My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Life-limiting illness

Private treatment.

6 replies

Daisygrills · 03/03/2020 16:02

Hello, had some scary symptoms recently and gp said would refer me to neurologist. I have private healthcare and have asked to get referred thru bupa as I know it will be quicker
They are asking for referral letter to be sent to them first so they can make a decision if I'm allowed referral. Does anyone have experience of this. I want private referral cause if I do have ms want to start treatment as soon as possible. Also dont know if there are treatments that you can get private that aren't available on nhs. Looking for advice thanks. Feeling scared.

OP posts:
notapizzaeater · 03/03/2020 17:05

Our insurance company need a referral letter before they agree to the consultation

Waterandlemonjuice · 03/03/2020 17:09

Speak to your private healthcare provider and ask them what the process is. Generally how it works is that GP agrees you need referral, you call BUPA, they give you an approval code or tell you where you can go, you arrange it. But I’ve only had treatment for back pain, GP said I needed physio, BUPA gave me a code, I called an approved physio and physio directly billed Bupa. Good luck.

Waterandlemonjuice · 03/03/2020 17:09

Also bupa will want to check the referral / item is covered under your policy.

foursonsonly · 18/03/2020 21:40

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notapizzaeater · 19/03/2020 00:17

@foursonsonly ((hugs)) come join the thread on here calm after the storm, there's a few of us with DH with cancer supporting each other

joystir59 · 27/06/2020 04:50

If you potentially have a major illness like ms I wouldn't think your private healthcare will be much use tbh. You will be better off using the nhs

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.