Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Possible formal sanction at work

Will867 · 03/06/2020 23:23

I’m getting to the point I don’t know what more I can cope with. This was my first pregnancy, it was really wanted and planned. I first went off of work not long after I found out I was pregnant (I’m a frontline worker) because I started to have anxiety and panic attacks over going into work pregnant during the pandemic as social distancing wasn’t happening At work and not much was known and was petrified for my pregnancy as well as the fact of just come off of my anti depressant when I found out I was pregnant so was struggling. I then also went down with very bad nausea and sickness very soon after I was signed off to the point I couldn’t keep anything down and no anti sickness tablets were helping, this went on for around 6 weeks so was signed off work sick. Work knew I was pregnant. I got to around 10 weeks and that’s when the spotting started and my anxiety increased I was still being sick so was still signed off, and then at around 13 weeks I miscarried so was signed off for another 2 weeks while I went through it. I got a phone call today from work saying that hr keep saying they want to do a meeting with me and I was told that it could possibly (though not definitely end up with a formal sanction). I’m two weeks post miscarriage absolutely devistated and can barely talk about it without crying. I’m crying right now just writing this. I also have to relive it all with occupational health and have had to contact my union to tell them everything to see if they can help. It’s all too much right now I’m trying desperately to come to terms with my loss and now I have to worry about my job on top of it and have to go through it all again in meetings for work with my managers phoning me every week. I can’t cope and have no idea what I’m doing.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bingaling30 · 03/06/2020 23:32

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss and what you have been through. I can't imagine the heartache and stress!

Legally any pregnancy related sickness can't be counted on your record, so I'm not sure why they would sanction you? I wouldn't worry at all, it's they don't have a leg to stand on in my opinion.

Be kind to yourself Thanks

Please
or

JediJim · 03/06/2020 23:44

My understanding is they can’t touch you for sickness/ absence if you are/ were pregnant. You are protected under the 2010 Equality Act, you are a protected characteristic, namely being pregnant at that time.
Your works HR / management team really should get clued up on the law.
We’re also in a pandemic and the government said people shouldn’t be penalised for being sick.

Please
or

Will867 · 03/06/2020 23:47

Thank you @Bingaling30. I’m not sure I don’t know if it’s because my gp just kept putting anxiety and depression down on the sick note except for 1 that stated hypermesis gravadium and the one that stated miscarriage, So I’ve now had to email my dr to ask for a letter to prove it was all pregnancy related. I just feel like I’m already drowning and more pressure is being put on me to be back at work and have these meetings when I struggle to want to get out of bed

OP's posts:
Please
or

alphabetti · 04/06/2020 13:03

They are not allowed to hold pregnancy related sickness against you. Sadly many employers don’t realise this though. I had 3 weeks off in September due to a MC. Was off self certifying for a week from when had a small bleed and then when it progressed to full MC I had x2 weeks with x2 sicknotes lasting a week each. When I returned I had back to work meeting and then was told as it was 3 weeks sickness they had to hold a meeting to see if I would be put on a stage but it was likely they would decide to not take action. I just said that’s fine il happily attend meeting but maybe they should check with HR as were not allowed to hold it against me. My team leader said she would check and when she did she apologised and said sorry they didn’t realise.

Don’t let anyone treat you unfairly at such a hard time. Speak to HR if you need to or ACAS or CAB

Please
or

Will867 · 04/06/2020 14:09

Hi @alphabetti thanks for your advice I’ve spoken to unison and explained the situation hopefully I will have support from them. I’ve also had to get a letter from my gp costing £15 for them to confirm it’s pregnancy related because the drs didn’t put pregnancy related on the sick note even though that’s what they signed me off for and it’s what I explained to work was the issue. It’s just all gotten too much atm I’ve taken it really hard and then something else just seems to bring it to the forefront. Plus the fact I’m still dealing with bleeding and certain pregnancy symptoms. I just don’t have the energy or state of mind to fight for my job right now.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.