Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Will question once married

Will2890 · 01/07/2022 07:35

Morning all

i hope someone can help, we went to see our solicitor yesterday who wrote our original will as we are getting married in a few months and our old Will will be void. I always thought a new will had to be drawn up so it was valid after marriage but he said he can add a note to our current will saying we’re married and that we want the will to be valid after marriage. Is this right?

thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

WhereIsVillanelleWhenNeeded · 01/07/2022 07:51

Can’t offer any advice other than trying Google.

Did you not think to raise this concern with your solicitor when you were there?

Please
or

AquaticSewingMachine · 01/07/2022 07:56

My amateur understanding from hearing the lawyers talk is that a will drawn up specifically "in anticipation of marriage" is valid after the marriage.

Please
or

Will2890 · 01/07/2022 07:59

It wasn’t drawn up in anticipation of marriage it was drawn up 3 years ago when we bought our house and wasn’t thinking of marriage then. I didn’t question it at the time as it didn’t occur to me until we got home

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nearlymelanie · 01/07/2022 18:47

Hi, I’m a solicitor. You are right, when you marry your wills will be revoked and you must make new ones, unless they stated in them when made that you were about to marry and intended them to be effective after the marrriage, and you have said that was not the case.

Your solicitor can’t simply note on the wills that they are to be valid after you marry. Do you think he meant that he will update them ready for you to sign new versions? You need to clarify it with him. You will definitely need to sign new wills and have them witnessed.

You talk about your will as if it is one document for you and your fiancé, but you will each have your own will.

i hope that’s some help, but don’t hesitate to ask your solicitor what is being done. It’s really important to get wills right.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.