Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I really fancy number 7

aledad · 06/11/2008 22:00

I love all my kids and feel that 7 would really compliment the family. The baby would have great brothers and would fill the last seat in my Vauxhall Vivaro.

Should we go for it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

misi · 06/11/2008 22:29

wow, brave is you!! my sister has 5 and thats a struggle. if you can cope/manage and the kids have no problem with it, why not?

Please
or

aledad · 06/11/2008 22:44

MISI thanks for the post, but you suprise me. come on you must object. 7 is a lot of kids. think about the strain on the state system and nevermind the family support?

You don't dont even know how much I earn or how good the other 6 are?

How is your sister?

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotanOtterOHappyDay · 06/11/2008 22:53

i have six ale....new to sixdome and finding it a bit rough
how old are the first half dozen?

Please
or

misi · 07/11/2008 00:08

aledad, I did say if you can cope and manage, I hope that would include a thought about how to support them all financially .
although the birth rate is heading up slightly, the trend over the last 50 years as a whole is very much down in this country. 30 years ago the average family did have 2.4 kids, now it is 1.7 but is climbing slightly but at this rate, immigration will be the only way of maintaining the population as 1.7 kids per couple means a declining population. in sweden some years ago, the population was declining because the birth rate had plummetted to only something like 1 child per couple.
here and the population was actually in negative growth. here, 25% of births I seem to have read somewhere are to foreign mums when they consist of less than 10% of the population. but it is expected that thier children will have less children per couple meaning that unless more immigration comes in, the population will start to fall again, or rather what I should write is that the population will age before falling. if thier are too many older people compared to younger people, that will put a massive strain on the state, far bigger than having an extra child will if you see what I mean.

it all evens out though in the long run. I am one of 3 kids. my sister has no kids, I have one and my other sister has 5, therefore 6 adults and 6 kids = population replenishment without growth or decline.

if your original 6 were unruly or a handful in general, I doubt you would be keen to have another unless you are from that group of people who enjoy self inflicted torment

my sister does find it difficult, but as a family we all pull together. my sister who has no kids and I are often there to help as is my mum. all 6 kids between us consider us all as de facto parents, my youngest niece oftens calls me dad by mistake (but does correct herself quite quickly).

I am sure aledad that if you are asking on this forum about a 7th child, you are either playing devils advocate, have your tongue in your cheek or genuinely want to think about this and so would not enter into a 7th child lightly. personally, most of what I have written is tongue in cheek and with your original post, there does seem an element of that in you too, ''fill the last seat in my vauxhall vivaro'' indeed

Please
or

MeggyMoggy · 07/11/2008 11:34

Chillax people. misi you can't have 1.7 children.It's not possible to have a seventh of a child!! I hate it when the gov say that!!

Please
or

kittywise · 07/11/2008 18:28

aledad I desperately want no 7. Dp says we haven't enough dosh

I keep thinking there is someone missing at te dinner table

Please
or

LongStory · 07/11/2008 20:55

To repeat my previous warnings on this board ... the likelihood of twins increases with subsequent pregnancies. Now wouldn't that mess up the car arrangements! Personally I prefer smaller numbers (max 3) on environmental grounds but recently had a rather spectacular accident - so I'm not one to talk. And larger households tend to be more eco-friendly per person, in my biased opinion - more sharing, less buying new, etc.... Good luck!!!

Please
or

Chatkins · 07/11/2008 20:59

misi - I love your argument, I will use that on negative people when I want number 4 ! My dad is the worst for slagging off anyone who has more than 2, apparently there is not enough room in this country for people to have so many kids ! He blooodywell had 6 of them!

And go for it OP, if you know you can cope. I know a lovely lady with 7 and she does a truly great job. Wouldn't want that many myself. My dream is 5, but I am just hoping I get to be allowed number 4 !

Please
or

NotanOtterOHappyDay · 07/11/2008 21:10

kitty - do you think he will come round?

dh i mean not the next baby!

Please
or

kittywise · 07/11/2008 22:40

NAO, he says he'd be happy to have on if we had the money-i'm doing the lottery and so far have won £10

Please
or

Cicatrice · 07/11/2008 22:45

I've only got one, so you can have my 0.7 or 1.4, whatever the optimal level for population replenishment is!

Please
or

misscutandstick · 13/11/2008 07:25

i always wanted 7... why?

well so far i have 5 boys, and i really wanted to test the 'sorceror' theory - where the 7th son of a 7th son is magical!!!

well ive managed 5, but another 2 to go and even if i managed another 2 i would then have to persuade ds7's wife to try to have at least 7 children, im not sure how easy that would be!!!

but if anyone has managed it, please let me know!

Please
or

NotanOtterOHappyDay · 15/11/2008 21:58

7 sounds good to me!

Please
or

largeginandtonic · 19/11/2008 09:35

Kitty i had no idea you wanted another! How old is the baby?

I am 32 weeks with #7 and suffering, the usual pregnancy niggles just become exacerbated with having so many i guess. Still only a few more weeks left.

All the children are thrilled at the prospect of a new baby, this is it though. I love the name Octavia but not enough to have #8

Please
or

Fennel · 19/11/2008 09:38

I know an 8th child called Octavia.

One of my close friends had 10 (the first 9 in 11 years), she did a phd and lectures as well, she makes it look so easy.

Please
or

jenaegi · 20/11/2008 17:32

This thread makes me feel so much better about wanting a fifth!

Please
or

Podrick · 20/11/2008 18:13

I am impressed by all of you who have gone through pregnancy and birth several times. Have you mostly enjoyed (rather than endured) your pregnancies/births?

Please
or

nappyaddict · 20/11/2008 18:24

go for it

Please
or

MarsLady · 20/11/2008 18:27

go for it!

I have 5 and think that larger families are great. Besides, we can't have that seat empty now can we?

Please
or

psychomum5 · 20/11/2008 18:28

oh, you need to fill that seat....

DS2 was conceived after I kept telling DH that is was odd having an empty seat in the car!

Please
or

belgo · 20/11/2008 18:30

Is 7 really that much different to 6? It all seems a huge amount of work to me!

No reason why you shouldn't go for it, if you have the resources

Please
or

Flightattendant4 · 20/11/2008 18:48

Oh, go for it. I would.

I only have two but seven sounds great. the only thing is the being pregnant.

Please
or

belgo · 20/11/2008 18:54

and the birth FA!

Please
or

Flightattendant4 · 20/11/2008 18:58

well, yeeees...

but I can be in denial about a three hour time slot of agony. I can't be in denial about 14 weeks of hell...

Please
or

Dottoressa · 20/11/2008 19:03

I thought you were talking about the Numberjacks.

Ho hum.

But yes, I'd have a seventh child (if someone else would do the pg bit for me). Sadly my DH won't have more than two!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.