Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Do I NEED a bedroom?

Lou2120 · 23/07/2020 09:02

Ok so I live in a 3 bedroom house and me and my husband have 3 children. 2 boys and 1 girl and age gaps of 4 and 5 years.

I'm now thinking should we give them all a room of their own each and me and my husband get a good quality sofa bed and just sleep downstairs and not have a bedroom?

The kids play in their rooms however we only sleep in our bedroom. I'd keep our wardrobes and clothes in the largest room still as it is. Has anyone ever done this?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Esthermoo01 · 23/07/2020 09:08

I think it's better for your well being to have a separate space to sleep from everyday family life. Could you just let one of the kids play on your room rather than giving it to them as their bedroom. I often do this and sometimes let one of them sleep in my bed of they are mucking about with their son then move them back to their room when they are asleep. It does depend a bit on their ages though. I think it's lovely that you want to give your children each their own space but you also need to consider your own health and well being. Sharing a room with a sib is a pretty standard for kids growing up so nothing to feel guilty about there xx

Please
or

Sexnotgender · 23/07/2020 09:09

Why do you have 2 threads?

Please
or

Tinofcurses · 23/07/2020 09:10

I'm on a sofa bed at the moment, with clothes etc stored in ds's room. It's not ideal. Even the most comfortable sofa bed is not as nice as an actual bed. It's also a massive pain putting the bedding away every morning, although I have a big wicker basket with a lid that I keep next to the sofa and use as a coffee table.

Could you put whichever kids have to share in the largest bedroom and give yourself the smallest room?

Please
or

TheFaerieQueene · 23/07/2020 09:12

That is a crazy idea. You need a bed and bedroom. Your children can share.

Please
or

AriettyHomily · 23/07/2020 09:21

I'd have the boys sharing.

Couldn't be doing with the faff of setting up a sofa bed every night and it will never be as comfortable as an actual bed.

Please
or

Nanalisa60 · 23/07/2020 09:29

I would give the boys the biggest bedroom, then you & Dh the next biggest room, and your girl the smallest room. You do still really need you own space.

Please
or

TitianaTitsling · 23/07/2020 09:33

What would happen when you or DP is in and needs to stay in bed?

Please
or

Chocolateandcarbs · 23/07/2020 09:37

I don’t think it’s good for your wellbeing to sleep long term on a sofa bed and have no space for just you and your husband. Could you fit a divider/screen/curtains in the boys room that can be put up if they decide they need more privacy?

Please
or

ClashCityRocker · 23/07/2020 09:43

What ages? How long term?

Could be a bit of a pita when they're off the age where they want to stay up later than you (or want to get up earlier than you).

Please
or

Ginger1982 · 23/07/2020 10:25

I couldn't sleep long term in the living room. If you want to give them all a room could you move or extend?

Please
or

Beetlewing · 23/07/2020 10:32

I don't know why it's seen as a thing that kids should have their own rooms. I shared with two brothers til they left home and then my sister, we had a spare room too, we liked the company of each other. My kids, although they do have their own rooms, often bunk up together or make dens and sleep in there instead of their own separate bedrooms. Keep a room for yourselves, kids are fine sharing

Please
or

OneRingToRuleThemAll · 23/07/2020 10:33

A 3 bed is plenty for a family of 5. Parents get the largest room, boys share the middle room and girl gets the small room. It's a very modern concept for children to have their own room, and the wants of children to be prioritised over the needs of adults.

Please
or

Toilenstripes · 23/07/2020 10:37

Why would you do this? Children are smaller and have fewer clothes. Also, they don’t pay the bills.

Please
or

teablanket · 23/07/2020 10:37

My mum did this for a while and it wasn't a great long-term plan. Kids are fine sharing, and sleeping in the living room isn't great for relaxation/switching off at night. There are also logistical issues -- where would you store your clothes? If it's in one of the kids rooms, it won't really feel like "their" room. If you or your partner fall ill and need quiet rest in bed, how will that work if your bed is also the sofa?

Please
or

Iwantacookie · 23/07/2020 10:40

I wouldn't I've got my sons sharing and theres a 7 year age gap. My youngest son takes over my bedroom in the day.
It works well for us.
It is hard as they are getting older and want privacy but theres the bathroom to dress and if they want some peace and quiet in their own room its give and take.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 23/07/2020 10:41

What is the age gap between the boys?
Is the largest bedroom big enough to split?

Please
or

FrugiFan · 23/07/2020 10:53

Sofa beds are not designed for sleeping on long term. They're uncomfortable and the mattresses are usually very thin so bad for your back. I would definitely look at getting the kids to share for as long as possible

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 23/07/2020 10:56

I think as you don’t need to do this you shouldn’t, it’s not going to be beneficial. The cons out weigh the pros.

Please
or

INeedNewShoes · 23/07/2020 11:01

I think its really important for tons of reasons that you have your own bedroom.

I'd make the smallest room your bedroom, if you can just fit a bed and wardrobe in there or the middle room if need be. Then have two kids sharing the largest room and the other in the small/middle room.

Please
or

Snog · 24/07/2020 10:37

You need a decent bed and a sofa bed doesn't make the grade imo.

Please
or

starlingsintheslipstream · 24/07/2020 10:47

We're a family of 5 in a 3 bedroom house. It'd never occur to me to give up our room. The boys (14 and 12) share the biggest room. My and dh have the middle one with dd in the box room. My brother was in the same situation and partitioned off his biggest room to make 2 small rooms. They are tiny spaces but with clever storage. It works for them as their boys argued endlessly and is just a stud wall so can be removed when/if they sell up.

Please
or

Redwinestillfine · 24/07/2020 10:51

It's a slippery slope op. You and DH in the master then the boys need to share the biggest bedroom. When you said large family I was expecting a thread about the logistics of squeezing 5 or 6 kids into a 2 bed, not 3 kids into a 3 bed. Surely that's pretty standard?

Please
or

Darkestseasonofall · 24/07/2020 10:54

Seems madness to me, you won't have any privacy, you'll never be able to have sex without keeping an ear out, presumably the older ones will be wanting to stay up later soon.

Please
or

Thateverlastingyes77 · 24/07/2020 10:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Zaphodsotherhead · 24/07/2020 11:11

Do you have a separate downstairs space you could turn into a bedroom? This is what my mum and dad did when my brother and I needed separate rooms (two bed terrace). They turned the front room into a bedroom, and it worked well for us.

You can't sleep in the living room. It may be fine now, but when your eldest gets old enough to not go to bed at a reasonable time, what are they going to do? If they don't want to be in their room and maybe want friends to come over - are you going to sit up all night?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.