Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How Many Kids Would You Like?

nymrgn · 02/05/2020 08:19

I feel quite lonely and bored during this quarantine so discussing things here has really helped.

Just curious how many kids you'd like and why? Also age gaps, adoption ect.

Don't want this to turn into anything controversial just a nice discussion. Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Namenic · 02/05/2020 08:26

Haha - grew up as 1 of 5. Would like a big family but financially and because DH and my parents unlikely want adoption, will probably just try for another one max (3 kids total).

Please
or

nymrgn · 02/05/2020 09:19

@Namenic

OP's posts:
Please
or

nymrgn · 02/05/2020 09:20

@Namenic That's lovely. X

OP's posts:
Please
or

PinkSpring · 02/05/2020 09:22

We currently have two young children, the second was meant to be the last but we don't feel "done" so might go for a third - it would mean extending the house or moving through.

We are also interested in fostering once our own children are grown up

Please
or

nymrgn · 02/05/2020 09:37

@PinkSpring Good luck with your family. X

OP's posts:
Please
or

MamaTo7 · 02/05/2020 10:02

I have seven and would love more. I would also like to adopt. I don't have a number of children I'd like though, I guess we will stop when we feel our family is complete. @nymrgn how many kids do you want?

Please
or

nymrgn · 02/05/2020 10:13

@MamaTo7 I think 5-7 but not to sure! Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ilovecats14 · 02/05/2020 15:02

I am one of 6. I only have 1 and hes double digits now. I can't afford to move and can't expect him to share a room now so no more for me.

Please
or

Ilovecats14 · 02/05/2020 15:06

Should have added really I would like atleast 2 more. If I had the room.

Please
or

nymrgn · 03/05/2020 06:02

@Ilovecats14 I'm sorry to hear. Maybe once he's grown up you could foster or adopt? Best of luck. x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Orangecake123 · 03/05/2020 13:12

My mother was one of 8. I'm one of four. I can picture myself with 6, but might change my mind after I have one!

I'm still single. Grin

Please
or

EverythingNow · 03/05/2020 14:09

I have 4, aged 19, 10,9 and 9m. I don't think I'll ever feel done, but we are out of space now.

Please
or

TigerQuoll · 03/05/2020 14:32

If I won the lotto and could take all the maternity leave I wanted and work part-time after, I would like have 4, two sets of boy-girl twins as close together as possible. I am one of three girls (18 months between the three of us) and always wanted a little brother. With three kids two of them can gang up on the third and leave them feeling left out. With four, if two want to be mean to one they can just go play with the fourth. With boy-girl twins it won't always be just each pair of twins being super close, there will be the pairs of girls and pairs of boys too. And with four it makes so many more games possible. I think it would make for a great childhood for them.

Please
or

flapjackfairy · 03/05/2020 14:59

I have 3 grown up birth children and I am also a foster carer so I have a 14 yr old foster child who has been here since a baby and also an adopted little old. Our 5 kids range in age from 30 down to 5 yrs of age!
I am past the age of childbearing myself but I still would love more kids so desperately trying to persuade dh to adopt again. Without any success so far sadly !
I think I have an overabundance of maternal instinct Grin

Please
or

MuchTooTired · 03/05/2020 17:15

I’d have liked 4, with a two year or so age gap between them.

I have two year old twins and two more embryos in the freezer. I’m no longer sure if I want to use them, as I’m scared only one of them would stick and they’d be an only vs the twins. Another set of twins would be amazing, but a lot of work and I don’t know if I could give them all the things I could my existing twins!

It’s such a muddle in my head when I think about it.

Please
or

Goostacean · 03/05/2020 21:52

I’ve got two DSs currently, 2.5yo and 5mo. I’d like a third child. I did harbour fantasies of 5, but I’m not sure I have the energy for it! In fact I’m sure I don’t... DH wanted between 2 and 7, and after number 2 decided he was done. He seems to be softening gradually, but we shall see.

Please
or

IdentifyasTired · 03/05/2020 22:19

I have 4, all girls. In a perfect world where we are filthy rich I would ideally like anywhere between 6-10.
Helena Morrissey basically has my perfect life (apart from the career bit - crucial though I realise!)

Please
or

TigerQuoll · 04/05/2020 02:41

@MuchTooTired I think more siblings are much better than material things. I grew up in a rainforest with my sisters and my parents were dirt poor but we had no idea. My poor mother had to chop wood in the snow to keep the stove burning before we had electricity, and even after we did it would go out semi regularly when they couldn't pay the bill. We loved it though! Potatoes wrapped in foil in the ashes for dinner was my favourite ever dinner and having candles everywhere was a massive treat and exciting. We had adventures every day climbing trees and getting into mischief and had an absolute blast as kids. The fun would probably have been multiplied many times had I had even more siblings. Dad got a job in the city and we had to move when I was 8. I was miserable even though we now had plenty of material things and parents could afford for us to play sport and do clubs. Until I was at least 20 I dreamed that as soon as I had the money I would move back there (but I never did - no jobs, cut off from everywhere :-( and the appeal is higher for a kid with an imagination and ability to play than an adult)
Anyway, kids don't need sports and fancy clothes and toys to be happy. they just need a loving family. They don't know the difference really between being rich and poor (until it is so bad they are missing out on meals or clothes that fit that is, but if that was a risk you wouldn't be considering it at all)

Please
or

1300cakes · 04/05/2020 03:37

I've stopped at 2 as I feel that's a very practical and reasonable number, but I'd like 3-4. I may possibly go for a 3rd in future, but I'm afraid of it tipping the balance from being mostly enjoyable to overwhelming and horrible.

Please
or

ALittleBitofVitriol · 04/05/2020 04:18

We always imagined 4-6 when we were young newlyweds. We have 4, now aged from 6 up to 15 years old, 1 girl 3 boys. We would've loved more but fertility was never the best, I'm heading into late 30s now and so, while not impossible, probably not going to happen. I'm very content with the family I've got.

Please
or

nymrgn · 04/05/2020 04:47

@ALittleBitofVitriol Sounds like you have a lovely family. Best of luck. x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Glitterbaby17 · 04/05/2020 05:04

I always thought two of my own, as I also have an older step daughter and want to make sure we have the time and energy to dedicate to them. My DSD is 14 and DD will be 3 in a few weeks and we have a baby due in July and I’m feeling so sad this will be the last baby. We don’t really have the space or probably the time to give to another, as DSD needs as a teen are different to toddlers, plus we both work and DH is older. However I think if time and money weren’t a factor I’d like 3-4 of my own

Please
or

willowtree81 · 07/05/2020 22:35

@tigerquoll your childhood sounds amazing!! I have recently had #3 and I know I am so incredibly lucky, but I really expected to feel overwhelmed and 'done' but I completely don't 😕 40 this year though and I'm pretty sure a 'no way' from my partner to the idea of any more. Maybe 4 or 5 in a dream world.

Please
or

Threnody · 13/05/2020 18:23

I have 3 children. I always said I wanted 2, but we just didn't feel done, so had another, then still didn't feel done. I had a miscarriage in March, but I think we will try again.

Please
or

nysnet · 13/05/2020 18:27

@Threnody Sorry for your miscarriage. Best wishes for you and your family. X

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.