Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mature study and retraining

Great resource - National Careers Service. Online careers info and skills assessments.

6 replies

EdmontinaDonsAutumnalHues · 17/11/2021 08:15

So often, when I’m looking up jobs people have mentioned here, I find myself on this site:

nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

• so it seemed worth sharing, in case anyone isn’t aware of its existence. Excellent starting point for discovering the routes to qualification for every possible career. (I haven’t actually checked for Lion Tamer training …)

The skills assessments probably aren’t going to tell you anything you really don’t know - but at periods of transition or uncertainty it’s helpful to see things set out clearly, as an aid to thinking things through.

Have a look …
OP posts:
Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 20/12/2021 11:01

Bumping …

Please
or

tellmewhentheLangshiplandscoz · 20/12/2021 11:15

Thanks both because a) I had no idea this board existed! And b) I'm at a lucky/confusing (delete as appropriate) stage in life where I'm looking for work in the new year with no pressure of hours or pay, just more to get back into things after a "career break" ... potentially I'm happy to do anything but I'm struggling with how to look and what to look for so there may be some tools here to help me focus a bit.

Like you say OP at times of transition it helps to get some clarity. Especially when peri menopause brain fog/occasional bouts of anxiety make you either think that hell yes, you've still got lots to offer and a solid work ethic. Then the next day when you put your car keys in the fridge wonder if you should even leave the house for the sake of the safety of others ... Confused

Please
or

LublinToDublin · 20/12/2021 11:17

Thanks

Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 20/12/2021 11:30

Especially when peri menopause brain fog/occasional bouts of anxiety make you either think that hell yes,

Xmas Grin OMG - it was a hell yes moment that hurtled me into an MA … In extreme middle age, in a subject in which I had zero experience. It’s been an adventure.

Please
or

tellmewhentheLangshiplandscoz · 20/12/2021 13:55

Good for you Literally. One advantage of this stage of life is when the confidence strikes we can be unstoppable x

Please
or

languagelover96 · 21/12/2021 16:57

I love that resource. This is one I also recommend, prospects.ac.uk good informative site too.

Please
or