Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

New to Folkestone and mumsnet - please help!

Thestarsshinestill · 09/11/2020 09:12

Hi Mumsnetters

My family and I (Daughter3, Son9months) are just completing the purchase of a house and relocating to Folkestone. It's exciting but nervewracking as we don't know anyone. Particularly worried the effect that Covid and restrictions will have in getting to meet people.

Would really value any help or advice.

We have to apply for Primary Schools for our daughter in January and I'd reeeally appreciate the inside scoop from parents rather than Ofsted.

We're going to be close to Folkestone West train station so nearest Primaries will be Morehall, Sandgate, Folkestone and Harcourt Primaries (we don't want any religious schools). Any experience of these would be really appreciated.

Also nurseries/kindergartens/playgroups etc for my son.

And is there a Forest School in Folkestone?

Thanks so much!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Livebythecoast · 15/11/2020 18:40

Hi @Thestarsshinestill. Welcome to Folkestone! Unfortunately I'm a bit out of touch with primary schools as my DD is 16 now. She went to a little church school in town but we really wanted her to go to sandgate primary as it has an excellent reputation but we were out of the catchment area. She went to smarty pants nursery up at the East Cliff which was excellent, but again, it was a while ago now.
I'm afraid I don't know of any forest schools.
I'm sure there are lots of groups still (covid permitting). We used to go to baby massage, bumps and babes etc at the round building in Dover road. I suppose it depends if you drive too?
The coastal park is lovely (especially in the Summer) with wooden climbing adventures, zip slide, sand pits etc and it's right by a pebbled beach with a nice coffee/snack place. Obviously with winter and covid you're going to be a bit limited for now Sad. There is a soft play place called kidz planet in Cheriton too. It's a lovely place to bring up children with sandy beaches as well as pebbled. Like any seaside town it gets busy in the Summer especially at sunny sands beach by the harbour but it's not 'heaving' and theres plenty of other beaches including a secluded one called the Warren which has rockpools. We have many happy memories of my dd's young childhood here. I hope you'll be very happy Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.