around 8/9 weeks.
Bleeding has been going on for 5 days now and it’s small amounts just when I wipe :(

OP's posts:
Please
or

BaaBaaEmily · 24/09/2021 12:59

Hi OP I'm so so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I think a lot of trusts have blanket bans on this surgery at the moment due to Covid and staff shortages. I know that my trust are no longer offering them unless medical management had failed. I think you've done the right thing in requesting to speak to a consultant - I would write down all your reasons for requesting surgical management so that when they call you can be as logical as possible.
I really hope you get the outcome you'd like, it's a shitty time as it is without having to suffer more.

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 24/09/2021 13:04

@BaaBaaEmily thank you Flowers

I just have such a complicated past history and had counselling all throughout my pregnancy with my son. I tried explaining but the nurse was very unsympathetic of my problems and just insisted that surgery was not an option.

Good idea re the list, I had a missed call from the hospital whilst on my way home this morning so hoping they call me back as woukd really like to be able to explain my situation to a consultant - just hope they are sympathetic to me..

OP's posts:
Please
or

Unicornish · 24/09/2021 13:06

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I found myself in the same position as you last year. I was able to have the surgery (paid for by the NHS) at a local BPAS clinic. They were absolutely amazing. Incredibly kind and compassionate. It might be worth looking into whether BPAS could offer you surgical management.

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 24/09/2021 13:25

@Unicornish thank you so much for your response!

Did you have to contact BPAS directly or did the NHS/EPU do it on your behalf? I’m so sad that I can’t do it through the NHS as I know the local BPAS to me don’t offer surgery so would mean travelling but I just don’t think I can go through with the tablets again for them to not work :( x

OP's posts:
Please
or

cultkid · 24/09/2021 13:44

Call the EPU ask for the matron and say you're going to pals if they don't offer you a surigical time slot by the end of the day

How awful for you

Please
or

Onebabyandamadcat · 24/09/2021 13:48

OP I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I had a MMC at the start of the month and said I wanted surgical management. I was offered a MVA which is a procedure that is done under local anesthesia rather than a general. I couldn't stand the idea of waiting for nature to take its course or medical management which might fail.

My understanding is that my trust is doing a lot more of the MVA procedures due to covid as it has less risks than a D&C.

When speaking to the consultant I would certainly be pushing for this. The midwives, drs and sonographers I spoke with were all very adamant that this is my body and my decision and therefore whatever I chose would be respected and provided. This is a hard enough time for you and a horrible enough situation without being forced to wait for the miscarriage to happen. I'd also point out to the consultant that they must still be doing some surgical management as medical management often doesn't work. If they're still offering abortions they'll also be undertaking some similar surgical procedures so why can't you also have one?

If they continue to deny you this I'd be asking them for the complaints procedure and taking it further.

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 24/09/2021 13:57

@cultkid

Call the EPU ask for the matron and say you're going to pals if they don't offer you a surigical time slot by the end of the day

How awful for you

I was thinking that I may involve PALS the way she basically argued with me over my choice was appalling and to be quite honest I feel she made me even more hysterical/upset than I already was.

It is a little long winded but I have had a surgical procedure which resulted in scarring (Ashermans Syndrome) so the nurse was very rude in questioning why I feel surgery would be appropriate given previous uterine surgery caused scarring..

Ive called EPU and asked to speak to the nurse again.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Luckyme30 · 24/09/2021 14:05

Thank you and I’m sorry for your loss.

Ive had an MVA under a local (after the pills didn’t work) previously and it was so traumatic, they had to stop half way through as I was in agony and fully aware of the whole procedure. As a result of the MVA I had uterine scarring which caused me to develop Ashermans syndrome along with PTSD from the whole procedure as it resulted in lots of surgeries after. I was too upset to go through my entire history with the nurse today and she was just very argumentative towards me, she suggested I would be crazy to have surgery if it caused my issues last time - though the problem is the pills don’t work! So it’s inevitable that I would have these issues again this time around.

I am waiting to hear from a consultant but I absolutely am in a better frame of my mind than I was this morning and so will be asking for them to reconsider based on my previous history.
I agree if they are offering this when the medication does not work why can’t they offer this to me.

I understand the NHS is under a lot of pressure but this is hard and being as Ive been bleeding 5 days already nothing seems to be happening. X

OP's posts:
Please
or

idontlikealdi · 24/09/2021 14:09

I had to go private, or a four week wait. It's an awful situation to be in, I'm sorry.

Please
or

Unicornish · 24/09/2021 14:41

[quote Luckyme30]@Unicornish thank you so much for your response!

Did you have to contact BPAS directly or did the NHS/EPU do it on your behalf? I’m so sad that I can’t do it through the NHS as I know the local BPAS to me don’t offer surgery so would mean travelling but I just don’t think I can go through with the tablets again for them to not work :( x[/quote]
I contacted them directly. They were very helpful on the phone. In the end I travelled to one which was a bit further away because they could get me in sooner.

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 24/09/2021 14:57

Oh wow! I had considered this too. Would you mind me asking what you had to pay and who you saw? I hope you don’t mind me asking. Feel free to PM if you prefer

OP's posts:
Please
or

Luckyme30 · 24/09/2021 14:58

@Unicornish thank you. I think I’ll give them a call. It looks as though I may need to do this and travel, possibly stay over. My partner does not drive to Epilepsy and we have a 1 year old so it just makes things a little more difficult.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tiggerwhocamefortea · 26/09/2021 10:58

I've miscarried several times at home - it can take up to a week for the main part to happen but your body can and will do what it needs to do eventually it might just mean a few more days x

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 26/09/2021 13:51

@tiggerwhocamefortea thank you. Ive been bleeding for a week but nothing yet. I’m booked for a D&C under ultrasound guidance on Friday next week if it’s not happened before then x

OP's posts:
Please
or

tiggerwhocamefortea · 26/09/2021 17:43

I'd try lots of hot baths - relaxes the uterus muscles and increases blood flow to the area which might make it progress. My 12 week miscarriage started bleeding on a Friday and it wasn't until the following Friday that I then passed everything x

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 26/09/2021 17:55

@tiggerwhocamefortea I do love a bath, so any excuse to have a bath Smile will try this x

OP's posts:
Please
or

cultkid · 28/09/2021 07:06

How are things x

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 28/09/2021 15:19

@cultkid I’m starting to get very heavy blessing so I am thinking that things are probably going to happen very soon Confused

OP's posts:
Please
or

cultkid · 28/09/2021 16:28

Oh my love

Do you have proper pain relief

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 28/09/2021 19:18

@cultkid oops sorry meant to say bleeding!

I have codeine and Ibuprofen so hoping it’ll be enough :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

cultkid · 29/09/2021 11:52

How are you today xx

Please
or

Luckyme30 · 29/09/2021 12:09

@cultkid thank you for asking :) still nothing much has happened, despite the cramps ramping up last night, I went to bed and they eased off. They are starting to ramp up again today Confused x

OP's posts:
Please
or

cultkid · 29/09/2021 12:13

Well here's hoping you get to be seen tomorrow for a proper sort out by surgeons

So sorry you've been waiting so long how awful xx

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.