My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Single Parent forum to speak to other parents raising a child alone.

Lone parents

Does anyone buy Xmas pressie for ex from kids?

36 replies

ginnedupmummykissingsantaclaus · 08/12/2006 11:30

When we first split up, he bought me a present from the kids (a digital camera - guilt present I think!) and I did the same.
The next few years we did the same, but when I got together with my dp he took on the job of taking the boys out to buy me a present and xp and I weren't getting on so he never bothered again.
I still buy him a present every year from the kids (usually a HMV voucher or something)
I hate doing it, but its for the kids, but I just wondered if anyone else does this and how much you spend on them?

OP posts:
3xamum · 12/12/2006 18:17

I do but hate doing it! Its only something small and for the kids benefit but arggghhh is all I can say.

Blondilocks · 12/12/2006 18:20

I get my ex-OH a present from me as well as we still get on, & he gets me one.

3xamum · 12/12/2006 18:25

He doesn't get me anything btw

JustUsTwoTurtleDoves · 12/12/2006 18:28

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JustUsTwoTurtleDoves · 12/12/2006 18:33

gigglinggoblin · 12/12/2006 18:35

i dont buy anything for x, i told the kids they will have to ask their gran on his side to take them shopping if they want to get him something and they have been happy with that.

all presents from kids are from pound shop here and they only buy for people we like so am at how much people spend on xps! i do it cos i like to think i am teaching them to think of others, but i think i can teach them that in the pound shop just as well as anywhere else!

JustUsTwoTurtleDoves · 12/12/2006 18:41

3xamum · 12/12/2006 20:07

JustUsTwoTurtleDoves thanks that makes me feel a bit better. It really makes my dp's blood boil that i do anything for the ex but I don't want to ever do anything to influence the kids feelings about him.

rainbowgirl · 12/12/2006 22:11

i did buy a nice mirror for dd's dad and his new partner at an xmas market a couple of weeks ago, in a fit of pregnancy-inspired generosity (he's not the dad of this new baby btw) but in view of the fact that he cancelled my dd's visit to see him, after effectively giving her headlice and then refusing to treat them himself or deal with it in any useful way, i want to smash it over his head!! or perhaps hex it in some way.

mummymic · 12/12/2006 22:15

3 kids - 2 dads - never bought for ds1 dad - he was, and still is, a tosser - gave up work to avoid paying maintenance!
however, dd and ds2 dad not too bad - gives me loads of money but always has to ask me if i want a present (after 3 years he still cant get that bit right!! part of reason we are not together!)and even when i tell him, explicitly, what i want he gets it wrong however i do buy him a token from the kids

happyatlast · 15/12/2006 18:39

I buy a present for my daughters dad cos he is unemployed and has nothing much to show for his life so I think it cheers up his otherwise dull and lonely christmas, however my sons dad I dont bother with cos hes married now so someone else is there to buy for him and I made the mistake of buying him something once for his birthday from our son and when my birthday came around I got sweet FA so needless to say I buy him jack sh*t now!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.