My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Smear after MC

6 replies

AnnoyedByAlfieBear · 08/01/2014 13:52

I MC'd at 5 weeks over the new year. Advice from hospital is no sex / tampons for 2 weeks after. My smear is due this month and I know you're supposed to wait a certain amount of weeks after birth if you are due one while pregnant, but I don't know if it's the same after a MC? Does the sex/tampon rule also apply to smears?
Also we want to start trying again ASAP but surely it's best to wait til after the results are back incase there's an issue. I'd be stupid to postpone the test til after a baby is born wouldn't I. Sad

OP posts:
AnnoyedByAlfieBear · 08/01/2014 16:47

Anyone?Sad

OP posts:
eurochick · 08/01/2014 16:50

I was due one after my mc last year and when I turned up they said they shouldn't do one for 12 weeks after an mc as the hormones can affect the cervix. I don't think the same rules apply wrt dtd and tampons though. As far as I know, you can carry on as normal afterwards.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear · 08/01/2014 17:04

Thank you.

OP posts:
bushmills · 08/01/2014 18:48

I had a mmc at 10 1/2 weeks in mid november. I opted to have an ERPC (due to previous ectopic rupture and collapse I wasn't going to wait to miscarry naturally). About a month after the ERPC I needed to have a scan to check all was ok and various other tests including a smear test.

Best advice is to phone your GP and ask, if you're lucky enough to have phone appointments at your surgery I'd recommend doing that.

Good luck!

willchooseanamelater · 08/01/2014 19:17

Sorry to hear of your loss. I also recently had an ERPC following a mmc in mid December. Am also due a smear so checked with GP at my 2 week appointment after ERPC and she said no reason not to book smear straight away, although obviously only when bleeding has stopped.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear · 09/01/2014 11:44

Thanks for your replies. I'm waiting for someone to call me as the receptionist at the GP was unsure.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.