Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hubs "stop complaining about pregnancy" just before miscarrying.

SuchPatience · 02/08/2019 08:07

Hi all,

This is my first time posting something and I'm not sure how to go forward. Last night, I was suffering from severe cramps at 4 months pregnant and I told my husband about it as we usually share everything. His words were stop complaining about the cramps you're pregnant - almost felt as if he was saying suck it up which for the first part of the pregnancy I have been but not this severe. Not long after, I started to miscarry. I've spoken to a doctor about this and I'm seeking help for the emotional side of things.

My question is that is would it be wrong to tell him I miscarried but keep how I'm feeling to myself? How have you gone about post miscarriage if you don't mind my asking?

Thank you and I hope you're well :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

AwkwardPaws27 · 02/08/2019 08:20

So sorry for your loss OP. A miscarriage at 4 months is so awful (I mean, it's awfully at any time but the physical delivery at 4 months must be so distressing - I miscarried at 8 weeks so can only imagine what you must have gone through).

I would definitely talk about your emotions and experience - and if you can't talk to your husband, to a counselor. It sounds like you have bigger problems to work through in your marriage if he is that unsupportive, but this is probably a consideration to put on hold for a few weeks while you physically recover.

I have asked MNHQ to move your post to the "miscarriage" board, as you have posted on a board for bloggers, and you'll get a lot more support from like-minded people on the miscarriage board.

Please
or

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted · 02/08/2019 13:57

So does your DH know about the miscarriage?
I would say he probably didn't mean what he said and that it came out wrong and is most likely guilt ridden over what he said given what has now happened?

Please
or

newmomof1 · 02/08/2019 14:52

I'm so sorry OP.

What he said sounds really insensitive now, but he honestly had no way of knowing.
Was this your first pregnancy?
He probably thought it was completely normal.

Please talk to him. You can't bottle things up right now - it's really important that you both understand how each other is feeling.
Tell him everything. He will feel guilty and he will hate himself for what he said, but he'll also be able to support you better.
If you don't tell him, you'll be pissed off at him for not knowing and then you'll resent him.
You sound like a strong couple - you will both be grieving but you can get through this together.

And if you want to rant and rave and get angry we are here for you. Thanks

Please
or

Lougle · 02/08/2019 15:06

I'm so sorry that you've had a miscarriage. I don't think you have bigger problems in your marriage (unless there's more than you've told us) because of this comment. Pregnancy can be quite uncomfortable and your DH had no way of telling that this was the prelude to a miscarriage.

Please
or

AwkwardPaws27 · 02/08/2019 15:26

If you are 4 months pregnant and having severe cramps, your DHs response should be something along the lines of "are you ok/is there anything I can do to help/do you think we should get medical advice", not "stop complaining".
I'm surprised people think this response is normal.

Please
or

Readytogogogo · 02/08/2019 15:29

Setting aside the miscarriage (I'm so sorry for your loss Flowers), why was he so unkind? Pregnancy is very uncomfortable at times and the least that can be expected from our partners is a bit of compassion and support.

Please
or

FossiPajuZeka · 02/08/2019 23:23

So sorry for your loss.

Your DH was a massive arsehole with that comment but that doesn't on its own define him as a git. It is possible he feels massive remorse for his insensitivity and callousness and thought it was lighthearted never for a moment suspecting that something was wrong.

You need to talk to him.

Please
or

Teddybear45 · 02/08/2019 23:28

I think this is the time to let it all hang loose so to speak. Your DH needs to hear how you feel.

Please
or

MrsMGE · 03/08/2019 08:00

OP, I'm so sorry about your loss, it's awful. Also really sorry you feel like you need to ask for our opinion here before talking to your husband openly about your post-miscarriage feelings. This to me is very sad and shouldn't be this way. It's a very hard time for you and you're allowed to speak about this to anyone you want, and most definitely to the other person in it, your partner. You're allowed to deal with it however you wish, and do whatever helps you, and don't let anyone make you think otherwise. Your health, including mental health, is the most important now, it will carry you through this difficult time.

Re the comment your DH made it's hard to say anything more, in fairness, I had stretching cramps throughout my pregnancy when everything was fine, perhaps he didn't necessarily mean it in a bad way. But clearly, if you were feeling unwell, this should have never been played down by him or anyone else Flowers

Sorry again, OP Flowers Please know you're in a lovely, safe and supportive community in this corner of Mumsnet xxx

Please
or

SuchPatience · 04/08/2019 17:42

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your kind words. His words haven't stopped so I have realised that it's time to put myself first as some of you have suggested. No miscarriage is easy so it's probably the best for me and my mental health.

My wishes go to everyone out there who are going through this or worse; it might be a little grey before it gets brighter :)

Best wishes and thank you for listening,

SuchPatience

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.