Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

MMC and bleeding started

Vebrithien · 31/03/2019 18:22

Had what was supposed to be my 12 week scan today, only to be told that there was no heartbeat and that our baby had died about 3 weeks ago. Have to go back tomorrow to discuss the options.
Have had very slight (brown) bleeding for the last three mornings in a row, but this evening, have started bleeding red blood. Not very heavy yet.
Does this mean that I am actually miscarrying now? If so, how long after starting bleeding can I expect to pass the sac, etc?
Stupidly, since I've known I was pregnant, I've been worried about this exact situation, MMC only being found out at the scan.
Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Holly19 · 31/03/2019 18:30

Sorry to hear your sad news. I think our bodies must have some kind of signal because I also started miacarrying the day of the scan / day we found out.

For me I actually passed the sac very early on in the process and even before the bleeding got heavy. You should still go to your appointment tomorrow as they will likely scan you to see what tissue is left and discuss options with you.

I went for the D&C option and I am glad I did. I had suffered two miscarriages at home previously and the D&C was so much easier in terms of pain ans bleeding.

Best of luck and keep trying!!

X

Please
or

Vebrithien · 31/03/2019 18:35

Thank you. I think I knew. I had a nasty fall at work, and the scan suggested it happened within a couple of days of this.
Stupidly, that week, I had a wonderful dream about both of my late grandparents, and a baby. I think, subliminally, I knew.

OP's posts:
Please
or

sadtoday21 · 31/03/2019 18:46

I am so sorry for your loss. The same thing happened to me seven weeks ago, but I had to have a d&c because I couldn't miscarry naturally. Definitely go with the d&c if you have a choice by tomorrow. It was virtually painless and much less traumatic than other options.

I just wanted to say that your fall probably didn't cause this, please don't think it's your fault. I thought the same with mine because I was traveling long-distance just before it happened and was lifting a very heavy bag for hours whilst waiting at customs. It turns out I had a partial molar pregnancy - they only told me five weeks after the surgery once they analysed the tissue from it - and so it was doomed from conception (even though baby continued to have a hb for 9 weeks) due to chromosomal abnormality.

Sending you hugs and strength to get through this. We are all here for you if you need to talk about it xxx.

Please
or

Vebrithien · 31/03/2019 18:54

Thank you. If I am given the choice, I would prefer surgical management. The waiting for it to start properly is already torture.

OP's posts:
Please
or

crazyfools · 31/03/2019 20:50

Sending you hugs OP

I had the same as you - found out at a 12 week scan that pregnancy had ended a couple of weeks before. I started brown spotting on the Friday and began to pass some small clots with red bleeding on the Sunday - the full natural miscarriage started the following Thursday in the middle of the night and took about 12 hours. Ironically I had been due to go back to the hospital that day to take the pill which speeds it up but obviously didn't need it in the end

Given the option again I would opt for the D&C as at least they should be able to test for any abnormalities x

Please
or

Vebrithien · 01/04/2019 10:13

Thank you crazyfools. The bleeding has petered out now, back to the hospital soon. Anyone got any idea about what the delay might be, if I wanted to push for a D&C? And, are they likely to not want to do the D&C? I'm a teacher, and next week is the Easter holidays. If I could have the D&C this week, there is a decent chance that I would be recovering well by the time the holiday ends. Otherwise, if I have to wait for it to happen naturally, I have no child care in the holiday, and it may not leave long before term starts again. I know, in theory, it's a time to be selfish, but my 6th form students in particular really need me to be present.
Sorry, more of a steam of consciousness, than questions.

OP's posts:
Please
or

crazyfools · 01/04/2019 11:33

I think D&C wait time is around 3/4 days - at the time I couldn't be given a timescale as they don't class it as an emergency and so could be delayed but someone I know had one last week - they rang on the Monday and had it on the Wednesday x

Please
or

Samk79 · 01/04/2019 12:20

@Vebrithien I had an erpc last Monday. I had my second scan the Thursday before to confirm there has been no change from the previous scan. They called me on the Friday and booked me in for the Monday. It was. On the emergency list so they couldn't say how long I would wait. I had to be at the hospital at 11 and left just after 7 x

Please
or

Whatsername7 · 01/04/2019 13:34

Im sorry for your loss. I had had a very similar mmc. I was forced to miscarry naturally (it was Christmas, they had limited staff). I experienced a labour. I had contractions and felt the urge to push. I bled for a week first - bleeding was light then became heavy. I miscarried on day 7. The baby came out on its sac, it was about the size of my palm. I couldn't make out anything except the tiny umbilical cord. I decided to bury my baby in a planter. Think about what you want to do and prepare - maybe put a tupperware container in the bathroom. Please PM me if you have any questions. Also, if you want the surgery, push for it. Good luck. Flowers

Please
or

LividLaughLove · 01/04/2019 13:45

Hi OP. So sorry you’re going through this. I hope you’re not at work today. You REALLY don’t want it to happen at work.

I’m also a teacher and have now been told my multiple mcs are “inconvenient” to the school so I completely understand.

Depends on your hospital as to the wait for surgery: I had a five day wait recently but it happened “naturally” after three.

If you can get in over the next week, you should be physically recovered by the end of Easter, but don’t underestimate the emotional toll xx

Please
or

Vebrithien · 01/04/2019 17:55

Thank you everyone for your experiences and thoughts. The loss was created confirmed today, as baby had no heartbeat yesterday, and was much smaller than expected. I've lost a couple of large clots today, but have been booked in for surgery on Wednesday. The hospital staff were all incredibly kind and compassionate. They did not argue at all for me to just wait and see, and agreed that the surgery would hopefully allow the two weeks for physical recovery.
I am so sorry for all of you who have gone through this too

OP's posts:
Please
or

AJAN09 · 02/04/2019 05:29

It's so sad reading everyone's stories and I'm sorry everyone has experienced this.

I found out no heart beat at 8 week scan and was asked to come back 1 week later to confirm. I choose not to due to dropping hcg levels confirming it for me. Before I got given an appt with the hospital, at the exact time I would have been at my follow up scan, it started at full force, at home THANKFULLY... and over 4 hours of incredibly heavy bleeding, cramping and passing massive clots in the toilet it was done with more or less. However that was 13 days ago and I still have light bleeding. I would have preferred d&c, but at the same time I'm happy my body has done it naturally. Just a bit frustrated at how drawn out it is now.

Best wishes to everyone for the next part of their journey, hope you're all looking after yourselves x

Please
or

Vebrithien · 03/04/2019 07:01

Had some heavy, period like bleeding, but nothing else, so am into the hospital in the next hour. My sympathies for everyone who has been through similar.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.