Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Recurrent miscarriages

Sunshinelove8 · 17/08/2020 16:53

Hi all, I’m not sure if there’s already a thread like this ( I couldn’t find it ) If not , in wondering if anyone would like to join me .
I’m 39
1 dd - 2017
Mmc - 2019 ( 9 weeks found out 12 week scan)
Cp - 2019
Mmc - 2020 ( 8 weeks but bad growth from 6 weeks)
Mmc - now going through another hb seen at 8 weeks stopped just after this , getting it tested following d&c

Exhausted mentally and physically but desperately want to give dd a sibling 🙁 not going to ttc naturally as can’t take bad eggs risk . Pgs or donor potentially. Please tell me your stories x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Munchies30 · 17/08/2020 22:38

Hello, I'm so sorry for what you're going through and what you have been through. Do you have much support around you?
I'm 31 and have experienced 6 miscarriages, going for my first MVA tomorrow and I'm so nervous. Most of mine have been missed miscarriages after seeing heartbeats. Fell pregnant before all my friends and now majority of them have 1 or 2 beautiful children and im still desperately trying.
In the process of having IVF with PGD to ensure we put a healthy embryo back as unfortunately its my eggs that are affected. Want to me a mum more than anything x

Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 18/08/2020 09:49

Oh munchie , we have such similar stories 😞
I hope your mva goes as well as it can and you’re not in too much pain . My d&c is on Thursday , need to Karyotype the remains to see if it’s a chromosome issue , which I’m pretty sure it is .
Have you had any of yours checked to see if there were any chromosome issues which caused it ? I think it’s quite common to see a heartbeat and it stop with chromosome issues. All of mine had heartbeats ( two very strong ones ) that stopped too. I think it’s really cruel As stats say once there’s a heartbeat the odds are so good etc. The last time I didn’t even look at the scan screen the whole pregnancy as didn’t want to see the heartbeat and then see it stop .
How do you know it’s your eggs that are bad ? Have you had all the tests done ? My amh is very low too and everything else checks out fine , so have assumed the same issue.
Did your doctor recommend pgs? We are going on the same ivf /pgs journey , shall we stay in touch and help each other through ?
Big hugs , it’s so so hard x

OP's posts:
Please
or

PJ12 · 18/08/2020 21:10

I’m really sorry for your losses. Recurrent miscarriage is so soul destroying and a very lonely place.
I had my DD and then 5 miscarriages. After miscarriage number 3 we decided to go privately and went to see Dr Shehata in Epsom. I had a lot of tests done there (mainly for all types of blood clotting disorders).

I was diagnosed with high NK cells and treated with progesterone, baby aspirin and steroids. I went on to have 2 more miscarriages on that treatment plan (one not really sure what happened, it was a natural miscarriages so never got tested, second one was a mmc, we had the foetus tested and it came back positive for trisomy 16). I then got pregnant again on the same treatment and finally gave birth to my DS in Dec. 2018.

I hope my story gives you a bit of hope. Wishing you the best of luck OP xx

Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 18/08/2020 22:38

Thank you so much for your positive story , it’s what keeps me going ! I can’t believe you survived that many mcs - how did you stay strong ? I feel like I haven’t the energy to keep going . For this pregnancy I took everything , clexane, baby aspirin , progesterone, had nk cells tested , intralipids . I think it must be a chromosome issue . I hope I can come back on these forums with a positive story like you have and help someone too x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Elouera · 18/08/2020 22:47

So sorry for your losses. Its hard. I've been TTC 10yrs, 3 MC's and no children. 1st pregnancy had trisomy 13 ad TFMR at 11 weeks. 2nd MC at 7 weeks. Last pregnancy was IVF, heartbeat seen at 7 weeks but MC at 10 weeks. Still awaiting being seen at the recurrent MC clinic. No cause for sub-fertility found, other than getting older with older eggs now. I'd love to have a living child to focus on, but have a great relasionship with DH which I appreciate xxx

Please
or

JanewaysBun · 18/08/2020 22:50

Can you get seem at a recurrent miscarriage clinic? I have factor V leiden and it's really common but really treatable x

Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 19/08/2020 09:10

Hi Elouera , I’m sorry you are suffering too 😞 like janewaysbun said - have you had any tests done ? Sometimes it can be clotting , immune , uterus, thyroid m issues and not eggs . I’ve had all the tests so pretty sure mine is low amh /egg quality .
Have you thought about ivf with pgs ? Apparently, at 35 something like 50% plus of eggs are abnormal, so as you approach 40 it can be as much as 80% ! The test helps identify abnormal eggs and not transfer them . Of course it has its pros/cons, including the possibility you do ivf and all come back abnormal and have to be discarded. However , having suffered so many miscarriages, I need to know I’ve derisked any future pregnancy as much as I can x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 19/08/2020 09:11

@Munchies30 how are you today after the mva ? Xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 19/08/2020 09:35

@Elouera sorry just reread your post and can see you said no cause was found other than eggs - assume you’ve done all the tests then?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Munchies30 · 20/08/2020 11:43

Sorry for the delay, just been resting since MVA on Tuesday. It was pretty awful being awake but it didn't help that I vomited all my pain relief medication before the procedure so just had to try a little gas and air to get me through. I seem to have more cramps compared to my d&c.
Thinking of you today with your d&c Flowers
Yes due to being a carrier of a balanced translocation which was discovered before we started trying as my brother is affected, I've had 2 losses tested so far which have resulted in an extra 21 chromosome both times and will have this most recent one tested too. I naturally miscarried the others and it all happened so quickly that I wasn't able to collect and test those.
We were advised to do IVF PGD following all other tests coming back normal at recurrant miscarriage clinic, its all a chromosome problem with my eggs which unfortunately appears to affect a lot of them considering I'm only 31 and started trying at 29. Husbands sperm is fine.
PGD IVF just takes forever, however it could be because I'm at a busy NHS clinic who havent been great in communicating since lock down x

Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 21/08/2020 11:56

Hi @Munchies30 , that sounds quite rough - are you ok now ? I was supposed to have d&c yesterday but it got cancelled due to too many emergency surgeries yesterday. I was waiting from 7:30 am til 4pm in a room by myself , nil by mouth . I was totally gutted and burst into tears when doctor told me . I have to go back at 7:30 am again Monday and again no guarantees .
I’m a way it’s good you know the issue hun , it means with pgd you can screen for normal ones and at 31 I’m sure you’ll have some great eggs there and get your baby . I’m very hopeful for you x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 21/08/2020 11:56

When will you start the ivf ? X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Munchies30 · 21/08/2020 23:03

Oh no, I'm so sorry you had to go through that yesterday. I hope things are different for you on Monday.
We've had 1 round of PGD IVF before and with 7 eggs, only 1 was healthy. We were happy that I did have a healthy egg but unfortunately it didn't implant when put back.
We phoned the clinic today and have a phone call appointment next month to discuss starting treatment again so probably during the winter months. Last time it was 5 months between egg retrieval and transfer so takes a while.
Have you had any IVF appointments or gathered information yet?x

Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 22/08/2020 10:39

Hi @Munchies30 , are you doing treatment on the nhs - Is that why the timescale is long? Are you going to wait for ivf rather than Try naturally ( I guess the recent pregnancy was natural) ?
I’m doing private , at a very expensive fertility clinic . I’m wondering is it even worth it with my eggs but feel I need to at least try to see if I get any normal ones . I have an appointment at beginning of sept and will find out timescales then but think it can be quite quick . It’s an exhausting journey isn’t it ? I’m very hopeful for you though x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Munchies30 · 22/08/2020 15:46

I'm glad you've got an appointment arranged and have a bit of a plan. Hopefully it will all happen quickly.
Yes qualify for NHS due to no children etc so have to go with the waiting times which feels like the worse part a lot of the time. We hadn't tried naturally for nearly 2 years due to all the miscarriages and being in the process of IVF but when covid came along and stopped our 2nd round a couple of days before egg collection, we decided a couple of months later to try again but its just so heartbreaking everytime that I think we need to wait for IVF now, we fall pregnant so easily but it just doesn't work out.
How is your partner coping with everything?x

Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 24/08/2020 14:38

Hi sorry for the delay , had a scary weekend of bleeding and think mc was starting properly this morning but managed to have the surgery . Needed to collect the ‘product’ properly this time for testing .
My husband is ok but he says the wrong things sometimes you know . I think the focus is all on me and he doesn’t really talk much . I feel guilty I can’t give him the child he wants . How’s yours ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Munchies30 · 30/08/2020 09:44

