My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

2nd MC can I asked to be tested?

11 replies

JezzaJ9 · 06/05/2011 12:11

Hi, I just want some advice really, I am currently in the early stages of my 2nd MC in 6 months, maybe it was too soon or just meant to be. It is happening at the same time almost exactly as the last one 8 weeks to the day and to the day that I would have had my normal period. Maybe I am clutching at straws or looking for something that is not there and its just natures way of doing what it does. Do you think they would do tests if i asked?

OP posts:
JezzaJ9 · 06/05/2011 12:14

Sorry I know people have had many MCs and maybe I am being selfish, but I feel like I am in limbo, I have a fantastic DS who is 2.5 y o and dont want to get consumed by this but its hard :(.

OP posts:
silverangel · 06/05/2011 13:32

So sorry Jezza, but frm what I understand you have to have had 3 before they will investigate (although that may be just in my area).

Good luck.

emptyshell · 06/05/2011 13:37

I got picked up and put into the system after 2. No tests done as of yet, but they've at least set it up so if I get pregnant again, I call up the EPU and they'll scan me early at the point things start to go wrong in order to see what's happening and I'm on the miscarriage lady's list of patients.

Three seems to be the standard though.

mia1972 · 07/05/2011 08:20

Hi there,

I'm in a similar situation just had my second miscarriage. NHS tests only after 3 consecutive mcs, however sometimes you can get a sympathetic doctor. I recevied a call from the gyno who saw me on weds at the EPU, she has made an appointment with a consultant at the hosp for an inital assessment - I think she was moved by pity and the fact that I am already 39...very sweet of her...

Having said this, I think I will go private anyway, as NHS doesn't test for everthing only some basic tests....for my peace of mind I need to do everything I can at this stage...

Of course everything could come back inconclusive ...

Good luck !

LittleWhiteWolf · 07/05/2011 23:21

I think its 3 as well. I feel like you OP because I've had 2 now (one mc, one mmc which I am still recovering from) both occuring this year, so in a 5 month time frame. It makes me wary of trying again because I feel like if I have another mc "at least I'll be able to have it looked into" when I don't want to feel this at all, I want to look forward to pregnancy without the silver lining.
It's difficult. Sad I'm sorry for you.

igggi · 09/05/2011 09:15

Hi OP. After 2 my GP referred me to an obstetrician at hospital - not recurrent mc clinic but someone who could perform all the same bloodtests. I think partly she agreed as I was in late 30s. As it happened, I mc again before I got to see her. If I could go back to the time after mc#2 I would see someone privately then, rather than now, as I am doing.
(Most people don't have one mc never mind 2, so I don't think you are being selfish at all in wanting help!)

igggi · 09/05/2011 09:15

Hi OP. After 2 my GP referred me to an obstetrician at hospital - not recurrent mc clinic but someone who could perform all the same bloodtests. I think partly she agreed as I was in late 30s. As it happened, I mc again before I got to see her. If I could go back to the time after mc#2 I would see someone privately then, rather than now, as I am doing.
(Most people don't have one mc never mind 2, so I don't think you are being selfish at all in wanting help!)

AnyFucker · 09/05/2011 09:34

Yes, you can certainly ask

I did and was given a range of tests after 2 mc

I was already in the "system" though as undergoing fertility treatment

Many GP's/doctors are very understanding about the emotional anguish of miscarrying and the nagging worry for the future they cause and will refer to put your mind at rest

Sorry for your losses x

MandaHugNKiss · 09/05/2011 10:21

As mentioned, the 'balnket' rule is 'testing after three' (and even then, I think sometimes you need to be a bit proactive and ask before anything is done...).

But, as also mentioned, there certainly are sympathetic GP's/consultants who are willing to bend the rules in some circumstances.

For instance, I'm five weeks out from a mmc at almost 17 weeks. The baby delivered in a clot the size of a bowling ball, absolutely unbelievably massive... and as it seems logical to me my uterus filled with blood for this to happen, I asked my GP if the blood would also have ended up in my tubes and in turn would this mean they are blocked or would the clots eventually get reabsorbed. She said that they wouldn't necessarily get filled with blood but if they did it would be reabsorbed eventually, however, if I came to ttc and nothing was happening after a couple of months (she knows I get pregnant just by looking at my partner...) then she was happy to start some testing 'even though we don't usually - you've been through such a traumatic experience' (and I'm reasonably 'mature' at 37).

I don't know how I feel about ttc right now but the fact I know that if it comes to it, my gp is behind me rather than shoo-ing me away with 'you were just unlucky' is so reassuring.

Do you have a good relationship with your GP? If not, could you foster one? I know what you mean about it being hard not become obsessed (especially when we have other little ones to consider) so perhaps a visit to the GP is in order just to talk about that aspect - I think it's reasonable that most GP's would recognise our mental health can certainly be soothed by actively treating something that is physically a huge issue in our lives. Long term physical pain is known to cause depression, why not mental anguish too? However, if you don't voice your feelings to your GP they'll never know it's a problem for you, y'know?

So sorry for your losses, I really hope you can continue on to a healthy pregnancy soon.

JezzaJ9 · 09/05/2011 20:41

Hi All,

Thank you so much for you responses. It makes me feel a lot better, well definitely like I am not going insane.

I had the scan today and all has passed through naturally but the midwife said they can't help after 2 and that it is still seen as bad luck, and most people they put forward for testing after 2 MCs by the time they get an appointment they are pregnant with a successful pregnancy and as I am 34 I have 3 months until I am considered mature! So I think I will take your advice and have a chat with my GP and see if I can have some blood tests done, my sister suggested it Thyrod testing as this happened to afriend so who knows.

Again thank you, your responses mean so much and sorry for all your losses.

J9
x

OP posts:
AnyFucker · 09/05/2011 21:12

well, although it is hard to hear right now, it can be down to bad luck (I know, I know....I hated to hear it too)

so bloody irritating to be told "it will happen"

my unsaid response was = "yeah...so you have a fucking crystal ball do you ?"

but FWIW, my 3rd pg was a successful one

all the best x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.