Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Katherine Ryan on miscarriage

babychange12 · 15/05/2020 18:04

Just been reading on bbc about her experience on miscarriage and felt this is so true:

The reason we don't talk about miscarriage more is not for the sufferer of the miscarriage, not for the mom and family, it's for everyone else. It's a way of being polite - nobody wants you to say you found out you lost a baby.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52674418

I had a miscarriage on Friday as started bleeding, had an almighty bleed on Saturday night and then went back to work on Monday. I didn't even tell anyone at work, devastated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nanalisa60 · 15/05/2020 18:13

I think she has a blog and has talked about it on there, might be a good idea to listen to it.

It may be a British stiff upper lip kind of thing we just but on our game face and get on with it.

I lost a baby at 16 weeks over thirty years ago. I really never talk about it I don’t even think my second husband knows!!

I’m so sorry that you lost your baby I hope your husband is being kind to you, because he is someone who you should be able to talk about how upset you are.

Please
or

Lemmings123 · 16/05/2020 00:46

@babychange12 I'm really sorry for your loss, I hope you are getting the support you need.

Good on Katherine for speaking out, I love her even more now, was already a fan.

Hopefully this adds to moving things forward in the way we as women talk about things and not bury them for so long.

Please
or

faithfulbird · 16/05/2020 02:22

I am so glad people are talking about it more and more because it's common. I had a midwife at hospital say to me I've never had a miscarriage (whilst going through my own ) which made me feel like crap. But my mums been open and told me she's had a few too. I really think it's should be taught in school. We should be told it's okay it's one of those things that happens and it's not our fault. Instead of experiencing it and thinking what did I do? Did I eat something? Did I not care enough? Even other people's comments affect me and make me think what they're thinking loke 'was my body not strong enough'. It's horrible to experience but there's a comfort knowing it happens to many.

Please
or

Timeforanamechangeagain1 · 16/05/2020 10:34

I thought the article was spot on. I've just had my third and a lot of friends knew about the previous two (they've all been in the last six months) and no friends have been in touch to see if I am ok and now I'm like do I get in touch and tell them about the third ? But I can't really be bothered they don't care/ are too busy/ don't know what to say/ global pandemic etc after two, I can't be bothered about the awkwardness if explaining a third. And the but about being embarrassed I can relate to as well. I feel like a complete fool for thinking it would be any different this time

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.