Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Bleeding after surgical management

MillieMoo23 · 21/03/2020 16:05

Hi, I’m new to this forum and after some advice. I went for my 12 week scan and found out there was no heartbeat and it had stopped growing around 8 weeks. Completely devastated, still am. I went into hospital on Monday for surgical management of miscarriage, kept in overnight as lost a lot of blood and been off work all week. I had some bleeding on the Tuesday but nothing until today. Where I’ve just had quite a bit when I went to the toilet. I’m assuming this isn’t a period and normal bleeding as was told I could expect some for the next 2 weeks. Just surprised that I hadn’t had any for a few days and now it’s come back. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

sequinednostrils · 21/03/2020 16:09

Hi @milliemoo23

I'm recovering after a medical management too. Very up and down emotionally.
I think it's normal to have on and off bleeding, up to two weeks I was told. When I got home I didn't have any, then the next day I had a little cramping and a bit. Your uterus will be contracting back to normal size too. So sorry you're going through this too.

Please
or

UnexpectedCoatInThePost · 21/03/2020 16:10

I’m really sorry about your baby.
My experience after the same procedure following MMC was that I had Bleeding that was more off/ on than a normal period, and at times heavier but never hugely so. Altogether it was heavier the day / day after, and then seemed to tail off by about day 4, then a couple of days heavier before stopping. So not hugely different to yours. I’d normally say give them a ring, but it obv might be hard to get hold of someone just now.

Best wishes.

Please
or

MillieMoo23 · 21/03/2020 16:14

Thank you both. Sorry to hear you’ve both been/going through it. It really is a difficult time. Everything keeps reminding me of what I’ve lost. Hoping time is a healer. Thank you for the advice, and so quickly, it’s reassuring to hear. Cramping has also started today, so think the body is definitely trying to return to normal.

OP's posts:
Please
or

UnexpectedCoatInThePost · 21/03/2020 16:52

Mine was years ago. As you might expect, the first few days / weeks were the worst. Now I’m still sad about it, and think of the baby didn’t quite make it often, but it’s not ever-present.
Be really, really kind to yourself and allow yourself time to grieve. Much love to both of you.

Please
or

Fizzl · 21/03/2020 21:47

Hi @MillieMoo23 I had surgery in December and remember writing a post very similar to yours! my bleeding unexpectedly returned heavier than it had been around 10 days after the operation. I only had really light bleeding for a few days then I though it had pretty much stopped and after a few days it suddenly reappeared again quite heavy. All turned out fine, it gradually tapered off again but in total I bled for around 4 weeks and never got a negative pregnancy test before AF arrived, just to add to my worry! Hope all works out for you Daffodil

Please
or

MillieMoo23 · 26/03/2020 19:41

Thank you to those that have responded. I’m still bleeding and it’s not getting any lighter as each day goes on. I suppose I’m needing to change a pad every 3/4 hours or so
As I don’t usually wear pads, I’m not sure how heavy this is
At what point would you call the EPU for advice? I don’t want to burden them with everything else going on, but I would have thought it should be getting lighter by now? Bleeding started on Saturday so been 5 days

OP's posts:
Please
or

kavlarr · 27/03/2020 21:33

How is the bleeding going today? Hope it's eases off a bit to allay your concerns - it's an even scarier time than normal atm with all the virus news isn't it :/

I had a SMM on Monday and was struck by how little I was bleeding (barely anything reaching the pad over the first three days). But then today I've been a little bit crampy and getting fingernail sized clots. I went for a bike ride for an hour as my 'daily exercise', and I wonder if that could have exacerbated things? They didn't tell me to avoid exercising, did anyone else have advice like that? I'm hoping it dies down again but not sure if I should give them a call tomorrow morning. Obviously a very busy time for NHS workers right now! I was very pleased with how they treated me at Cardiff University Hospital 💕

Please
or

MillieMoo23 · 27/03/2020 22:04

Hi Kavlarr,

Sorry to hear you’re in the same position. I think, fingers crossed, the bleeding seems to have slowed down. But I had one day where I had none, and then back to heavy the following day. I want to go for a run, but not to sure I want to if it’s still heavy
Hopefully won’t last too much longer. If it’s still heavy on Monday, will call nhs

OP's posts:
Please
or

MillieMoo23 · 16/04/2020 13:13

Afternoon everyone. So I thought things were progressing as they should as my period arrived on Sunday, or so I thought. Bleeding continued until yesterday morning, and then nothing until lunchtime today where it’s started again. I took a pregnancy test and there’s a faint line and shows as being positive. How can this be if my period arrived, or was it not my period?
I’ve phoned the EPU and have to go into hospital on Monday for a scan
Any ideas as to why it’s still showing as positive, over 4 weeks after the procedure? Should I be worried?

OP's posts:
Please
or

kavlarr · 16/04/2020 14:50

hello! I think there are plenty of examples I've seen on threads here and elsewhere that sometimes it takes longer than expected to get a negative pregnancy test, and it isn't necessarily a problem. In my own case, however, I've been told I have a suspected molar pregnancy, which is something you might want to check out as it can in very rare cases lead to complications and often needs treatment to return hormone levels safely to 0 before ttc again.
(Although, weirdly, my pregnancy test 3 weeks after erpc said negative! They still have to check and do blood tests on me though to make sure it goes down to 0 and stays there)

Please
or

MillieMoo23 · 16/04/2020 15:56

Thank you for taking the time to respond. How do you find out if it is a molar pregnancy?

I just thought that having what I thought was a period, the test should have been negative

Just wish my body would return to normal so I can move on properly.

OP's posts:
Please
or

kavlarr · 16/04/2020 21:36

to find out they normally to a biopsy on the products of miscarriage. I don't really know much else because that's how they did it with me. Just might be worth mentioning to them, if only to rule out the possibility xx

Please
or

MillieMoo23 · 16/04/2020 22:13

They mentioned at the procedure tests would be done, but not sure how long they take? It’s been 4 weeks. Is this too soon?
I’ll ask on Monday whether this could be a possibility. But at the 12 week scan it didn’t just look like a sac of cells. Guess I’ll find out more on Monday but it’s more waiting around which is so frustrating not knowing xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

tryingtimes20 · 17/04/2020 07:11

If it's been four weeks since your procedure that's when my midwife told me I could ring to see if Pathology had found anything. If you haven't heard anything from their side, I'd take that as a positive that there was nothing amiss found. Check on Monday with them if you're happy to wait.

Please
or

MillieMoo23 · 18/04/2020 15:38

I’ll definitely be checking with them on Monday whether they’ve had the results yet. Just thinking it may take more time in these current circumstances

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.