My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Life-limiting illness

Hand hold needed please!

2 replies

celticecho · 18/07/2017 09:52

So, I'm currently on my way to Scotland (from Bedfordshire) to meet with my father's consultant regarding palliative care for him.

He had surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm back in February and developed a number of complications. The end result of this is that he now has an untreatable infection and has been given just a few months to live. Treatment for the infection has been withdrawn and as my dad's only child (parents divorced), it's my responsibility to make sure he is cared for as best as I can manage while I'm 300 miles away!

My dad has decided that he doesn't want to know very much about what is going on. I'm not sure if he is burying his head in the sand or if he just isn't able to handle the fact that he is dying.
He's only 65 and it all seems so unfair!

Can anyone offer and words of wisdom to help me through? I'm feeling the pressure a bit at the moment! It's been a really difficult year and is unlikely to get any better!!

Apologies if this is just a garbled post! I'm not really sure how to explain everything that is going on!

OP posts:
WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo · 18/07/2017 17:52

Sorry I don't have any very useful advice, but didn't like to see your post unanswered. Hopefully this will give it a little bump and someone with useful experience will be along shortly.

I am so sorry for your father and for you Flowers

Hopefully the consultant will be able to point you towards any organisations that can help - maybe a local hospice or social services?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo · 18/07/2017 17:53

You could also try Sue Ryder or Marie Curie, both charities providing end of life care

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.