Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Silent miscarriage - how long to wait?

Smarties87 · 21/01/2020 23:26

I went for my 12 week booking scan last Wednesday, nervous but quite excited, as was nearing the end of the 'danger zone' and I felt good. But was given the sad news that there was no heartbeat and I was measuring 10 weeks when I should have been 12. Shocked as had no pain or bleeding and felt very much pregnant, and still do now! Boobs are still as big (went up 2 sizes) sore and I'm still getting nauseous. I've opted for waiting it out rather than medical management or surgery. But it's been a week (plus the 2 weeks since heart stopped) and I'm not sure if I can wait much longer 😢 I came to terms with it over the weekend but this waiting is excruciating and emotionally draining...I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this, what were your experiences and what did you choose to do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

HAN12 · 22/01/2020 00:41

Im so sorry for your loss, I had a missed miscarriage back in 2015 same as you went for my booking scan got told no heart beat was taken to a side room in a Early pregnancy unit. I was given the option of natural miscarriage. I didnt go for this because my mum advised me against it ( you will bleed longer, its more painful) and assited once where they would insert a tablet and i would been monitored for a day in hospital or have a D &E I went to the last one it was painful let me know if you more detail on the procedure bleed heavy for 5 days was given a course of antibiotics and was told to take painkillers no one offered me any help with regards to how cope with the loss of baby. I felt really lonely i had my sister to help me through if you need a ear or someone to talk to message me. Wish you well

Please
or

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted · 22/01/2020 08:14

I also had a missed miscarriage found at the 12 week scan - my baby stopped growing about 8 weeks though - I had started spotting at about 11 weeks and the scan was brought forward a few days. I fully miscarried naturally 1 week from starting spotting. So it could take 4-5 weeks for your body to realise it needs to do something - under those circumstances I wouldn't be able to wait that long as even just waiting 1 week I felt like I couldn't leave the house in case the miscarriage started and by that point I just wanted to start trying to move on and come to terms with what happened x

Please
or

Smarties87 · 22/01/2020 09:12

Thank you both for your replies. I feel like I can't leave the house either just in case. I've booked a week off work as well. I was thinking of ringing assessment unit to talk about booking a d&c, not what I originally wanted, but I am struggling emotionally at the moment. Especially the longer I'm waiting and still showing no signs. Feel like I can't move on yet...

OP's posts:
Please
or

debbs77 · 22/01/2020 09:30

So sorry to read this.

I had the same.....scan at 14 weeks, baby had died at 12 weeks. In fact, at 12 weeks I had had a small bleed, but went to the maternity unit and they found a heartbeat. Baby must've died shortly after.

The scan was on the Thursday, and I opted for the D and C option, which was the following tuesday.

On sunday night I laboured for 12 hours, with active pushing for half an hour. But nothing came out.

The surgery was the best option for me. It was my first ever operation so I was nervous about the anaesthetic but it was fine. Woke up and it was all over.

Now 5 weeks pregnant. Not nervous thankfully, but I know I will be at that first scan xxx

Please
or

OlaEliza · 22/01/2020 10:01

Mine took about 5 weeks. I had an early scan at 7 weeks. No heartbeat, showing as 5 weeks. Had to go back the following week to confirm. Then had to go to the hospital for a scan to confirm where they found the fetal pole had grown. So we had to wait another week for another scan to see what was happening. That last scan showed no further growth and that the sac was breaking down. There was a bit of pink when I wiped (internal scan). They offered the medical management which I was going to have but it happened naturally before that. At 10w 1d. It took 3 days and then a few days bleeding after, so about 5-6 days bleeding in total. It was a lot though, I had maternity pads.

Please
or

OlaEliza · 22/01/2020 10:01

I'm sorry for your loss Flowers

Please
or

Riggles78 · 22/01/2020 12:32

Sorry for your loss @Smarties87 Flowers. I had the same at my 12 week scan and opted for an MVA, it's similar to a D&C but its under local anaesthetic rather than general. I personally went for the surgical option because I didn't want to wait around for an unknown period of time, my scan was showing 7 weeks rather than 12 weeks so I had all ready hung on to the baby for weeks after it actually died. I've made a post further down the board about my MVA experience if you want any details about the experience of the procedure.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.