My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Life-limiting illness

Blood clot in the lung

7 replies

Emls92 · 22/06/2019 13:44

Hello,

I’m not sure if anyone can help me or even if this is the relevant section to add this.

I have been diagnosed with Pulmonary embolism (which is several small clots in your lungs) and have been told to inject myself with 160mg of clexane (which is a blood thinner). I am so worried/ anxious/ scared about this diagnosis. I am also 26 weeks pregnant.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice or if anyone has had any similar experiences?

Thank you x

OP posts:
endofthelinefinally · 22/06/2019 14:02

You have been unlucky to have encountered a known risk of pregnancy.
You have been given the correct advice and treatment.
Have you been taught how to inject? There are some good videos on you tube.
What in particular is worrying you?
Have you had the opportunity to talk it through with your midwife or consultant?
Please ask around your family to see if there is any significant history. This is very important.

endofthelinefinally · 22/06/2019 14:04

Also, report your post and ask for it to be moved to pregnancy. This isn't really the right place; you will get advice and support on the pregnancy board.

Emls92 · 22/06/2019 14:20

Hello,

Yes I have been taught and I am okay injecting them.

I am just worried about how long the blood clot takes to be dissolved? I’m just worried about whether the medication doesn’t work.. how do I know it is working? Should I be concerned about anything else?
I have no family history regarding blood clots and I am otherwise healthy and have no health problems.

OP posts:
endofthelinefinally · 22/06/2019 14:53

As long as you follow the instructions precisely you will be fine.
The medication doesn't dissolve the clot, your body does that. The medication stops the clot getting bigger, and stops more forming.
It takes between 3 and 6 months. You need to have the injections until 6 weeks post delivery.
Then you will be referred to a haematologist for investigation and advice for further treatment.
Your labour will be managed around the injections, you might be offered planned induction.

youarenotkiddingme · 22/06/2019 15:04

My mum had one after chemo.

Injected for 5-6 weeks and then went on tablets. It dispersed pretty quickly with the treatment. And she didn't know she had it apart from the post treatment scan which picked it up!

endofthelinefinally · 22/06/2019 15:34

You can't have the tablets during pregnancy. So the injections have to be continued until the risk of clotting has passed.
Very often there does turn out to be a significant family history, in the absence of other risk factors in the pregnant woman.
Pregnancy is one risk factor, family history another, obesity, smoking, age, immobility, and several others. 3 or more in one person is considered a substantial risk.
OP, please do talk it over with your midwife. They know your condition and I am dure they will reassure you.

Teddybear45 · 13/07/2019 23:53

Have you been tested for a clotting disorder? Some rare types don’t allow your body to dissolve a clot when formed and so you might need more than Clexane.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.