Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How big is your house??

Nemoandthefishes · 14/10/2008 13:53

only just told family am pg with no.4 and we live in a small 3 bed semi. Now to me while more space would be lovely I am happy to bring up 4 children in this house as we are planning on getting a conservatory which will add another downstairs space. In the dds room they have a triple bunk[bottom is a double] and ds has a small room but it will fit a bunk bed in as he has a midi sleeper. Dc are all young[eldest is just 5] so are not too bothered by space and way I see it they will be used to it iykwim. So why am I letting it get me so down or am I being cruel making them 'share' rooms and space??

OP's posts:
Please
or

eandh · 14/10/2008 13:55

Only have 2 dd's so they ar elucky to have a room each buy my Dad was one of three and his Dad left my Nan when my Dad was 4 so she moved into a 2 bedroom house the room and for the next 3 years all 3 of them shared a double bed until my Nan got a 3 bed council house, my Dad said he liked it when they all shared and he didnt like it when they moved as he has the tiny box room and felt lonely!PS Congratulations!!!!

Please
or

Nemoandthefishes · 14/10/2008 14:07

thanks eandh

OP's posts:
Please
or

euromum · 14/10/2008 14:08

I am one of five and though lucky to grow up in a vicarage with 4 bedrooms, we were relatively squashed and all shared in various combinations until I was 16. I remember being slightly bothered by it in my early teens but that was more to do with the usual sibling irritation (little sisters can be very anoying...!). Now I look back on it as a great laugh and we all had a very happy childhood/youth. I think happy parents = happy children, so trust your own instincts. Have your family made comments about it, or why are you worrying? I wouldn't, especially as they are still so little. And good luck with the pg!

Please
or

catweazle · 14/10/2008 18:26

We started off in a very small 3 bed semi until our 4 were 11, 9, 7 and 5. DD is the eldest and had the boxroom (I don't think it was even 6ft square) and the 3 boys had bunks and an extra bed in the biggest room. Me and DH had room for a bed and a fitted wardrobe in the middle room

When we moved, all the bedrooms were bigger and we converted the intregal garage into a (internal) bedroom for DD. DS1 got his own room but DS2 and DS3 still had to share. Once DD left home, DS2 had her room and nobody was sharing. DS2 has gone to uni now so his room is empty for a while, but I've got nowhere for DD2 to go. I'm waiting for DS1 to move out so she can have his room!!!!!

My gt gran brought up 5 boys in a 2 up/2 down in the early years of the 1900s. I think we make far too much fuss about personal space these days

Please
or

Nemoandthefishes · 14/10/2008 18:35

thank you cat you have made me feel much better and do agree about how large families were brought up in smaller houses.

OP's posts:
Please
or

needmorecoffee · 14/10/2008 18:37

4 kids 3 bedrooms. dd sleeps with me though and the boys sahred until their sister left home.

Please
or

SqueakyPop · 14/10/2008 18:38

We moved from a 3-bed semi (two good rooms and a joke) after DC3 was born. We moved to a four-bed, all good sized rooms, which we have since extended into the roofspace. So now we have 5 DCs, an aupair, and us in a five bed, 3-bath house.

Please
or

KatieDD · 15/10/2008 21:57

I stopped when I filled the bedrooms, will build another before having another baby, I feel especially in large families it's important to have space of their own. Also a quiet place to study.
My mum was one of 6 and she is very selfish and possessive with her things and time and space.

Please
or

zaphod · 15/10/2008 22:11

We live in what was originally a 3 bed bungalow with garage, but we converted the garage and the attic space and gained an extra livingroom and 3 bedrooms. Having said that the two smallest boys5 and 6 share. Everyone likes to play musical beds anyway, and they rarely spend time alone in their rooms. They are 11, 15,12,5 and 6.

Please
or

ibblewob · 15/10/2008 22:26

Congrats OP! I think you'll be fine. One of my friends moved recently to a really big house, but her kids are still sharing a room as they preferred it that way!

(PS there's four of us in a tiny flat... I dream of a 3 bed house )

Please
or

idobelieveinghosts · 16/10/2008 12:13

we have a 5 bedroom house with 8 children.

