Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Early loss at Easter now cycles seem to be causing problems

bitheby · 27/06/2020 17:49

Hi

First pregnancy ended over Easter. Very early loss (less than 6 weeks). Wasn't seen by anyone in person due to Covid.

Have had a variety of symptoms around my cycle since then. Cramping, mood swings, fatigue. None of this is normal for me and I don't think is connected with the emotional loss as I am dealing with that and have quite good self awareness about stuff like that.

Anyone else know anything about hormones and can reassure me that this is normal and will settle down?

OP's posts:
Please
or

bitheby · 27/06/2020 17:50

The only reason I mention it is because when I say mood swings, I mean really low mood around about the time my period is due.

OP's posts:
Please
or

bitheby · 28/06/2020 04:10

Period started yesterday afternoon. Cramping has woken me up at 3.30. This is an unusual level of pain for me.

Is this something I need to get checked out? Intuitively I feel that it is but I've mentioned it to several GPs and only one has agreed with me that this is unusual for me but no-one wants to see me face to face because of Covid.

OP's posts:
Please
or

bitheby · 24/07/2020 15:08

Next cycle and in pain again with cramps. This isn't normal. Anyone with any medical knowledge? I've mentioned it to GP but dismissed. I can't call now until tomorrow.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RunnerGirl123 · 26/07/2020 09:40

I'm sorry you're feeling in pain and confused by your symptoms and that you're being dismissed by health professionals.

I'm not a medical professional but I have had miscarriages, and I found unfortunately after a pregnancy, no matter how short, it can affect your cycles for a short time. Just as they say you can be more fertile for 3-6months after a miscarriage, this must mean it has some effect on your cycle / hormones.

For me, I did notice more cramping around my period due date, and the bleeding heaviness pattern changed too. I was emotional but this was more to do with my grief and infertility journey, but I suppose could have been exacerbated by my cycle.

This could be linked to a change in hormones which could affect emotional or mental symptoms too. If these symptoms are related to your cycle only, then it may be in a few months, things settle and your usual cycle and symptoms return.

For now, I'd try focus on ensuring you are eating a well balanced diet, drinking plenty of water, getting exercise, taking folic acid if you want to continue trying to conceive and just looking after yourself as best you can. If after another 3 months you don't see an improvement ask your gp to look into it further and let them know what you've been doing in the meantime and ask for tests - either blood tests related to fertility / hormones throughout your cycle or for more general things eg anemia, thyroid etc.

I hope this helps. Happy to talk if you need it x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.