Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Changing child’s surname

Cr22345678990 · 26/06/2022 22:04

Myself and child’s father are no longer together, child has fathers surname which I now regret and wish I had double barrelled it from the start. I want to be able to take my child abroad without any problems and feel like it’s fair if he has both our surnames now. I’ve asked the father and he had said no - If I got a court order what chance would I have of being successful? I’m not trying to remove his surname just double barrel.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TreeFella · 26/06/2022 22:21

Is the father involved with the child?

Please
or

Cr22345678990 · 26/06/2022 22:25

Yes they see each other very regularly.

OP's posts:
Please
or

pedropony76 · 26/06/2022 22:28

So crazy. I was actually going to start a thread about this today to see if anyone’s had any experience of changing their child’s surname.

It makes it much more difficult when one parent doesn’t consent to changing the child’s name. If the dad doesn’t consent then the court will have to decide if changing the child’s surname is in their best interests. I don’t have much advice as I’ve only started looking into changing one of my kid’s names, but I’ll attach a link to a useful site that I was looking at today. Hope that helps. There’s more information on Gov too

childlawadvice.org.uk/changing-a-childs-surname/

Please
or

pedropony76 · 26/06/2022 22:29

Please
or

BarryStir · 27/06/2022 12:06

Most of the time, in my experience, the court would direct a change to double barrel both names, reflecting the child’s identity from both parents. Much less likely if it was a change from one surname to the other, but there’s little to argue against double barrelling.

Please
or

AnotherDelphinium · 27/06/2022 19:17

Despite spending a fair amount of £ the court refused to double barrel; they said it was unfair to change his identity.

This wasn’t helped by the fact we’d already discussed double barrelling and decided against it, as then DS would have to choose which to drop when/if he got married, especially if his partner was also a double-barrel-ee.

In hindsight I wish I’d kept my surname as my married name, or my maiden name on marriage, but that’s hindsight!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.