My feed

to access all these features

Use our Single Parent forum to speak to other parents raising a child alone.

Lone parents

how much does it cost to change the locks?

25 replies

single1ds · 16/10/2010 14:46

just wondering really, would be 2 doors?

OP posts:
3thumbedwitch · 16/10/2010 14:48

depends on the complexity of the locks - if they're upvc doors with security locks, you need professional locksmith, likely to be upwards of £100.

If simple Yale/chubb locks, do it yourself, costs a lot less and you get the new barrel for yale from DIY shop.

3thumbedwitch · 16/10/2010 14:48

sorry - you can get the new chubb lock from DIY shops as well - rather more complicated to fit than the Yale barrel though.

single1ds · 16/10/2010 15:05

thanks, think i am going to have a word with my dad about this. we have been separated a long time, but had a conversation with friend whose H has cleared her out when she wasnt there, not sure i can take chance really, would this go against me with regard to divorce after 2 yrs? he obviously still has key howver is also paying mortgage.

OP posts:
PigletJohn · 16/10/2010 16:02

To answer this question we need to know what sort of locks you have, and if you have a wooden door.

If you have a simple yale-type nightlatch with a round cylinder rose on the outside and a plain knob on the inside (very insecure)a replacement cylinder can be bought for a few pounds and fitted by anyone skilled with a screwdriver and pliers.

If you have a British Standard mortice deadlock (which you should have) then even less skill is needed, PROVIDED that you buy a replacement which is exactly the same size including the position of the keyhole (even a variation of 6mm may mean you need drill and chisel work). The newer the lock is the more likely you are to find an exact match. Look at the front of the mortice lock, it should have a kitemark which in tiny print will have a BS number and year (the year is important). Given this, and the make, which will also be on the front of the lock, I can give you a good idea of how easy it will be to match.

If you are paying someone to do it, the Best Buy mortice deadlock (per Which test) is the Union J-2134E at about £30 with three keys, available at any DIY shed or hardwarte store or locksmith.

The "E" at the end of the model number of many new locks mean they have an "E"xtended bolt, meaning the brass psrt that comes out to engage with the keep in the frame is longer, and usually thicker, than old older locks, so it is more resistant to levering and will engage well even if the door is fairly old and loose with a big gap.

If you have a plastic door, it will probably have an oval "Eurocylinder". These are easy to buy and fit but they vary in length and you have to get the exact same length again.

Cylinder locks, unless extremely expensive, are not as secure as mortice deadlocks.

tutu100 · 16/10/2010 16:07

If your ex-p is still paying the mortgage then legally you are not allowed to change the locks.

I'm not telling you not to change them, just warning you that legally your ex-p is supposed to be able to access the home oif they are paying the mortgage unless you have legal documents in place to say otherwise. Dp's sister got caught out by this.

PigletJohn · 16/10/2010 16:20

are you saying that an ex-partner is allowed to walk into someone else's home without their knowledge?

Surely not!

I would have thought that acces would be after reasonable notice and consent

How much of the detail of your DP's sister's arrangements, and the condition of their legal separation, do you know?

tutu100 · 16/10/2010 18:09

Sil seperated from her ex-p and wanted him to move out and she would remain in the family home with him paying the mortgage until they could sell the house (they weren't married, but had a child together and both their names were on the mortgage). She wanted to change the locks so her ex-p couldn't get in the house without her knowledge. Her solicitor told her she couldn't do that as it was against the law as long as her ex-p's name was on the mortgage and he was paying it.

She decided to leave the home after this as she couldn't stand the idea of him being able to come as go as he wanted. The solicitor said that the courts would not look on her favourably if she changed the locks and her ex-p complained about it.

If she had an injunction against him she could stop him having access, but she had no grounds for this. This was around 5 years ago so it is possible the law has changed since then. Her ex-p was going to have to leave some of his stuff in the house if he left and I think belongings being in the house also had some bearing on him having to have access.

I just didn't want the OP to find herself with more problems if the law is still the same and she has an arse of an ex-p like my sil had. Like I said my sil decided to leave the house and live in a very cramped flat that she could afford alone rather than have the threat of her ex-p turning up whenever he wanted. Although it was handy knowing that he couldn't change the locks either.

