Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Medical management of miscarriage

NikkiD88 · 26/01/2021 13:47

Hi all, I was given the awful news that I had a missed miscarriage on Friday... my second one, fourth loss overall! I opted for the medical management as I have 2 children at home and don't fancy being in hospital much right now.

So I took the tablets and they didn't work. I bled for about 3 hours, nothing major. They want me back tomorrow to make sure I'm still carrying the pregnancy and to discuss options.

My first MMC I took surgery option. I suppose my question is, is it worth trying the meds again? Anyone else ever been through this with something that doesn't work and what did you do? I'm so upset, I'm frustrated, I want to be able to deal with this and grieve our loss but can't even begin to work through it whilst the process is being dragged out. It's like I'm not important.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LostFox82 · 26/01/2021 14:16

Hi @NikkiD88 I’m so sorry for your loss.

I don’t have any advice on the medical management but just to say I’m in hospital today just in recovery from the op and I’ve been so impressed with how safe I feel re covid. It’s really not ideal to be here but at least as you say it’s over quickly so can now start concentrating on mourning rather than being worried about the process. I know I’m not out of the woods yet, but think would choose this option if it happened to me again.

See what they say tomo I guess, but wanted to reassure you on the surgery option to help you decide.

I hope you manage to sort it quickly x

Please
or

NikkiD88 · 26/01/2021 14:33

@LostFox82

Hi *@NikkiD88* I’m so sorry for your loss.

I don’t have any advice on the medical management but just to say I’m in hospital today just in recovery from the op and I’ve been so impressed with how safe I feel re covid. It’s really not ideal to be here but at least as you say it’s over quickly so can now start concentrating on mourning rather than being worried about the process. I know I’m not out of the woods yet, but think would choose this option if it happened to me again.

See what they say tomo I guess, but wanted to reassure you on the surgery option to help you decide.

I hope you manage to sort it quickly x

Thanks a lot for responding. That's reassuring, my gut is telling me to just go in for the surgery so I can move on rather than another week or so just to start the process. This has been ongoing now for weeks and I literally feel like I'm emotionally hanging on by a thread. And that's not good for my children, I need to be present for them.
OP's posts:
Please
or

ofwarren · 26/01/2021 14:48

So sorry you are going through this 😔
I had to have the tablets in the cervix twice and it worked the second time.

Please
or

Littlegoth · 26/01/2021 14:58

Sorry for your loss. I also had a failed medical management, but as I’d had a successful medical management in a previous miscarriage I gave it another go and it worked on the second attempt, and was complete within a few hours - like you say a relief as it’s awful having it hanging over. It was suggested that the first attempt failed as I’d taken ibuprofen (as advised by the clinic nurse) as it could interfere with the medication, and was told not to use ibuprofen until after the miscarriage had completed. I would have had surgery if that attempt had failed.

My tablets have always been taken orally.

Please
or

NikkiD88 · 26/01/2021 20:31

Thanks all for your replies. I had to insert my tablets, I saw at least 1 come out hours later so maybe that's why it didn't work. I thought they would dissolve relatively quickly but clearly not.

I'm so unsure what to do for the best. I'll see what they say in the morning, but I have your experiences to go off too. Thanks for your words

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.