My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

doctor says ive miscarried, not so sure

24 replies

spugs · 13/05/2007 13:51

I had an early scan on friday where i was told i was 6 and a half weeks pregnant (bang on) but there was no fetal heart beat. The pole measured 9mm and the doctor said that they had a cut off of 6 mm and that anything bigger than this with no heart beat was 'failing to develop'. They didnt book me in for another scan just wanted to know how i wanted to go about removing it. The thing is i was under the impression that there is not always a heart beat at 6.5 weeks and though they said my feeling sick would probly continue it has got worse over the past couple of days and im actually being sick rather then just feeling a bit off. I know im prob just being over hopeful but does anyone have any help they could give me, im supposed to be spending the day in hospital tommorrow taking tablets to make it come out. thanks

OP posts:
MamaMaiasaura · 13/05/2007 13:56

I havent got experience of this but I really hope it is all ok. I would say the the medical team exactly how you feel and ask for another scan on Thursday/Friday before making a decision. sending you hugs xxx

lulumama · 13/05/2007 13:57

i would think that 6.5 weeks early is too soon to guarantee seeing a heartbeat, much less taking anything to induce miscarriage.

i would say, from my own experience, and from what i have read, that 7 + weeks minimum, would be when you would expect to see a heart beat

have you had bleeding, is that why you had the scan?

usually there would be a second scan a week later, to confirm or not , that there is a viable baby or not...

i would be reluctant to go to the hospital tomorrow for the procedue

electra · 13/05/2007 13:58

There was a story on MN recently about this happening to someone who ended up having a D&C when, it turned out she was pg and the hospital had f*ed up . So I would be very cautious about what to do next if I were you. I would go to a private hospital, have another scan and get a second opinion.

From my own pov, I was 7 weeks pg when I was told a similar thing to you. I felt that I was pg and that the pregnancy was fine and I was right It's crazy that a doctor would stick rigidly to a bureaucratic system when it comes to something so important.

PavlovtheCat · 13/05/2007 14:03

Not entirely the same situationas you, but I had been told by my GP that I had miscarried at 7 weeks. End of story. I was not convinced and went to early pregnany unit, who were fantastic and did another scan in their own unit as soon as they could.

My 10 month old DD is currently standing up at a footstall banging and talking babybabble!

I do not know about heartbeats etc, there are others here that can advise you more on that, but I think what I am trying to say is, if you are in any doubt whatsoever, do not do anything before getting a second opinion, have another scan, talk to some experienced midwives at Drs at your early pregnancy unit.

daisybump · 13/05/2007 14:17

Spugs...really feel for you . I had bleeding at 6+4 and had a scan and was told that it would be unlikely that they would see a heartbeat. In the end they did, but thay dated the pg at 7+5 rather than 6+4...due to length and fact that hb was seen. I echo the other posts in that you must get another scan done before making your decison on what to do. Did they test your hcg levels. I would have expected them to do this and re-check/re-scan in a few days before making a decision.

Whatever happens, you don't need to go for medical management if you don't want to.

Good Luck, and I hope your instincts are right

spugs · 13/05/2007 14:17

just been checking this out on the internet and it seems to happen a lot. I didnt have any bleeding just had not felt as ropey for a couple of days. the doctor seemed to think it was the size of the pole rather then the age. the scan was at a early pregnancy assessment unit but i was offered no bloods or further scan. im worried now as ive taken the first pill which makes your hormone level drop so that its easier to make it come out.

OP posts:
kittypants · 13/05/2007 14:19

hope its all ok-ive no experience of this but just wanted to say im thinking of you.

daisybump · 13/05/2007 14:22

Oh Spugs......insist on another scan and that you talk to another consultant before going any further. I'm not sure what effect the medication would have on a viable fetus, but I do think that you need to be really sure of the situation before going any further, otherwise you're going to be beating yourself up about this forever. Can you speak to someone today, or will you have to wait until tomorrow?

spugs · 13/05/2007 14:28

im going tomorrow but im not doing anything untill ive waited a while for either another scan or untill i start bleeding myself. hormone levels will be no good as the tablet will have effected them. im really cross i wasnt offered any further checks as these seem to be normally carried out

OP posts:
Josie3 · 13/05/2007 14:49

This happened to a friend of mine - she was told that there was no heartbeat at 7 weeks, but was told to wait till 9 to make sure. Unfortunetley for her it turned out to be a correct diagnosis - but surely they wouldn't have made her wait 2 more weeks if it was clear cut at 7?

