Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mature study and retraining

Going back to studying after a long break from education?

6 replies

Orangelover · 17/01/2022 01:36

I've recently started a masters level course directly related to my job (healthcare post). I enjoyed my first degree ten years ago and although time consuming and some times a little boring I generally got on with the work pretty well and came out with a good classification despite not always putting my heart and soul into it (was busy drinking...)

I've just finished writing my first assignment (yep at 1am the day before the deadline) and I've found it so tough! Debatable whether I've done enough to pass! I'm lying here wondering if I'm just super rusty, or if I really haven't got it in me too write academically at this level. Not finding this enjoyable at all! My time management has also definitely deteriorated since my student days!

Anyone else in a similar situation? Will it get better? BlushConfused

OP posts:
Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 17/01/2022 10:43

You’ll be pleased to learn there’s a whole new board for Mature Study and Retraining, here:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mature_students

Zillions of posters with whom you’ll find you have much in common!

(I have exhausted myself suggesting people ask MNHQ to move their threads there …)

Please
or

mdh2020 · 17/01/2022 11:11

Being a mature student, working , with caring responsibilities is way different to being an undergraduate. I always used to tell this to my students. Manage your time and aim to pass. Do not expect to achieve the results you got when you were 20 and had nothing else to think about but your studies. If you achieve high grades, all well and good. You don’t say who you are studying with but your institution probably has support for mature students as well. Ask your fellow students, they will all be feeling the same way.

Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 25/02/2022 08:06

Bumping for more thoughts on the struggle …

Please
or

seekinglondonlife · 25/02/2022 08:10

I did my masters after a gap and there was a lot of new anxiety, night swears and "I can't do this" moments. It will get better, you will get into the rhythm of it as time goes on. Be easy on yourself!

Please
or

seekinglondonlife · 25/02/2022 08:11

Night sweats, although I'm sure there was a fair bit of swearing by day and night too.

Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 25/02/2022 08:16

I graduated from my postgraduate degree exactly thirty years after graduating from my first degree.

Most fantastic thing I’ve ever ever done in my life - but it was staggeringly hard.

Please
or