2 DD's have a room each because of age difference. then 2 rooms with 3 boys in...but we have had to swap recently as there is a big clash of personality so there is now 2 boys in 1 room..and then 4 in the other.

We are lucky though as it is an old victorian house/hotel so huge big bedrooms.

Please
or

whyme2 · 25/10/2008 21:44

Our two oldest DDs like sharing and DS often gets upset when we put him in his own room coz he wants to be with his sisters. Youngest is still in our room but we've decided to keep the fourth bedroom as a study so that we have a quiet room or dump study.
I don't think sharing is an issue as long as the room is not crowded with stuff.

Please
or

bruces · 29/10/2008 13:21

we have a 2 bed masionette,3 children aged 12,8 and 3,the 12 year old girl has room on her own,the 8 yr old boy and 3 yr old girl share,hubby and i have sofa bed in sitting room,not always easy but we're glad to have a roof over our heads and can pay the mortgage,and it allows me to work part time.

Please
or

jade1978 · 30/10/2008 20:33

We live in a rented 3 bedroomed house, 1 dbl, 1 small dbl and a single. Have three in the small double and one in the single. Now pregnant with number 5, moving not an option at the mo, so looks like bunk beds in the little room too!! I shared a box room with my sister for years, it never did me any harm!! Sharing hasn't caused any issues so far, we stagger bedtimes and they are all good sleepers which helps.

Please
or

Biggogglyeyes · 30/10/2008 20:37

nemo - am i right that you are converting ya loft as well?? or just building a conservatory alone?

Please
or

omeNofthefleshes · 30/10/2008 20:42

BLS at the min after xmas we will be putting in a 4m by 3.5m conservatory then the plan is in a couple of years to have the loft converted with an ensuite bathroom for dh and I.

Please
or

Biggogglyeyes · 30/10/2008 20:45

yes thats right as i remembered you was talking about it. The conservatory is a good idea as it will open the space up downstairs.

Please
or

omeNofthefleshes · 30/10/2008 20:47

will be good as it will just be a playroom/study for the kids. And can always lock the door on them then

Please
or

scrappydappydoo · 30/10/2008 20:54

Can I ask - those who have bunkbeds in a box room - where do your dcs store their stuff - like clothes??? We have box room but it coudl only fit a bunk bed and not much else as you couldn't move..

Please
or

RottenOtter · 30/10/2008 20:58

its more the bathrooms than bedrooms for us

lucky to ave plenty of bedrooms but only 2 bathsrooms - well one bath one shower

i would love another showeroom and do have a room which is no used but not knowing what the future holds is stopping me converting it!

Please
or

handbagqueen · 30/10/2008 20:59

I grew up in a family of 7 kids in a 4 bed house. My oldest sister had a room of her own, Next sister and 2 brothers shared a room and me, my sister and youngest brother shared a room.

We all grew up fine and I remember my childhood being happy and fun.

Please
or

omeNofthefleshes · 30/10/2008 21:00

if we put bunks in ds room[the box room] we can fit one chest drawers and a big cupboard for toys then we would put another chest drawers in our bedroom.

Please
or

misscutandstick · 17/11/2008 07:59

5 boys, 4 bed house. 16y on his own in box room, 11y and 9y share, 3y and 2y share. we want to convert loft and build conservatory - but my guess is that by the time we 'get round to it' the boys will have moved out and we will be left with a massive house and no-one to fill it

Please
or

magnolia74 · 09/12/2008 14:33

5 kids, 3 bed house. Hubby and I sleep in the lounge, dd1 has own room, twins share, dd4 and ds1 also share. Another room would be great but we live in a fab area near to excellent schools and open pakland so would rather stay a bit cramped than move to a bigger house with less to offer

Please
or

OiOi · 11/12/2008 20:58

We have a 2 bed flat and 4 kids - 2 girls 2 boys all sharing - ds1 is almost 12 though and really needs a bit of space of his own so I think that we'll have to move him into the smaller room on his own and get a sofa bed maybe - for me and dh. Would love to move bt it's not an option for us at the moment x J

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.