My advice - call your maternity unit today and speak to them about your concerns - ask about the hormone pill.

I wouldn't take anymore pills, and i would insist on another scan in 10 days or so. I know how horrible it is just waiting and brooding - especially when it could all be for nothing, but if there's hope....

Big hugs and lovely thoughts winging your way xxx

spugs · 13/05/2007 14:57

the baby measured 9mm at the scan and the doctor said anything over 6mm with no heartbeat was dead. the info ive found on the internet does seem to back this up.

OP posts:
lulumama · 13/05/2007 15:08

i think waiting to see and waiting for nature to take its course might be best, but i would certainly not do anything without another scan...

MamaMaiasaura · 14/05/2007 11:31

good luck for today spugs xxx

daisybump · 14/05/2007 17:17

Hope you are OK Spugs.....let us know how things went if you feel up to it

PavlovtheCat · 14/05/2007 20:18

Hope it went ok today...thinking of you

spugs · 15/05/2007 19:24

hi, I started bleeding on the sunday and got a second opinion but unfortunatly it was just me being hopefull. I had the tablet treatment yesterday but they didnt see what they wanted to so I had to go back this morning. They decided it would have been so small it may have been missed and ive been sent home to be scanned in 10 days. if its still there then ill either have to take the drug treatment again or have a d and c. Just wish it was over and done with so we can try again. I also need to put on about a stone I read in a magazine that you have a 70% chance of miscarrying if your underweight and unfortunatly at the min my BMI is under 18 so i want to be able to rule that possibility next time. thanks for your concern spugs x

OP posts:
LoveMyGirls · 15/05/2007 19:28

Ohh that's awful for you xx

spugs · 15/05/2007 19:46

im actually not doing to badly today which im putting down to this being my first (and i pray last )m/c and id only known a week and a half. I mean i was heart broken the first few days but ive only had a couple of teary moments today (and im very bad tempered!)

OP posts:
VoodooMama · 15/05/2007 19:53

ah spugs.
I had a 1st dating scan last weds. and they told me fetus was 9wks old but def. had no heartbeat and was not developing.
I had been throwing up 6 ish timeas a day and believed it was a strong pregnancy, two scan operators checked it and agreed, so I booked in for a d&c which I had on friday.
I couldnt have the tablets as I am still bf dd (10mths) I think it was this coupled with being a bit soon after a traumatic birth that meant I lost it,
This is my second miscarriage I had my first 6mths before I got pg with dd,
I just want to say its awful, but time passes and stay upbeat as you can, what suprised me was the number of women I knew that came forward and said they too had had a miscarriage, there is lots of support out there for you.
Keep positive, get that BMI up and get as healthy as you can, give yourself a break before trying again, Im having 2 yrs off now to party, as I realised Ive been trying to get pg/pg/bfeeding/pg again for 2 years!! Its time for me now.

Loads of love XXX

FlossALump · 15/05/2007 20:02

I had a scan at 6+2 and was measured small for dates. Bleak picture painted. However I think these things all vary somewhat and sizing can not be exact, as research I did on the internet seemed to suggest my baby was pretty much spot on for dates. WHen I had my scan at 7+2 I did have a h/b, but (i'm not 100% on this) I think the sonographer said there may not be but that as long as there was growth - I would need a further scan. I think you would be well within your rights to request another scan.

Also, you know all the books/magazines/emails which say what happens when, well they all seem to be different, don't they? I have my fingers crossed for you.xx

FlossALump · 15/05/2007 20:03

Oh shit. I'm sorry. There is a reason for ensuring you read the thread all the way through before posting. I am so so sorry. xx

spugs · 15/05/2007 20:25

dont worry chick, they didnt say it was dead because it should have had a h/b at its age but at its size. i never realised this but i have had several doctors tell me the same thing.

OP posts:
FlossALump · 15/05/2007 20:26

Good luck with the future. xxx

PavlovtheCat · 17/05/2007 10:13

Spugs - I am sorry for your sad news. I know you were hopeful but not expecting it to be positive, I am sorry your fears were confirmed.

I hope that your next attempt will be successful, absolutely no reason for it not to be...
I dont know if it helps at all...esp with you thinking it might be due to your weight. I was told by my midwife that many people miscarry very early on in pregnancy, but do not know it, as they did not realise they were pregnant in the first place. It does not make this any better for you, but perhaps gives you some encouragement that it was nothing you did.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.