Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Potential Miscarriage

Nich407 · 13/04/2021 19:59

Hiya, there’s not much to this post, I suppose I would like to here other people’s stories. Last week at 6+4 weeks I began to have some dark brown spotting, I also did a clear blue ( i know there a pain in the arse) but I did one anyway and it had gone from 3+ down to 2-3. I immediately booked a private scan for the next day to then be told they couldn’t see nothing but a gestational sac and I was measuring at 4 weeks. They told me to come back in a few weeks and they’d be able to confirm what was happening. Knowing my dates and my regularly cycle pretty well I new something wasn’t right. I then went to hospital and managed to get a scan for a few days later. They confirmed that they could see a yolk sac and a very faint fetal pole, but I was measuring around 5 weeks at this point. My next scan with the hospital is in 6 days and I’m literally convinced it’s the end, the wait is killing me, I’ve just gone and done another clear blue and it still says 2-3 although it’s been a week since the spotting and the last tests. My family and friends are being really positive and telling me to hope for the best, but I suppose it’s my way of coping I am convinced it’s over. The thought of having faith in this situation is driving me insane. Has anyone got any experiences of a similar situation please give me the good and the bad. Sorry for the long post! And Thankyou for anyone who does reply.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lijay · 14/04/2021 20:32

Hi, my experience was a bad one but I have everything crossed for you that yours is good! You will find plenty of stories either way so it's not all over but wanted to share my experience so you don't feel alone if it is bad.
I had spotting at around 5 weeks but only lasted a day so assumed it was normal. Then had some more at 7 and 8 weeks. Got referred to EPU at 8 weeks who scanned me and could only see a gestational sac and yolk sac. They told me either I had my dates wrong and was earlier than I thought ( 5 or 6 weeks) or it wasn't a viable pregnancy and would end in miscarriage. Went back 10 days later when I was around 9 and a half weeks and they told me there was now a fetal pole but no heartbeat and I would need to go back in 7 days. However slightly different to yours at that scan at 9 and a half weeks they told me they could see blood in my yolk sac which 'wasnt a good omen' I miscarried a few days later before going back for my follow up scan.
Between my scans my husband was also really positive, and although he was trying to make me feel better it made me feel worse. I wanted to prepare for the worst so that I wouldn't be devastated by the outcome. Do whatever you need to do to get through the next 6 days OP. It's tough but you will make it through. Fingers crossed you have a good outcome! X

Please
or

Flopsy88 · 15/04/2021 13:26

So sorry you're going through this @Nich407 ❤ I had a similar experience and it didn't end well unfortunately. I had a scan at 7+4 which showed a heartbeat but measuring 5+2. They told me it looked healthy and I must have got my dates wrong but I knew I hadn't. I then did a clearblue digital to try and reassure myself but it had gone back down to 2-3 weeks after showing 3+ weeks nearly 2 weeks prior to this. At that point I decided to accept it wasn't going to work out, deleted my pregnancy apps etc and prepared for the worst, which definitely made it much much easier to cope with when I started bleeding and miscarried at 9 weeks. It was actually a relief not being in limbo anymore. I felt really isolated in between the scan and the miscarriage because my family, friends and partner were telling me it would be fine and to stop stressing about it. I know they were trying to make me feel better but I knew something was wrong and I felt they were dismissing my anxiety.

I really do hope it's a better outcome for you. There are lots of stories on here from women who were in the same situation and it was ok in the end. Good luck xxx

Please
or

Nich407 · 16/04/2021 15:02

Thank you so much, @Lijay and @Flopsy88 for replying and sharing your experiences. I recently did another clear blue which has gone back up too 3+ I’m not sure what it means but I have my scan Monday, this weeks has been hell I’m so glad to get some clarification on Monday xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Flopsy88 · 16/04/2021 15:34

That sounds positive @Nich407 !! I really hope you get good news on Monday! The wait in between scans must be agony. I will keep everything crossed for you 🤞🏻 xx

Please
or

Nich407 · 16/04/2021 16:31

@Flopsy88 Thankyou so much 💕

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lijay · 16/04/2021 17:09

@Nich407 I have everything crossed for you too! I hope the weekend goes quickly so you can get your answer x

Please
or

Nich407 · 16/04/2021 17:16

@Lijay Thankyou, this week has been incredibly slow so wishing away this next weekend, will update you as soon as I know, hopefully I have some good news xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lijay · 16/04/2021 18:48

The waiting is the worst part, sends your mind into overdrive! Try and stay away from google if you can. Keep us updated, I'll be thinking of you Monday! Here for you if you need to talk about it after. X

Please
or

Lijay · 19/04/2021 07:36

Good luck today @Nich407 thinking of you x

Please
or

Nich407 · 19/04/2021 13:59

@Lijay @Flopsy88 Thankyou guys for being so great, unfortunately they’ve confirmed a missed miscarriage the baby and sac haven’t grew at all since the last scan. They’ve shared all the options with me and told me I can ring them later today or tomorrow. Has anyone got advice on D&C route or medical option. I’m really torn between the two, Thankyou again guys, you’ve really helped l 💕

OP's posts:
Please
or

Flopsy88 · 19/04/2021 15:26

Oh @Nich407 I am so so sorry. I really hoped it would be different for you 💔 I don't have experience of either option because I miscarried naturally in the end however if was in that position I would probably go for the D&C just to get it over with quicker. I had spotting for a couple of days before I started cramping quite badly, I imagine it was a bit like what early contractions feel like although I've never given birth so I don't know. I was quite shocked by the amount of blood loss and had to sit on the toilet for a couple of hours whilst I passed quite large clots. My understanding is that the medication they give you for medical management makes that process start quickly and it can be painful. It's a very personal decision though. They were discussing this on the Worst Girl Gang podcast (which I strongly recommend btw) and it sounds like some women find medical management preferable because going through that process gives them closure. I'm so sorry you're having to make this decision, it's so shit. I hope your DP is taking good care of you. Have the hospital given you a sick note? Xx

Please
or

Lijay · 19/04/2021 17:53

@Nich407 I am so sorry you're going through this. It's a tough time. I was also given both options but my miscarriage started naturally in the end before I made the choice. I was swaying more towards medical management but mainly because I would be at home with my husband as my hospital are not allowing partners.
I hope you're doing as ok as you can be. It helped me to know I wasn't alone and a mmc is very common. It was a tough couple of weeks so here if you need any support or just want to know what anything is like x

Please
or

Nich407 · 19/04/2021 19:44

Thankyou so much guys @Flopsy88@ @Lijay I’ve opted for the d&c and managed to get in tomorrow morning. Partner has been great and understanding of the situation and my family have been amazing aswel, I’ve been blessed with two daughters which I’m currently holding close to me, I feel a sense of relief now, might sound weird but being in limbo was horrendous, knowing the outcome I feel pretty okay for this type of situation. Thankyou again guys!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lijay · 19/04/2021 21:22

@Nich407 it's not wierd at all, I felt exactly the same. Once you know what's happening you can start to come to terms with it. So glad you have plenty of support around you!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.