Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

3 concurrent miscarriages

Notgivingup2 · 02/04/2021 15:40

Hi there, I'm just at the end of my third MC. My first at 12 weeks, the second at 7 and now after seeing a heartbeat (at 7 weeks) at 10 weeks. I'm going private for quicker investigations than my NHS trust can offer to see if there's a problem as I'm now 39 and fast running out of time.

Whilst i've stopped bleeding, i've got really bad cramping pain after having my first medical management. The midwife said it could be my uterus shrinking down and that it gets worse with the more pregnancies you have. Given i've never got very far in my pregnancies this sounds a bit odd to me. Is she right or should i be worried?

Secondly, I've had to fight for everything with my NHS trust. They weren't going to examine the foetus even though this was no 3 until i made a bit of a scene about it. They refused my initial requests for viability scans after my previous two MC until my doctor pushed for it. It's been a battle. What is the normal care plan for concurrent MC? Does anyone know what i should expect from them if i fall pregnant again? I saw one person on Tommy's saying they had weekly scans from their NHS trust after 3 MC which i can't see happening personally!

Sorry for the long rambling message.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 02/04/2021 21:33

My nhs trust offers 1 viability scan at about 9 weeks after a MC.

In terms of testing, youd want hormones, androgens and APS testing for a start. The others often mentioned are natural killer cells but I dont know much about those.

Please
or

VenusStarr · 03/04/2021 15:36

I'm sorry for your losses @Notgivingup2 unfortunately miscarriage care is generally substandard in the uk. I've had 4 losses (2 whilst under the care of a Tommy's clinic) and not had a great experience.

I hope you get some results from the karyotyping on your little one this time. I got results after my 4th loss in October which confirmed that he was healthy, so it helped us look at alternative tests privately. I'd already had the standard nhs recurrent loss tests after my 3rd which included antiphospholipid syndrome, lupus anticoagulant and thyroid which were all normal. So we were told to just keep trying, and then I lost another one.

I'm under a private reproductive immunologist now and he's diagnosed me with an overactive immune system (aggressive nk cells) so my body essentially attacks the baby.

Best wishes xx

Please
or

Notgivingup2 · 04/04/2021 09:09

@VenusStarr Thansk for sharing your experience. Makes me feel so much better to know i'm not alone or a freak, but i'm so sorry you've had so many losses, it must be so hard to deal with. People are telling me 'i'm so strong' and it's not true and makes me feel like a fraud. I haven't coped with any of this well and with every loss comes the more urgent need to make this happen all the more, but also the quiet terror of becoming pregnant and experiencing another loss yet again or worse at a later stage of pregnancy. I think i will be a nervous wreck the whole time and maybe my mental health with sabotage it.

I do suspect that i will be diagnosed with something similar. I suffer terrible hay fever and have been told by a doctor my immune system is super switched on. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with me. I can't wait for my appointment and to be able to start trying again. I have this sixth sense that this last baby was killed by my body. I'd read that once you have a heartbeat at 8 week you have a 98% chance of everything going ok - i was just over that. I think i'm going to ask for a care plan from my NHS trust once i've got my diagnosis and am pregnant again and get them to agree what they will do to support me. I hope you get those two lines soon.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.