Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hcg levels dropping then rising, am I having a miscarriage

123inesk · 08/10/2019 02:04

Hi everyone!
This is kind of long but I am looking for some answers and I was wondering if any of you went through something similar and I would like to know what was the outcome for you.

I found out I was pregnant on September 18th. Two days later, I started spotting and cramping so I rushed to the ER. They did a beta hcg blood test that showed my levels were at 346. From my last menstrual period I was supposed to be 5 weeks pregnant.

My doctor ordered blood tests every two days to determine if I was having a miscarriage. I also had the winRho vaccine as I am rhesus negative. My second beta hcg came up at 415, so really a slight rise. My levels went up to 503 and my doctor did a transvaginal ultrasound that showed an empty uterus.
Ectopic pregnancy couldn’t not be ruled out but my doctor says it is unlikely since I did not experience pain or heavy bleeding.
By then, the bleeding had pretty much stopped and I did not have any more cramping since my trip to the ER.
My doctor concluded I had miscarried but still wanted to monitor my hcg levels to make sure everything was going back to normal so we could start trying again. My levels dropped to 304 at that point.

Two days later she called me telling me that my levels were going back up. 536 and two days later they were at 800. I went today for another blood test and I’m having another ultrasound tomorrow.

I know I will eventually have answers but I was wondering if any of you guys experienced something similar?
Could this pregnancy still be viable?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this... This is really hard and it feels very lonely at times.

OP's posts:
Please
or

JoJoSM2 · 08/10/2019 14:31

That looks very dodgy and I wouldn't have your hopes up.

However, there's a slight possibility that you had a twin pregnancy and one didn't work out but the other is developing. So one of the hcgs could have been going up at a healthy rate but the other one dwindling producing the overall hcg results that you got. The ultrasound should be able to see something at this stage. All you can do is wait.

Please
or

123inesk · 08/10/2019 17:52

@JoJoSM2 my hcg levels came back at 1600 from yesterday’s blood test.
Uterus Still seems empty... it is looking like an ectopic pregnancy as they saw something in the tubes. I’m waiting for confirmation as I am typing.
Thank you for your response

OP's posts:
Please
or

lewk · 08/10/2019 17:58

So sorry you're going through this, I really hope you get some answers and help soon Thanks

Please
or

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted · 08/10/2019 19:08

I've had 2 ruptured ectopics and It always amazes me the conflicting (and dangerous!) advice you get from doctors - neither of my ectopics had symptoms of pain or bleeding and I only had pain when they actually ruptured and then I had massive internal bleeding

They may offer You methotrexate as a way of saving the tube - it's a nasty drug but effective when your hcg is fairly low like yours. It's used to treat cancer amongst other things so be aware you mustn't try to conceive again for 3 months x

Please
or

123inesk · 09/10/2019 06:08

@itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted
My doctor dismissed an ectopic pregnancy because I wasn’t in any pain... it was indeed an ectopic pregnancy and I was given methotrexate. I hope I will be able to get pregnant again in a few months, after the drug has left my system. I am scared of having another ectopic pregnancy as I heard the risks are higher after having one. Should I pursue further treatment or exams to assess my chances? The doctors didn’t seem worried, they only gave me the injection and told me to try again in 3 months. I am so confused 😞
It baffles me that it took them 3 weeks to find out what was wrong...

OP's posts:
Please
or

Macake · 09/10/2019 06:15

So sorry, I had an ectopic and the primary diagnosis was with fluctuating HCG. I would seriously ask for a hsg, turned out I had blocked tubes (I was given one to make sure my tubes were ok), they managed to unblock with the dye alone. Conceived 3 months later with a normal healthy pregnancy. Good luck!

Please
or

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted · 09/10/2019 07:35

@123inesk
I'm sorry it ended up being ectopic
I was given methotrexate but it failed and i ruptured anyway (but my hcg was over 5000) - I did in the end force them to give me a HSG test on my remaining tube but it came back all clear and the surgeon said it looked healthy during surgery.......after 12 months not a whiff of getting pregnant again turned to IVF and ended up with another ectopic and had to have final tube removed.
My doctor said that there is no test to confirm a tube actually works and is capable of pushing an egg through it to the uterus (only a successful pregnancy can tell you that) - obviously in my case whilst the tubes were clear and looked healthy they just didn't work so in the end was better to have them both removed as the chance of another one is so much higher x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.