Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Should I be bleeding by now? Early loss with no previous periods due to breastfeeding

ItsAllBlahBlahBlah · 17/02/2021 17:24

I'm really confused so I am hoping someone can offer some advice. I found out a couple of weeks ago I was pregnant, unplanned and completely a suprise as I haven't had a period in nearly two years from having ds2 due to breastfeeding. Because I couldn't pin point a lmp I was sent to hospital for a scan which found nothing, so it was assumed I was still early on. Two lots of hcp tests found though my levels were dropping. Last Tuesday it reached 5hcp and it was declared a loss. Me and DH are devestated, despite being unplanned, the baby was very much wanted.
Since then I have had almost day on day off very bad cramps, to the point I've been wearing a pad overnight for fear of waking up to feed DS to a flood. However, absolutely nothing has happened. When I spoke to epu last week they told me my periods should return now and I would bleed.

Any experiences or info would be gratefully recieved, I'm not sure when I should start to worry.

OP's posts:
Please
or

sweetpea2000 · 20/02/2021 11:13

Hi, so sorry to hear about your loss.

From what I understand, your cycle effectively 'resets' from when your HCG levels get to under 10. The NHS say periods normally return 4-6 weeks after a miscarriage, but for some people it can be quite a bit longer.

I also think it usually takes longer for periods to return into a regular cycle after breastfeeding, and ongoing breastfeeding could affect your cycle.

It's normal to have cramps without bleeding following a MC, as your uterus is returning to it's pre-pregnancy size (it begins growing even when the baby is tiny). So that could be the cause of your cramps, rather than an impending period.

When EPU told you your periods would return from now, I would guess they meant 'any time from now' rather than right now. Two weeks after having an HCG level of 5 seems quite early.

My periods took time to return to normal and my GP basically told me 'anything is normal' for 6 months after a miscarriage. And I think the breastfeeding could even disrupt your cycle even more.

The main worry with a miscarriage is retained tissue being left in your uterus, but since you've had a clear scan and a very low HCG result I don't think you need to worry about that.

So I don't think you need to worry (easier said than done, I know!) but rather just try to be patient in waiting for your cycle to return.

Hope this helps.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.