My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Life-limiting illness

If someone suffered a stroke but were asleep for 5 days, would the stroke show on CTscan after 5 days?

6 replies

Shoot4theMoon · 21/03/2023 19:19

Basically if a child had a stroke following surgery but they were sedated for 5 days following the surgery and when they woke up something was clearly wrong (child didn’t recognise parents and starts having repeated seizures) so the child is sent immediately to CT scan but 5 days have passed since the child potentially had a stroke would it still show on the scan?

OP posts:
BuffyTheBuffetSlayer · 27/03/2023 09:17

If there was damage to the brain then I would assume so. Strokes can cause brain tissue damage and can be seen as a contrasting colour on the CT.

However, MRI's are far better at detecting them that CT's. I've had 2 strokes, last one was last week and the Dr told me this while arranging my CT.

So sorry to hear your DC is going through this, I can't even imagine. I hope you got answers. How is she doing now? Flowers

Nimbostratus100 · 27/03/2023 09:19

yes it would show

Shoot4theMoon · 01/04/2023 08:27

@BuffyTheBuffetSlayer at the time they only done Ct and said he was in the clear. He was never the same since he now has sever learning disability and he’s in a special school. It’s been blamed on the surgery alone and the fact as a newborn he was in hospital being poked and prodded with needles all of the time and having surgery after surgery and they said thus alone can cause autism because the brain has been treat differently during the early weeks / months of life so the brain reacts different.

OP posts:
PoBaFla · 01/04/2023 08:29

Yes old stokes that took place years ago still show on scans.

Honoraryuce · 01/04/2023 08:35

Yes it would always show on a CT or MRI scan but the appearance would change over time.

Hotpinkangel19 · 19/05/2023 14:59

Yes

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.