My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Problems with miscarriage, should I go private?

6 replies

Katie3677 · 04/09/2007 17:46

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to make sense. I had a missed miscarriagiage at 11 weeks and opted for the non surgical procedure to get rid of foetal 'products' as the doctors so nicely put it. This happened over six weeks ago. I had a horrendous time in the hospital - as described in one of my other posts - and swore that I would never go through something like that again. Six weeks on and I am still bleeding. I have now been for four internal scans and every time am told that there are sill some 'products' retained. This mornings scan still not clear and also showed that I have a fibroid and ruptured ovarian cysts (none of which showed up on the last scan 10 days ago). The doctor has advised me to wait another ten days and have another scan and then if things still aren't sorted to book in for a D&C. I had opted for a D&C in the first place but the Doctor and my DH managed to talk me out of it, so now am really pissed off that despite going through all the pain and horror of a different procedure, I will probably have to have the D&C anyway. My dilemma is this; I feel so let down by the hospital over the way my procedure was handled - no information about what to expect, only checked twice throughout the whole procedure etc and not being warned that what is happening now could happen - that I am thinking about going private. I have no idea how to go about this or what it might cost. But am desperate to have this whole thing over with so that I can at last start to get on with my life again, let alone try for another baby. Does anyone have any advice to give?

OP posts:
Report
Mumpbump · 04/09/2007 17:52

Sorry for your loss. I guess m/c are different all the time. I don't know how usual it is for there to be "retained products" this long after a m/c, but I am sure someone will be along with more experience. All I can say is that if you feel you have waited long enough, I'd have the D&C to get it over with. Although there are inherent risks with any surgery, it doesn't sound like your body is sorting itself out naturally. It would give you finality and enable you to start thinking about trying again...

Whether to go private or not is a personal decision for you. Personally, I probably wouldn't. I can understand that you're p*ssed off with the hospital, but your situation might be very unusual. I think a D&C is a standard procedure and not worth paying through the nose for. But if you want a better customer service, maybe it is worth it for you...

Report
mlcdv · 04/09/2007 17:59

You could always check if your hospital provide private services. I went through my 1st pregnancy in the private wing of a NHS hospital, with all the benefits of having all emergency care at hand if needed. I could also choose my midwife and the consultant I felt most confortable with.

Report
Lcy · 04/09/2007 18:10

Hi - so sorry for your awful experience. I was in your position recently (10.5 week m/c) and was advised to have an ERPC instead of medical management by my NHS doctor because at that stage of pregnancy there is a high risk they will also have to do an ERPC to get everything out.

I found some of the care appaling at the hospital and if there was a private hospital nearby i would of booked in to it. If i was in your situation i would go private - even if it was just for a second opinion. I can't believe they are expecting you to wait another 10 days - it must be so stressful for you - nevermind wanting to get your body back to normal so you can try and concieve again. However if you do make the decision to go private i would send a letter of complaint to the Manager of your NHS trust explaining what happened and why you had to make that decision - and i would probably send him the reciept (not that they would pay it). This is all just my opinion though and you have to do what is right for you.

Just to reassure you my ERPC was not a distressing experience. They just put me under general and then when i woke up a had a small amount of bleeding for 10 days and no pain. I then got the hospital to re-scan me and everything had gone.

Miscarriage is such a terrible emotional experience. I cant imagine how terrible this is for you with the added physical stress.

I hope that whatever decision you make this is all sorted soon!

Lcy x

Report
honey8 · 04/09/2007 19:50

hello and sorry to hear what has happened to you. I am going through a similar type of thing after having a second ERPC to clear everything out from my second missed miscarriage. I am still bleeding six weeks later and am now booked in for another scan to see if there is anything left again. I have been advised not to accept another ERPC if something shows up on the scan but to insist I see a consultant. I know how distressing it can be so I'm thinking of you and hope all is sorted soon.

Report
Katie3677 · 04/09/2007 20:28

Thanks for all your advice and shared experiences. I'm sorry for all your losses, I think people underestimate the effect a miscarriage can have, both physically and emotionally.
I think what I am going to do is go and see a private consultant locally for a scan and see what they would reccomend. If it is simply a case of having an ERPC then I will go ahead and do it on the NHS, but if there is more to it, ie. the fibroid needs removing or a problem with the burst cyst, then I will go down the private route. I am simply scared of ruining my chances of conceiving again...
So, does anyone know of a good private Gynae in the Herefordshire/ Worcestershire area, or know how to go about finding one?
Thanks

OP posts:
Report
Glimmer · 12/09/2007 09:33

Hi Katie,
I am very sorry to hear about your loss and the ordeal afterwards. I know it's been a few days since you first posted and you might have made a decision by now. I just wanted to add, that the problem of 'retained prodcuts' is also there if you get an ERPC. I had an incomplete ERPC and it took 8 weeks before the believed me things weren't right and I had to have another ERPC. Things were still not right, buts that's another story. In any case, insist that you get another scan, even if you opt for an ERPC -- it's no guarantee.... Hope everythign is behind you by the time you read this message.

Report
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.