Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

House fire

yepmetooo · 28/06/2022 04:13

Hi possibly panicking prematurely but could use some advice. We had a house fire 11 days ago that caused considerable damage to inside buildings and contents. Obviously trying to come to terms with loss of our home and belongings but also worried about insurance. We have cover , they immediately sent out a loss adjuster who was fairly positive about the claim. Also had a forensic person and a company to assess damage. We keep getting told different things, first we were told a company would re house us within 3-6 weeks, then we were told it would be only be for two weeks (looking at 6m before house is liveable). Next we were told to secure our own accommodation which we have done (not Signed anything yet) we were told household items would be rented for us, then told no we would have to buy out of contents money. We were told a company would do inventory then we were told we would have to. Now 11 days in I discovered claim has not been signed off as they are waiting for fire report. I'm worried they are trying to get out of claim. One concern is at time firefighters said smoke alarms failed. I said they were regularly checked (true) and they often go off when making toast etc. I didn't say this at time but they were going off when ds rang me ( he discovered fire) but it seems they may have stopped at some point. I can't remember if I mentioned alarms to forensics or not.
Another concern is that the electrical item that over heated was on ds bed plugged in so concerned they may say it's our fault. (We have accidental damage)
Is it likely they can refuse to pay out based on either of these scenarios. Tia

OP's posts:
Please
or

yepmetooo · 28/06/2022 05:18

Bumping

OP's posts:
Please
or

yepmetooo · 28/06/2022 06:45

Bumped

OP's posts:
Please
or

TFPNeighbours · 28/06/2022 06:45

Apologies I don't have any legal advice but surely you could argue the point the smoke alarms are there for your safety to make sure you exit from a fire than actually preventing a fire from spreading? So basically they act as a safety POV rather than a prevention?

Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 28/06/2022 06:51

I don’t think they could say that an electrical item overheating means they don’t have to pay. Electrical stuff overheating is the biggest cause of fires. It’s not like you started the fire on purpose.

i also agree the smoke detectors wouldn’t have stopped the fire. My insurance policy doesn’t say I need smoke detectors

Please
or

Sistanotcista · 28/06/2022 06:55

@yepmetooo - so sorry for everything you’ve been through. I’m not an insurance expert, but couldn’t read and run. However, to me there is a massive difference between accidental and arson. The electrical item may have been on your DS’s bed, but he obviously had no idea it would cause a fire. You have smoke alarms which did their job. I don’t see that you e done anything wrong here. Can you call the insurance company and ask to speak to someone senior? Explain the run around and the conflicting info you’ve been given, and ask for clear guidance. Once you have that, follow it up with a confirmation email. This is a hugely stressful and emotional time for you - having insurance is supposed to make it easier, not harder. Thinking of you and your family.

Please
or

yepmetooo · 28/06/2022 06:57

TFPNeighbours · 28/06/2022 06:45

Apologies I don't have any legal advice but surely you could argue the point the smoke alarms are there for your safety to make sure you exit from a fire than actually preventing a fire from spreading? So basically they act as a safety POV rather than a prevention?

True we weren't in so it didn't matter and the alarm did go off.

OP's posts:
Please
or

yepmetooo · 28/06/2022 07:00

Thank you everyone. I just can't stop crying. We lost everything and now I'm worried it won't pay out. . I don't know what we would do.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AliMonkey · 28/06/2022 07:05

Obviously it will depend on what your policy says but when this happened to friends, they were put up in hotel while the friends found a rental property then insurance company organised rental of furniture/equipment - insurers have deals with companies who do this - they literally turned up with a van full of everything from beds to TVs to cutlery.

Please
or

Ohthatsexciting · 20/07/2022 09:37

I clearly remember you thread op under a different name

where are you now with this?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.