Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Bunk beds for toddlers?

Mybabysmylife1 · 15/12/2020 19:25

Hey everyone , by the title I bet everyone's going to think it's unsafe. And that's what I'm here for , people's opinions.
So I have a 3 bedroom 3year old daughter is in the tiniest box room cannot even fit a set of drawers in there. 8year old son his own room /medium size
Me and partner large bedroom. So with my eldest needing his own room not sharing with my youngest boy who's 2 in our bedroom. We decided to move eldest into daughters box room as he doesn't have toys now. Me and partner into my eldest old room and the two youngest into the large room. To make room for toys would mean getting bunk beds (affordable ones) I'm just scared at my two who will be sharing are 3&2 years old. My 2 year old boy is a climber and will climb the ladders anytime he can. I've been told to take the ladders off on a night but if my daughter needs a wee she will fall. Any inputs? Thankyou

OP's posts:
Please
or

sleepismysuperpower1 · 15/12/2020 19:29

I think i would look into a trundle bed, even if its just for a few years until your older dc is around 5 or 6, and could sleep in the top bunk (its not recommended they sleep in the top bunk until age 6, and a trundle bed would mean you could pop one of the beds away during the day and just pull it out at night)

Please
or

helloxhristmas · 15/12/2020 19:33

I wouldn't do it. I didn't put my twins into bunks until they were 6 and most of them say bit for under 8.

A trundle would be a safer option for now IMO.

Please
or

Dawninglory · 15/12/2020 19:36

I wouldn't, both my children got mid sleepers at 5, and even then the manufacturer said 6+. If they are in the larger room can you get beds that you can eventually stack into bunk beds as they get older but have as singles for few years.

Please
or

negomi90 · 15/12/2020 19:38

Get a trundle bed and push it under at night. (Make sure the bed is high enough that the trundle can fit under fully made, so all you need to do is pull it out at bed time).
That way they'll climb over each other for a wee but wont fall off things and be trapped or get head injuries in the night.

Please
or

MissSmiley · 15/12/2020 21:30

Just get smaller toddler beds, my twins had them until they were about 5, they had small duvets too which fitted, no worries about them falling out and they had more room for toys, they had bunk beds eventually but I absolutely hated getting up there to change the bedding, I was so pleased when they swopped back to normal singles.

Please
or

Mybabysmylife1 · 15/12/2020 21:34

Thanks for the input guys! My son has a toddler and daughter has a single so wouldn't really want to change her to a smaller bed with her having a single for a year now , I'm going to look at trundle beds!! Never thought of them Thankyou!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cupoftchaiagain · 15/12/2020 21:37

The two year old might even fit in a cotbed for another year or 2? I think you can get junior beds quite cheaply second hand so you could just find something to make do for next couple of years then when your eldest is 5 or 6 move to the bunks. We use the ikea kura bed with a hack to make it into bunks, it’s very low and stable and my eldest was in it from 4. Younger one wasn’t a climber yet then though!! That’s more of a worry I’d guess.

Please
or

THNG5 · 15/12/2020 21:43

I know most people won't do it but we did. Same age as yours. The 3 year old (now 4) is a very sensible child so he's in the top bunk. The 2 year old (now 3) is on the bottom with a bed guard.
We didn't have a choice, space in the room dictated our choice. There's never been a problem. We have a baby monitor in there and the oldest knows to call us if he needs a wee in the night.

Please
or

Mybabysmylife1 · 16/12/2020 09:31

@THNG5 yes I agree. My daughter can open our gate to go to the toilet she knows not to open it if her brother is near the door. She is very sensible too she would be on the top. But my son is they Terror haha he's (2) currently potty training. I'm just scared he will climb to the top constantly I know he will.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.