My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Life-limiting illness

Starting to question MS - how do I ask the dr?!

18 replies

clarella · 28/10/2014 14:21

Just that really.

I'm so tired right now I can't write loads but I have just read the Ms uk symptoms page and so many of the explanations are ringing true to what I'm currently experiencing, but have experienced repeatedly through my life. Never this bad though.

OP posts:
clarella · 28/10/2014 14:24

Sorry the app is stupid on this phone. It's a silly question I know but I guess I feel so embarrassed constantly going to the dr and sounding like a hypochondriac. Do I just ask outright and say 'could it be Ms?' And tick all the symptoms I experience on the website?

Tia

OP posts:
weird2014 · 02/11/2014 22:34

I have MS. It is a strange disease and so many of the symptoms could be other things. I would just go to your GP, tell them your concerns and the symptoms and ask for a referral to a neurologist. It's not an easy time but I wish you luck with it.

NewEraNewMindset · 02/11/2014 22:37

They can test for MS with an MRI or lumbar puncture.

PickledInAJar · 02/11/2014 22:39

I second weird2014, I have MS and the go referred me for a brain scan because he thought I had a brain bleed from concussion after a head injury.

On the scan they found no bleed but lots of lesions on the brain. My gp was shocked as he wasn't expecting that any more than I was.

It can't hurt to discuss it with your GP - they can think what they like.

weird2014 · 04/11/2014 15:00

Just wondering how you got on clarabella?

clarella · 05/11/2014 22:22

Sorry this app is rubbish.

So I feel it's still about ruling out things methodically. But not without the realms of possibility that the conditions coexist?

I simply want to feel well and maintain wellness. It doesn't last long it seems. Fatigue and brain fog particularly come easily. For years I've found that if I keep strong I'm better and recover more quickly from thyroid dips. But I'm not sure I should be experiencing so many issues.

OP posts:
clarella · 05/11/2014 22:22

Bollocks it lost the first part!

OP posts:
clarella · 05/11/2014 22:28

The symptoms could 'simply' be due to sertraline and not enough thyroxine. I'm hypothyroid, a little hyper-mobile and very petite. So it doesn't take much knock me. Sertraline causes muscle issues apparently and also hinders thyroxine. Low thyroxine causes muscle issues and, I didn't know, carpel tunnel. However repeated periods of really struggling in my life have been frequent. This has been the most painful and weirdest, crawling skin, odd sensations, chest/ rib pains or pressure etc etc.

OP posts:
weird2014 · 06/11/2014 05:18

You are right, medical diagnosis is often a process of elimination. Hope your GP is supportive as it can be a long and difficult road identifying the root of the problems.

clarella · 06/11/2014 10:26

Yes I'm suddenly realising it after 17 years. I've found a very methodical Dr who listens and is very precise but reassuring that 'we don't yet know what will happen or what the issue is'

So the plan is to remain on a lower dose of sert and adjust thyroxine. Then I'm seeing an endo to find out if there's anything else worth looking at, possibly combo t3 and t4. It's just going to take time. And work is just going to have to take second place. Sad I think this is what I struggle with the most.

OP posts:
clarella · 06/11/2014 10:28

I guess if at a later date there are still issues, MS or lupus might be worth looking at. Obviously I very much hope it's all sorted out via plan A and through the endocrinologist.

Thank you for your help ladies (I'm assuming you're ladies!)

OP posts:
weird2014 · 06/11/2014 20:12

Yes I am a lady! Keep a diary of any symptoms. If you do subsequently need investigating for MS then it would be useful but I imagine would for other issues.

clarella · 13/11/2014 07:08

Thanks weird, yes I'm now keeping a diary.

After more research allmy symptoms could be long term under treated hypothyroidism, but I'm going to be bold with the Dr today.

Unfortunately I think I'm suffering from angina too so that might push Ms to the bottom of the "do I have" pile!

OP posts:
clarella · 22/11/2014 18:51

Not angina, but I've extreme restless leg syndrome in my whole body, particularly my back and spine and chest. The chest pains appear to be extreme muscle loss. Getting some blood tests next week.

I've regained a little muscle this week and been able to go swimming but have had extremely poor short term memory and brain fog.

I keep feeling semi numb in my thumb, mainly right, and have an extremely tender neck area, I find it painful to put my hand bag on my shoulder.

I've got an oc health meeting in a couple of weeks and then a round table discussion about 'how best to support me'. Doesn't feel too supportive right now!

OP posts:
clarella · 03/12/2014 12:51

Hi. I'm going round and round in circles.

Pain is decreased but I seem to have lost sensations in my hands and arms as well as slightly altered dexterity.

I came across something on patient.co.uk which I recognised; a tugging, pulling sensation in my thorax/ abdomen (from pelvis up to upper chest). It's almost as if I've had an attack of this along with tingling itching internal pain or fizzing spinal bones over the last two weeks, tingling in my whole body at times, hands and feet. Skin swollen. It's abating today.

I'm being tested for addisons following an endo visit but to me the issues appear to be more nerve related.

Brain has been very odd lately too.major short term memory loss and confusion.

I'd started thinking vit b12 issues but main bloods were normal, though the requested b12 test wasnnt done

I guess I'm asking if anyone can relate to the internal tugging in any way?

I'm just trying to get better as quickly as i can by hammering on the gp.

Shall I ask for an outright neurological referral?

OP posts:
clarella · 03/12/2014 12:55

Would they only refer if I've had more than this 'attack'?

I've had a history of phases of fatigue with associated anxiety but usually linked it to thyroid.

I came across something somewhere that said low thyroid hormones don't help in Ms as they help with the myelin -though theoretically maybe it's a vice versa situation? Ie low thyroid has trashed my nerves?

OP posts:
clarella · 14/12/2014 21:06

Things have improved a little; my brain is back and I'm not as tired. I'm having an addisons test on Wednesday.

OP posts:
no2formoi · 15/03/2015 12:14

I have ms almost 2years for me. My symptoms started with my foot dragging it then cleared up. Came back after a few months, my gp referred me to neurologist and then went for mri ct scan and lumbar.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.