My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Life-limiting illness

Chemo + COVID vacciné

7 replies

justwaydamin · 01/04/2021 13:28

Hey I just wanted to see if anyone has had the experience of getting the COVID vaccine mid chemo treatment?
My DH has just had round 5 out of 6 R-CHOP chemo for lymphoma this week. Received his invitation to vaccine this morning through the post.
We have had such conflicting advice from his consultants and nurses. Some say there's no point in getting the vaccine as his antibodies are so low and that's what the vaccine attaches to (I think this is what was said?) whereas when I called to question it the APNurse said there's no question he should def have the vaccine but rearrange for a day or so before his next chemo session. Basically I just don't think they've had chance to really look at the effectiveness on chemo patients yet??
He's done so well with his chemo, has generally got through them okay and feels surprisingly well all things considering so he is apprehensive about having the vaccine in case of bad side effects which could make his next chemo round more difficult. He is erring on the side of postponing it until a couple of weeks after his chemo is finished (beginning May)
Has anyone been in a similar position or could offer any advice? Thanks

OP posts:
hellcatspangle · 01/04/2021 13:33

Well my dm had her first jab, they just said not to have it the same week as her chemo so as she was on three week cycle she had it in the middle. This was before they announced that chemo patients weren't as well protected though. She's due her second one any day now so I've got to ring the cancer helpline and check what to do. Sorry I haven't really answered your question!

justwaydamin · 01/04/2021 14:02

Thanks Hellcat it's just so confusing. I actually dreamt about the vaccine last night, I strolled into boots and got it - if only it was that easy!

OP posts:
Sugarplumfairy65 · 04/04/2021 00:07

Are you a member of one of the UK NHL facebook pages? There are lots of members having their jabs during treatment who will be able to share their experiences with you

SlB09 · 04/04/2021 00:16

Husband has lymphoma also, recent research shows efficacy of 1st vaccine to stop serious/hospital admission to be around 13% for those with heamatological cancers as appose to 70-90% (depending which figures you take) for those without.

Absolutely he needs to have it. My husband had his a few weeks ago on week three of cycle when white cells at their highest. Consultant encouraged him to ensure he got it, the research made his kind up (although it's only one study and obviously needs further studies going forward).

SlB09 · 04/04/2021 00:17

He also had zero side effects

justwaydamin · 04/04/2021 10:54

Thank you, that's v helpful.

Unfortunately his white cell count is so low throughout treatment, he has to take the filgrastim shot before each chemo session- he doesn't really have a time in his cycle where it is high.

Just one more chemo session and hopefully this whole nightmare will be over 🙏🏼

OP posts:
SlB09 · 04/04/2021 21:25

Ah my husband also has filgrastim!
Thisoght help....no definitive answer but alot of informative information to help you decide
www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-in-general/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-and-cancer

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.