So sorry for the delay. Been thinking of you but just been having some quality time with husband since feeling better.
Glad you were able to have the procedure for testing. How are you feeling now?
Yes I can completely relate, feeling guilty but also feel like the focus is all on me too.
Have you been able to do anything nice this weekend?x

Please
or

Quail15 · 31/08/2020 20:14

Hi

I had Ivf with pgs to have my daughter. I have ovarian failure. After pgs testing only one of my embryos was clear ( I was heartbroken that only one was healthy). She is now a healthy one year old. It was very expensive but worth it. I had several rounds of Ivf prior to the pgs and I really wish I hadn't wasted my time. If I could go back in time I would go straight to pgs testing.

Since my daughter was born I have had 3 natural pregnancys that have all ended in MC at various stages. I'm waiting for another appointment with my previous Ivf clinic to discuss planning another Ivf round.

I'm really sorry for what you have been through. Recurrent MC's are heartbreaking X x

Please
or

FruitLoopyLoo · 01/09/2020 14:31

Hello, I'm hoping I'll have a positive story for you (so far I do anyway!).

I have a genetic problem, discovered when testing after my recurrent miscarriages, called a balanced translocation. I had 11 miscarriages in the space of 2.5yrs all before 12 weeks.

I am now finally nearly 18 weeks pregnant with a so far healthy boy. I had a CVS done at 12 weeks which confirms he is NOT affected by my genetic condition which caused the previous miscarriages.

I never thought I'd be here. I kept going because I thought I'd never forgive myself if I gave up but I never genuinely believed I'd make it here eventually.

I am still anxious, I am still incredibly nervous that something will go wrong but for now everything seems okay Flowers

Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 02/09/2020 10:40

Thanks so much ladies , it’s positive stories that help me get through . I’m worried that I don’t get any normal embryos :/ How did you cope with Multiple miscarriages, i was ok after the miscarriage but have started having nightmares and being unable to sleep :-( Making me feel worse as working full time
How are you feeling munchies ? X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 02/09/2020 15:24

@Quail15 how many embryos did you get retrieved when you had your dd? Also , if you don’t mind how old were you? My amh is low and low number if follicles and worried I won’t get any 😞
Was there a reason you decided to try naturally after your dd as opposed to pgs again ?
I’m so please you got a lovely little girl xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 02/09/2020 16:06

@FruitLoopyLoo thanks also for your post - and congrats on your pregnancy! I’ve decided to test for any genetic issue for me and my dh . We had one healthy baby so not sure if that makes it less likely . We are doing it privately and so expensive gulp ! X

OP's posts:
Please
or

PickAPick · 02/09/2020 16:12

[quote Sunshinelove8]@FruitLoopyLoo thanks also for your post - and congrats on your pregnancy! I’ve decided to test for any genetic issue for me and my dh . We had one healthy baby so not sure if that makes it less likely . We are doing it privately and so expensive gulp ! X[/quote]
I think it's good to get the test done so at least it's ruled out. Having a healthy child doesn't necessarily mean there is no genetic issue at play.

With mine, I can have (and was always told I likely would have eventually) healthy, unaffected children at some point, it's just down to pure chance each time I get pregnant whether or not the embryo will be affected.

I inherited this condition from my mother who also had me first before she had any losses x

Please
or

Sunshinelove8 · 02/09/2020 16:34

Hi @PickAPick the thing is my mum had 7 kids with no mcs! Although my sisters have had issues with mcs but that might be due to us all having kids late 30’s . If there’s genetic issues , would you normally see some kind of family history ? Thanks x

OP's posts:
Please
or

PickAPick · 02/09/2020 16:39

Well not all genetic conditions are inherited, I can only comment on my own but there a few different things that can go on genetically.

Could you speak to the hospital/your GP and see what they suggest? I think it's definitely worth getting a test done if you've had investigations and there's been no other issues found. I know they don't typically do a karyotype as standard when investigating recurrent miscarriage but you can always ask, they may do one and you can avoid going private then.

It may be nothing and not genetic at all of course but I know from experience I wish I'd requested the test sooner!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.