Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

3 year age gap - will I need a double buggy??

emstan89 · 07/07/2018 19:43

Hi all,
I am currently pregnant with my 2nd baby. I have a son who will be 2 months shy of 3 years old when the new one arrives. My question is ...Do you think I will need a double pram? I currently have the icandy peach which I loved with my first. Would you say a three year will be okay with either just a buggy board or would you opt for a second seat for when they tire? He is a very active capable walker etc.

OP's posts:
Please
or

pitterpatterrain · 07/07/2018 19:46

I wouldn’t think a double pram is needed tbh

Mine were born 3 years and 2 weeks apart - we have a buggy board on our original pram (Cruz) and very occasionally we would take two buggies if a long day out (we have a mclaran) or when DD2 was little sometimes would have DD1 in a sling if DD2 really was exhausted

Please
or

SocksRock · 07/07/2018 19:48

Mine were 2 years 3 months apart and I managed fine without a double. Sling for the baby for the first 6 months and during that time we did lots of walking with the older one. When baby got a bit big for sling, older one was good with longer walks

Please
or

Sauvignonblanket · 07/07/2018 19:54

Mind have three year gap and I didn't need one. I did get a buggy board for the pram which really helped.

Please
or

ElspethFlashman · 07/07/2018 19:55

I would say definitely not. Buggy board.

Please
or

emstan89 · 07/07/2018 20:12

Super! Thankyou everyone... that is what I was hoping for! Think I'll just a buggy board for my peach!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheCatFromOuterSpace · 07/07/2018 20:14

We didn't, we had a buggy board plus a sling for the baby if the toddler got really tired.

Please
or

frasier · 07/07/2018 20:17

DS refused to get into a pushchair the day he turned two! I only have one DC and nearly bought a buggy board lol!

Please
or

Blueberryblueberry · 07/07/2018 20:18

Definitely a buggy board, maybe with a sling in the early days for if it's needed for baby and big one in the pram. I started using the buggy board (on an empty pushchair!) for the last couple of months of pregnancy so ds got use to not being in the pushchair and wasn't bothered about the baby using it once born as he liked the buggy board by that point.

Please
or

zzzzz · 07/07/2018 20:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts · 07/07/2018 20:34

I think this depends on your lifestyle and your dc. There's 3.5 years between mine and I used a double buggy on long days out. But I don't drive, and rely on public transport, the train station was a 20 min walk away. I also had spd in pregnancy so couldn't use a sling for long periods of time with dd2.

I bought a second hand Phil and Ted's for £30 which was perfect for odd occasions and if I needed to do a big food shop 😂 sold on for the same price once they got too big.

Nothing worse than having a long day out with a tired toddler that doesn't want to walk, long wait for public transport and you just want to get home. Obviously if you drive this is less of an issue.

My dd was still occasionally napping at 3.5 in the day so couldn't have relied on her to walk.

Please
or

emstan89 · 07/07/2018 21:09

Yeah. I think that's my major concern with no double buggy... the fact my son won't have anywhere to nap in the day if we are out and about. I'll have a little think and maybe judge it by whether he is still heavily napping in the day at the time baby no 2 arrives... he does at present... naps for 1.5 hours. . But Thankyou everyone for your suggestions!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

rebelrosie12 · 07/07/2018 21:12

Had the same gap and just kept my single. Took buggy board and sling everywhere for a few months and now mainly the older one walks w eve got rid of the board.

Please
or

YorkieDorkie · 07/07/2018 21:45

26 month gap, I have a double but now my eldest is 2.5 she doesn't use it.

Please
or

rachelfrost · 16/07/2018 18:59

Had almost exactly the same age gap with first couple of kids. Had buggy board and pram. Found the older one’s naps and tired times were predictable enough for me to work around them. Also the older one was able to obey me when I told him to get on buggy board. I did sometimes take a scooter (with a lead!) with me so that if he wanted a break from buggy board he could still keep moving.

Now have two much closer in age and have to use a double buggy, which does get through doors but is cumbersome and blocks pavements, can’t be lugged up steps etc

Please
or

rachelfrost · 16/07/2018 19:02

Also, we had a bit of string tied to the side of buggy which he liked holding onto while walking alongside and it kept him close. (It was called the ‘drag-on’ string because it was red and orange like a dragon and absolutely not to be dragged on :) )

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.