My feed

to access all these features

Use our Single Parent forum to speak to other parents raising a child alone.

Lone parents

My friend says lone parents are entitled to help to pay for school uniforms?

8 replies

Curiousmama · 24/06/2009 19:45

Is this true do you know? I'm on IS and a friend today said that I should get help with ds1's school uniform as he's going to comprehensive? I've never heard of this?

OP posts:
FAQinglovely · 24/06/2009 19:46

depends on your local council. Some councils still offer help - others (like mine) stopped it.

Have a look on your council website and it will say somewhere on there if they still operate the help or not.

Curiousmama · 24/06/2009 20:03

thanks for that FAQ

OP posts:
GypsyMoth · 24/06/2009 20:11

I get it ( beds) it's more if your child is transferring to a new school. It's about £20 per child. We also get a discount if we buy uniform from the school.

HecatesTwopenceworth · 24/06/2009 20:14

Why lone parents? You could have a lone parent in a job earning them £100,000.

Does she mean people on low incomes?

UndertheBoredwalk · 24/06/2009 20:16

It's not lone parents, it's parents on IS or jobseekers. And as said not all councils offer it. I'm in Liverpool and just today got my £20 cheque towards school uniform.

GypsyMoth · 24/06/2009 20:20

We get vochers here, not cheques. Plenty of shops take them I hope now woolworths have gone.

Yes, you need to be claiming IS for it. Or jobseekers, possibly disability too, not too sure, but definitely IS

mrsmortenharket · 26/06/2009 10:09

i don't think we get it in sw

bakerslovecakes · 26/06/2009 11:55

my local ed department told me that you cant get it now even if your on IS, only if you have a flood or something like that. They told me to apply to charities for help but they said that takes months so i didnt bother.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.