Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

3 miscarriages, Tommy's Birmingham

showmethegin · 16/12/2020 20:36

Hi ladies,

Looking for some advice. Under the care of Tommy's Birmingham after having 3rd miscarriage in June. Had my bloods done in October, iron, thyroid and sticky blood all came back clear. I asked about progesterone because of the study lead by Tommy's Birmingham that stated a 15% increase in the chance of a live birth with women with recurrent miscarriages but was told they won't consider it until I have 4?! Must mention my appointment was meant to be with Coomerasammy (who lead the study) but got another dr that phoned me for the consultation.

Why on earth would I be expected to risk another baby when the study suggests this and many women I have spoken to have been prescribed it after 3?

What are other peoples experiences? Can you pay for extra tests through NHS? What are the costs of going to Quenby or Shehata?

Thanks in advance ladies. Just don't know how much more of this we can take Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

ivfbeenbusy · 17/12/2020 08:01

I got the same response regarding progesterone from the miscarriage clinic I attended (also in the West Midlands) - in the end I went to a private ivf clinic and was given it there and also when trying naturally inbetween IVF cycles they prescribed it for me - it's very cheap - about £15 a month

You can't pay for additional testing on the NHS but an IVF clinic does do them - I turned to IVF as didn't feel the NHS were helping me after 5 miscarriages.

I think Dr Shehata is like £3k for all the testing

Please
or

VenusStarr · 17/12/2020 17:42

I'm under Tommy's on Birmingham too - had 2 losses under their care. They told me the same about having 4 and being prescribed progesterone. I did end up getting progesterone from the implantation clinic in Coventry for my fourth pregnancy but had another loss.

I did have an appointment with Prof Quenby but she's only recruiting for her cerm trial, so stop ttc for 3 months while you have endometrial biopsies. The thing that put me off was if I didn't have the issue I'd be put back to care as usual which is progesterone, which didn't work for me. But I could have a problem but then get a placebo instead of the antibiotics and then miscarry again. She said the fact I've had 4 miscarriages and delayed fertility indicated there was an issue but she didn't know what it was but was keen for me to do the trial to see if it was my endometrial lining but it didn't feel like the right path for us.

I'm under Dr Shehata now and been diagnosed with aggressive nk cells and got a treatment plan. I have other autoimmune issues, so it makes a lot of sense to me.

Best wishes x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.