Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

MIL godmother gives no present for baptism

Sofygwh · 22/04/2016 14:52

Hi all, my MIL insisted to be the godmother to our son and she just gave us a card (with no money or else), no present at all. My parents gave us money + gift. She said she would do something but still nothing after more than 2 months. I don't want to be rude but I'd like to approach the matter. I think it's been rude to her to turn up without even a small gift. Opinions on what I should do pls? Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Somerville · 22/04/2016 14:57

You can't approach her asking for a gift. Shock

It's unusual for a grandparent to also be a Godparent. The next time she tries to insist on anything not to your liking, make sure your husband puts his foot down.

Please
or

PeppasNanna · 25/04/2016 22:51

You really can't ask for a present! Blush
Would make you as rude as her!!

Please
or

Iwonderif · 29/04/2016 18:49

Tricky. Being a grandparent is a role that's a privilege in itself and one that doesn't require the need for anything else.

Why she should want to be a godmother as well seems it's clearly all about her. Incredibly rude to not give a gift to the child as the norm is to naturally give a gift of some sort. Godparent/grandparent anyone invited to such a special occasion.

Wouldn't bother asking OP. It leaves a bitter taste I'm sure but it would get you nowhere I reckon.

Please
or

icklekid · 29/04/2016 18:50

There is nothing to be done. Would have been nice of her to give a present but not obligatory. If you didn't want her to be then you shouldn't have let her be!

Please
or

msrisotto · 29/04/2016 18:50

Why on earth do you expect a present from her anyway? Is this a thing? Paying for the 'privilege' of being godparent?

Please
or

ThroughThickAndThin01 · 29/04/2016 18:52

What should you do? Absolutely nothing. It's up to her whether she gives a present, godmother or not.

Very weird though, for grandparent to be godparent.

Please
or

Hariasa · 29/04/2016 18:54

You should do nothing.

A gift is usual but not mandatory.

You would be so incredibly in the wrong to demand a gift.

Please
or

ShatnersBassoon · 29/04/2016 19:00

WWJD? Probably not ask his in-laws for cash and gifts because he wanted his kid baptised.

Please
or

Friolero · 29/04/2016 19:04

Of course you can't approach her to ask for a present, that would be incredibly rude!

Please
or

gamerchick · 29/04/2016 19:05

Its rude to ask for and expect a gift. Seriously let it go!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.