My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Life-limiting illness

DH heart health

17 replies

Melabells · 02/02/2021 22:15

Hello everyone,

Bit of back story. My DH is 29 always been healthy apart from odd man flu here and there. Bit of a dad bod which is to be expected with working full time and looking after our three DC ( 6,4 and 10 months) DH caught covid end of December and was really ill in hospital for a week, we thought we might loose him. Worst two weeks of our lives. But he got home under strict instructions to test. He has lost so much weight and the drs are concerned about his heart having been affected by the covid. He has a heart scan on 16th and gp is checking him every week until then. I am terrified for him. The words heart failure have been mentioned, he is so young how would this affect him? Can it be fixed? Had anyone here experienced anything similar? I just want him to get better. He is struggling to do anything at the moment and this is over a month that he first became ill. Any experiences would be great to hear some positive experiences of living with hear failure. Thanks πŸ™

OP posts:
Melabells · 03/02/2021 15:16

Bump? Anyone experienced living with heart failure?

OP posts:
Soon2BeMrs · 04/02/2021 16:41

So sorry you are going through this. I had mild case of covid and since have been breathless. I had an ecg couple of weeks ago which showed an abnormality. I have now been referred for a heart scan but have to wait 4 weeks for that. I am wreck waiting for it and so anxious.

Soon2BeMrs · 04/02/2021 16:41

Has he had the results of heart scan

Melabells · 04/02/2021 17:55

His scan is 16th and he has a gp appointment for another ecg tomorrow as they are keeping a close eye on him. We are terrified. We came so close to loosing him to covid and now we have no idea what his future holds. I'm so worried I wish this bloody virus had never appeared, I just want him to be healthy and see his babies grow up 😭

OP posts:
Soon2BeMrs · 04/02/2021 18:12

@Melabells I know it's awful. ThanksI've had a panic attack this evening just thinking about it. I have an echo scan at the end of the month, I'm so scared. I have young children also. I'm just trying to take each day at a time. Is you DH being seen by cardiology

Melabells · 04/02/2021 19:32

Yes he has been assigned a cardiologist. I'm just trying to keep as busy as I can so the dark cloud I feel building up is not so distracting. Like you just taking it day by day. I just hope the ECG tomorrow doesn't show any more deterioration. Can I ask was it just the breathlessness that made you get checked out? He is still very breathless also.

OP posts:
Soon2BeMrs · 05/02/2021 09:23

@Melabells I've not been assigned a cardiologist yet. When I had my ECG the nurse said it looked like a mini heart attack and that they had seen many covid cases like this but since then GP has said I need the echo scan before anything else. I have been breathlessness and racing heart. I used to exercise a couple of times a week but now can't even walk up the stairs without panting.

I hope the Ecg goes ok today x

Melabells · 05/02/2021 10:06

Thanks it's in two hours I'm so nervous. He is the same, stairs are so hard for him. And his cough is high he hasn't shifted yet leaves him almost gasping. I just want him to be ok. Hope you get more answers soon. If you feel worse I would pester your gp and maybe they will see you sooner? That's what I did πŸ™ˆ

OP posts:
Soon2BeMrs · 05/02/2021 10:49

I understand; I will be so nervous on the day of my echo and to make it worse I can't take anyone with me Sad
Initially I was told 5 months wait for echo scan so I called GP last week and got it moved a bit closer. Part of me thinks if they were that concerned it would be sooner. It's just the waiting and not knowing.
Does your DH feel unwell with it all?

HollowTalk · 05/02/2021 11:48

That sounds so frightening. I hope everything goes well today and on the 16th and he makes a full recovery soon. Flowers

Soon2BeMrs · 05/02/2021 16:47

@Melabells hope the ecg went okay xx Thanks

Melabells · 10/02/2021 23:06

He has been sent home with a portable oxygen and heart rate probe. And a 24 hr ecg thingy. He has to keep a log of his stats for his appointment for his scan on 16th the next 6 days can't come soon enough. Just want him to get better πŸ˜”

OP posts:
Soon2BeMrs · 11/02/2021 09:36

I ended up in a&e on Friday night with chest pains. Ecg abnormal again but they done echo there in a&e and that was all normal. Dr said he has seen a few like this, is 30's and they are thinking it's long covid, they are hoping it will resolve on its own, could take months though but it is scary not knowing

Melabells · 11/02/2021 12:28

@Soon2BeMrs so sorry to hear you had to go into hospital. Good thing you got you scan earlier. It's so frightening that they don't have more answers. Have you been given medication to help keep you safe?

OP posts:
EKGEMS · 11/02/2021 12:38

Heart failure can sometimes be recoverable with medications,rest,diet and time. Sounds like viral cardiomyopathy. I've seen people recover and I've been a cardiac nurse for 20+ years. By the way I'm still sick with Covid induced tachycardia-I'm under care of a cardiologist and taking a beta blocker.

EKGEMS · 11/02/2021 12:39

I also went in hospital and got a lot of tests-I have postural tachycardia syndrome and my doctor has been having a whole lot of patients with it due to Covid

Soon2BeMrs · 11/02/2021 15:42

@Melabells I've not been given any medication just told to rest. I honestly thought they would find something on my echo. I've now booked in for MRI, I don't think they know what to do with me. Is you DH on medication?

@EKGEMS what symptoms do you have? Would POTS show on an ecg or echo? Hope you're feeling better soon Thanks

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.