Op it might be worth asking in the legal section if there would be any problems with you changing the locks.

VictoriasLittleKnownSecret · 16/10/2010 22:24

I changed my locks myself. It was very easy and very cheap :)

I had UPVC doors

3thumbedwitch · 16/10/2010 22:40

tutu - my sister had the same problem with it - her DH left for another woman and she changed the locks and then discovered she had acted illegally - ended up having to give him a key anyway, so that it was a complete waste of (a lot of) money.

SolidButShamblingUndeadBrass · 17/10/2010 09:53

Isn't there something that can be done if it can be demonstrated that there is agenuine risk of the XP either removing property which is not his, or doing damage in the house?

ChocHobNob · 17/10/2010 10:04

It is still technically his house though. He's paying the mortgage on it.

Anyone can claim to be "at risk" of something or other, but unless something happens, no-one will do anything about it. If he has entered the property and stolen something that isn't his or vandalised something then yes, the OP could possibly report him to the police and ask for a restraining order etc. But he's not actually done anything. And it is still his house too.

PigletJohn · 17/10/2010 18:30

if there is a legal separation, doesn't it specify anything about the home? No that I know.

CarGirl · 17/10/2010 18:36

How would her ex know unless he tried to gain access to the house without her permission? Is it part of your agreement that you live in the house?

SIL moved out and ex-BIL acted illegally and changed the locks but the police told her that she could still be arrested if she broke back into her house - joint home with joint mortgage.

Frrrrightattendant · 17/10/2010 18:53

PigletJohn - thanks ever so much for that info. Smile

single1ds · 17/10/2010 21:56

just wanted to say thanks. looks like i am going to have to leave it, but after that happened to friend, i am worried. he wont engage with me and rented a flat without me knowing, howver has been fairly reasonable in other respects, but how do i know if he will just "turn". no separation agreement in place, debating whther to file on UB or wait 2 years, which will be up in july 2011. not sure i can carry on living like this tho, feel like life oon hold a lot

OP posts:
CarGirl · 17/10/2010 22:02

Why don't you change one lock such as the back door and put a dead lock on the front door - it's like an extra safety bolt you can only turn it from the inside - for example if you go on holiday?

That way legally you haven't changed the lock but he wouldn't be able to clear you out whilst away on holiday or anything like that?

tutu100 · 17/10/2010 22:08

Can you sort out the financial situation before the divorce? I know my parent divorce was delayed because they took a long time to resolve the financial situation.

Can you afford to buy your ex-p out. That way his name can be removed from the mortgage and you can do what you like. Or another possibility would be to freeze his half of the assetts in the house as a fixed price or a percentage. You then take over the mortgage and then he gets his share of the house either when you sell, or when you can afford to pa him back.

have you consulted a solicitor yet? They would be able to advise you of all possible options.

PigletJohn · 19/10/2010 00:40

I think at the least, I would fit a strong bolt at top and bottom of each external door or french window, that you can operate from the inside.

Rack Mortice bolts are best (if you have a wooden door) but need a steady hand to drill a large deep hole into the edge of the door.

they will also dissuade burgars as they are strong, and you can remove the key so they are difficult to open even if you break glass and put your hand through.

at night, put the keys on a cup-hook screwed into the door frame up high, on the hinge side, out of sight but where you can easily grab it in an emergency.

If you are not very good at woodwork, just fit ordinary steel barrel bolts (not weedy little brass or aluminium ones as used on bathroom doors) top and bottom. Use long steel screws.

brightwell · 19/10/2010 08:39

I regret not changing my locks after ex left, unbeknown to me he had a set of keys cut before he handed back his keys. He would go into the house when me & dc were away, rifle through & copy my personal papers etc. While it was still his house it was my & dc's home. If you lose your keys you would have to have new locks.

JulioHo · 02/07/2014 12:33

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Keyringkey · 26/01/2015 16:59

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EmmaHarris · 29/07/2015 22:44

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

locksmithlondon · 11/01/2017 00:51

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blushingm · 12/01/2017 13:34

I changed my own - £10 per lock

Superaspie · 12/01/2017 13:39


Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.