Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

3 kids, 3 bed house - bedrooms

sbutt78 · 24/01/2014 13:23

Hello, I'm thinking of giving up my bedroom so that all 3 of my kids 15, 8 and 5 can have their own rooms. I'm sick of the constant bedtime arguments between my 5 & 8 year old.... also the 8year old is hard work behaviour wise and I feel it would be good for him to have his own space.

So we are thinking of getting a sofa bed and sleeping downstairs. Does anyone else do a similar thing?

Look forward to your thoughts.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Middleagedmotheroftwo · 24/01/2014 13:25

Where would you keep all your stuff?

Please
or

purplemurple1 · 24/01/2014 13:29

When we were kids (5kids in a 3 bed) we split the rooms with bookcase/wardrobe/curtains so each got their own space. Could you do that with largest room for two of the kids?

Please
or

sbutt78 · 24/01/2014 14:15

well the biggest room (kids room) has built in wardrobes and all my stuff and partners is in there anyway. they have their own wardrobe in there too and chest of drawers each. So our stuff would just stay where it is.

our room is used for us to sleep in and we have a chest of drawers in there which we could leave in there

I'm not sure we have the option to split rooms, just because the way the room is laid out. But could think about that x

OP's posts:
Please
or

littlepeas · 24/01/2014 17:09

I wouldn't do it unless you have a dining room, or something that can be your bedroom. It sends a message that you are furthest down the pecking order, which I don't think us a great idea.

Please
or

gamerchick · 24/01/2014 17:11

I would do it. Might have to stick an air brick in the living room though.

Please
or

MissPryde · 24/01/2014 17:18

No, I would not do this. Unless any of your children are special needs, I don't see why you would give in to this. They do need to learn to get along with others, including having their siblings share their space. The most I would offer if the situation is dire and affecting all of your sanity, is giving your eight year old the option, at bedtime, to sleep on the sofa himself.

Please
or

pancakesfortea · 24/01/2014 17:22

Is it about bedtimes or personal space / having friends over? If its just bedtimes could one of the younger ones go to sleep in your room then be carried upstairs later?

Please
or

Middleagedmotheroftwo · 24/01/2014 21:11

I wouldn't do it either. Adults need a private place where they can shut kids out of from time to time. Children will need to learn to share.

Please
or

sbutt78 · 27/01/2014 12:11

Thanks all for your replies.

My 8 year old has behavioural problems, we don't have a dining room or anything so I was aswell thinking his own bedroom would be a space for him to go to calm down etc.

we have decided to stick with what we have at the moment and for my youngest to go into our bed at night and then carry her to bed.

:-)

OP's posts:
Please
or

NAR4 · 27/01/2014 17:00

Put your youngest and oldest in together. That's what we did with our older 3 Ds. It was because the middle 1 has behaviour problems and couldn't cope with/was too annoying to share a room. Works fine for us. Your oldest might not be keen but is also old enough to understand.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.