My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Folic acid

6 replies

Hessy · 24/09/2013 10:32

I was feeling ok but now I'm completely distraught. I wasn't taking folic acid - I did with my first child I don't know why I didn't with this pregnancy, lazy, I don't know. Could this be why I miscarried?

I just googled folic acid and miscarriage and lots of sites came up saying take folic acid to prevent mc. I couldn't look any further. If this is why then I'd rather hear it here.

I'm not sure how I will cope with the guilt.

I just rang the epu to ask about bringing my scan forward as I was feeling like my mc might have finished and the woman couldn't have been more dismissive and condescending. So I don't want to ring them again.

OP posts:
Hessy · 24/09/2013 10:41

I've just rang the Miscarriage Assoc and they've reassured me that taking folic acid wouldn't have prevented mc x

OP posts:
Purplefrogshoe · 24/09/2013 10:54

Im so sorry you lost your baby, im glad the mc association have reassured you that this is not your fault, try and be kind to yourself xx

NutcrackerFairy · 24/09/2013 15:56

I'm also glad that you rang the Miscarriage Association and they were able to reassure you.

I think it's natural to look for answers when there are none forthcoming...

I have been told by Drs, nurses and midwives that early mc is most likely caused by chromosomal abnormality.

As far as I know, folic acid can not prevent chromosomal abnormality, that is something completely not within your control.

Sorry for your loss Hessy Flowers

Bakingtins · 24/09/2013 16:16

It's normal to look for something to blame, but the reality is some women do everything wrong and go on to have healthy pregnancies, and others do everything right and miscarry. There is no justice to it. If it was as simple as taking folic acid then none of us would be here. I was on 5mg of the stuff last time, rattling with the bloody pills, and I still lost the baby.
Try not to entertain any feelings of guilt, it wasn't your fault.

Luisa72 · 24/09/2013 16:19

I took pregnacare plus. was very disciplined and have still miscarried. every where I read it says 'this is not your fault'. please hang on. its awful but its not our fault.....

justhayley · 25/09/2013 21:42

Hey Hun sorry for your loss. I had a MC 3 weeks ago & was taking folic acid a few months prior to conceiving, it made no difference. Iv been looking for a reason for it as well, even through everywhere says it's just one of those things it's really hard to accept that.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.